The Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shield

I've now finished my epic 13-hour Shield2 session, which arrived on DVD from America the other day.

The show is thankfully as strong as it was before, and is in my opinion the strongest show in production at the moment. Heck, the series fits with what I like so much that I'd go as far to say that it's the best series ever made.

Though the smaller side-stories lack the power of the original series, (Dutch catching the serial killer in series one was extremely powerful and surprisingly satisfying for example) the larger plot lines match it blow for blow. My biggest fault would probably be that some of the plot lines felt too grand, far too big and stupid for the characters to be able to handle, thus stretching my imagination a little too far, however in all this is a very impressive followup to the original.

I don't want to say anything about the story assuming others will also want to watch it some day.

The DVD comes with a number of features (not seen yet) plus around an hour of deleted scenes, some of which include commentry. Also included is a trailer for Season 3, which doesn't reveal anything you won't already know having seen the final episode of Season 2. A handful of episodes feature commentry too.

I cannot recommend this program enough to anyone who enjoys police drama or the high quality programs coming out of America at the moment. Word of warning though, this show is very rough - within seconds of episode one in season two, you see two guys executed by having a car tire hung around their necks and then set on fire. It's very nasty right to the end, but this is what creates such power and raw emotion. The things shown you'd never think should be allowed on TV, and this is what sets it apart so far from anything else.

Just get it

yo

ive just watched Series 1 on dvd over 3 nights (4 shows a night and 5 tonight)

I have to say i havent enjoyed a series as much since 'Oz'

I will be ordering my 'Shield Series 2' tomorrow

Though it looks like ill have to order it on region1 (USA) as i cant find it on region2 anywhere

Got my first series for ?17-99 from play.com, bargin!!!!!

Dude, id recommend you get the first 2 series of OZ too, the 3rd series is out end of feb, that is also a great series!

Comment

Best show on TV. Without question.

Thankfully five are now showing reruns of season one, so I can catch up on it. As for season two, all hail the new bloke in the strike team. Especially...

Originally posted by spoiler
      When we plays russian roulette with that 'card' perp, having palmed the bullet. Ace.

Comment

I got the first season on DVD for Christmas, and I've watched the first four episodes so far. It's extremely promising, and I get the feeling that it's just going to get better. Not that I'm surprised though, the americans really do know how to do drama.

I'm just glad I've found something to fill the void for a while during the wait for Season Four of the West Wing to reach terrestrial television or 24 Season Three to hit DVD. At least I'm led to believe that the third season of Six Feet Under isn't too far away from making it to Channel Four.

Comment

Could anyone tell me what the final song of the series is (the final montage)? I just can't get it out of my head...

Comment

The band is called Live, on the Album V.

Dunno what they are like, but this song is very good.

Comment

I'd just like to add my stamp of approval. I've just finished watching the Season One set, and I'm absolutely hooked. I was expecting a by-the-numbers 'alternative' cop show ? what I got was a show that ranks amongst the very finest American drama shows around at the moment. I can't wait to lay my hands on Season Two. Highly recommended.

Comment

Is it 4:3 pan and scan or 16:9 widescreen ?

Comment

Gonna be ordering my 2nd Series on Thursday when i get paid!!

Will keep me happy till Oz Series 3 is released end of feb!

Comment

Pete J

where did you order form an how much

Comment

Play USA - ?32.99

It is possible you get caught for import tax, however I did not.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                        Play USA - ?32.99

It is possible you get caught for import tax, however I did not.
                        Did you ask them to mark it down or as a gift to avoid tax, does anyone know if they will do this.??

Cheers for the link pete. 8)

Comment

No, with Play they always send it out as it is, refusing to mark down. It is highly unlikely you'll get stung, however it has happend to me a couple of times (twice in about 90 DVDs).

Comment

It seems to be fairly random with PlayUSA, I've spoken to a couple of people who have managed to avoid import duty, but I recently bought the first ER set from them, and I got stung for nearly ?10.

I bought my copy from loaded247.com where it's ?34.99, but you're apparently guarenteed no import duty. I've only used them once so far, but mine came through the next day with no extra charge.

The Shield at loaded247

Oh, and it's well worth it. I'm currently eight episodes in, and it's just as good, if not better, than the first season.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                              No, with Play they always send it out as it is, refusing to mark down. It is highly unlikely you'll get stung, however it has happend to me a couple of times (twice in about 90 DVDs).
                              It seems like I'm just the unlucky one then. Typical!

Comment

Working...
                              X