Spiderman 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiderman 2

First thing's first - this game has one of the most spectacular and enjoyable control systems I've ever had the pleasure of using (in an action game, at least). Treyarch have managed to capture the essence of 'being' Spiderman as well as it can be done, with both the webslinging and fighting systems working extremely well. Moreover, the graphics engine is equally stunning, pulling off some truly exhilirating feats when you're hurtling between the towering skyscrapers of New York without a hint of slowdown.

The whole 'sandbox' approach suits the game very well (someone elighten me as to where the hell that particular definition came from), with the city completely decked out with detailed buildings, traffic and citizens. Missions are quite varied, especially taking into account the time trials, stunt challenges, pizza delivery and photo-taking missions.

It took a day to 'finish' the meat and bones of the game (the Doc Ock storyline, basically). Upon finally beating Octavius my playtime was a mere 7 hours 15 minutes, and you see more of Black Cat during that time than you do of any other character. That said, the inclusion of extra characters from the Spidey canon is appreciated and helps pad out the game's universe a little more. The trick is, even having essentially completed the game (end sequence and credits have rolled), I'm still only at 49% total completion. There are, you see, hundreds of little secrets and awards you can pick up, just like GTA; better still, the game's so damn enjoyable to play that I'm more than happy to go through to the bitter end.

The game's split into chapters, another of which begins even after you've beaten Octavius ('The First Day Of The Rest Of Your Life', it's called), so I get the feeling there may be yet more up this game's sleeve.

A word of caution though, even though the game only contains a few spoilers as to the contents of the movie, the end FMV seems to be taken directly from the film's climax. Luckily I was so busy hammering seven bells out of Octavius that I managed to accidentally skip the end sequence, but it looked like spoiler city from the second of footage I did see.

Overall - fantastic game. Hugely enjoyable and possibly the most comprehensively successful comic book game to appear for ages, if not forever. I look forward to hearing other people's opinions - a review will be on its way very soon.

Last edited by charlesr; 30-06-2004, 06:05.

Originally posted by Inertia_
    The whole 'sandbox' approach suits the game very well (someone elighten me as to where the hell that particular definition came from)
    Straight outta the .nfo Not had the pleasure of playing this yet, sounds good though.

Comment

Sandbox is a referral to a child's sandpit or sandbox, as our American cousins would have it. You can put a kid in the sandpit and they can experiment with the sand, making castles, writing and drawing in the sand etc. and do whatever they like in that little world with no aims or goals except what springs to their own imagination.

With regard to Java's use of the word, it means that Java programs can do what the hell they like inside the JVM (java virtual machine) but can't get out of it, thus crashing the system.

Gunrock

Comment

Impressive

Words can not express how impressed I am with this game. After the dissapintment that was Driv3r and the lack of good licenced games, I was cautious about getting my hopes up. This may be the most enjoyable licenced game I've played since goldeneye. It perfectly captures the feeling of being Spiderman and the feeling I get swinging from building to building reminds me of when I first saw Toby do it in the cinema in 2002.

Controls are very accesable (after inverting the left/right camera) and instictive, though I still havn't being able to master the dodge system in multiple bad guy fights (which happens a lot).

I've tried to avoid the story mode so far, though I have progressesd somewhat, and have been concentrating on the minigames, street crime and just swinging around New York for fun. The street game does seem to be a little repetative as their doesn't seem to be an over abundance of senerios but it hasn't detracted from my enjoyment. I'm suprised of the inclusion of little mini missions that doesn't involve violence reminding me of GTA's little missions like taxi mode.

In conclusion; fantastic game. One of the best commercial games played for ages, and the only major gripe I have with it is that it seems that it'll end too soon.

-Concrete Donkey-

Comment

This game sounds great... but it's also a summer blockbuster license? Tis not normal!

Anyway, could someone enlighten me as to how the webslinging controls work? Looking at the complicated acrobatics in the films, I'm wondering how the hell such fluid and accurate movements could be translated onto a control pad. Swinging from one arm while aiming a thread with another... hmm.

Comment

Web slinging

First off, Tig you're absolutly right. A great game based on a summer blockbuster licence doesn't conform to convential wisdom, but every rule has it's exeption.

Now about Web Slinging. First off the game offers a choice of how they work; simplistic and normal. I havn't bothered with trying simplistic but I imagine its very much the same as the first game.

With normal web slining you need something to lock onto in order to swing, but it's not like you have to aim it like a gun. Basic web slinging technique is that you point your analogue stick in the general direction you want to go and which side of the street you want the web to go, and Spidy does the rest. Like you see in the first film, if you dont shoot of another web, preferably on the other side of the road, you'll slam into the building. There are several styles of web slinging around the city you can experement with based on when you make the next web and let go of the old which has different but natural effects. You get to unlock more complex manuvers as the game goes on like using to webs to slingshot yourself through the sky or swinging on lamposts between slings which is quite fun.

Web slinging is one of the most fun aspects of the game, and I've spent hours just webing my way across the city experementing with different techniques, trying to look as heroic as I can. Because you unlock differnet tricks as the game goes on your not overwhelmed by possibilities, and the tutorial is pretty good in showing you the basics.

Hope this answers your questions.

-Concrete Donkey-

Comment

The game sounds amazing!

How big are the worlds? I found the worlds in the first installment a bit small.

Comment

Well based on whats been said iv placed an order with my favourite webstore.. Amazon but the delivery estimate i have got from them is 12th July so iv got an agonising 10 day wait. I only really order games from Amazon anymore due to being the only place along with GAME who will return and refund you if you dont like it etc.

An interesting thought. Does hype ruin a game? I think ill be starting a thread for this beauty.

Comment

Well, my conclusions about the game after the dust has settled aren't quite so earth-shattering as it initially seemed.

But they're close.

The review's written and should be up soon.

Comment

You sir are a cock tease.

Comment

I'm gonna ahve to disagree with your graphically, the game is an average-a-thon, the worse thing for me based on my five minutes of game time is the absurd build that Spiderman has.

Comment

Just been playing this on the Xbox for the last hour or so. Its one of the most fun games I've played in ages. Graphics aren't amazing, but by console standards there's a nice large city to play in, draw distance is excellent and the animation of spidey is spot on.

OK, so its not going to win any awards for originality, but the idea has been very well implemented.

I never saw this one coming on the radar, but basically I can't recommend it highly enough.

Comment

Pleased to hear it ascender. Mine should be on its way shortly from Amazon.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this one too.

Whilst I'll agree graphically it's not the best looking game in the world, I have to say that in terms of just sheer fun it's brilliant.

I really enjoy just swinging around the city, maybe sorting the odd random crime. The sense of speed and height when swinging around it amazing. I also like the many moves you have at your disposal. It's very easy to look very stylish when moving around.

Aside from one level - which I have to say is the most annoying level I have played in a game for a long long time this game is very very enjoyable and one I think I will return to in time (much like you would with GTA etc) to just kill time swinging around a city

Comment

Im stunned. If I could have picked any game that I would predict with 100% certainty to be rubbish, it would have been this. Based on what everyones said, im going to order this. Is it developed by the same company that did Spiderman 1 on the xbox? surely not?

Comment

Working...
                              X