Donkey Konga 2 : Hit Song Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donkey Konga 2 : Hit Song Parade

Donkey Konga 2: Hit Song Parade for GameCube * In our warehouse. Donkey Konga is a drum music game developed by Namco. Similar as the Taiko no Tatsujin series (available for PS2™) you are playing this game with a special drum controller. Up to 4 players can play simultaneously.The second installment of the popular konga music game features a collection of hit J-Pop music. Two new mini games are included with the game as well, which are different from the former work.A great party music game.

Received it this morning and have had a brief go on this with my brother to test out the multiplayer aspect of it which the previous Donkey Konga series relied on... The multiplayer is so much more fun as you are competing with the person which in turn makes you want to always outbeat them. One player is great but its just not got that added extra to play it. Its hilarious fun in multiplayer.

From the brief play earlier on everything is much more polished and cleaner looking. Eg the circles and the clap symbols look to be a lot clearer and brighter looking. Their is also a new addition at the end which makes it completely frantic. Although my japanese isnt great (try limited) we worked out that it was a paper, scissors, stone game so at the end along with combos you need to win the paper, scissors, stone aswell.

One of the songs we played was really dull but that was due to the easiness of the level. It only had about 2 bananas by it. We then went for one which had like 8 bananas and it was tremendous fun. Its really hard to navigate at the moment though because the menu is completely different to the last DK and we even found some mini games on our travels where you have to beat the drums to get the characters. Im not exactly sure what this is so forgive the vague explanation.

I would highly recommend it and it will be much more accessible once a translation goes up on the net.
    Last edited by Ginza; 07-07-2004, 19:27.

Do you know if the Freeloader saves this time around?

I am not holding out any hope.

Comment

According to Lik-Sang and P-A it works fully with the Freeloader.

Comment

Joy

I wonder why the first version didnt save.

Comment

Been playing this for the last few hours, and over all it is very good, but a darn sight more Japanese than the first one, is there a menu translation about anywhere? Also what the hell is it you are meant to be doing at the end of each song? :unsure:

Some of the songs are quite slow, but then some of them are really catchyh However i won't mention the Bad Jazz that they have turned the zelda theme into :'(

Comment

Something happens at the end of each song... appears to be some sort of "help" text, as you can go into the "options" screen and view all of the ones you get. Seems to be completely random as to how you get them though.

What's with the little person icon you assign to your hi-scores? There's another screen in options where you can see a number of these with "x1" by them, and a load of ? circles as well.

Apart from that, it appears pretty much the same sort of thing, just with a few of the menus changed structure. Anyone have any idea what the option with the river picture is? Just hit the drums and get images on the screen?

I also noticed that if you have a DK1 save on the same card, you can use any of the drum SFX you bought in DK1 within this...
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Do you guys think this is a definate purchase if you have the first?

Comment

I think the little image next to your score is to replace a name board I think. Each person who plays the game will pick an icon and this represents them rather than text. I also thought the little "Help text" is actually you unlocking something.
                I seemingly only get it when I 1st get a gold DK rating for the song. Could well be wrong but it seems this way.

As for the river mode, well I'm baffled what you have to do. I think that what it may be is that for every 50 hits you get a different icon. Each icon seems to be one that was won on when the "Help text" mentioned earlier appears. The text may be an explanation of what the character/object did in the DK games, similar to the statues in Smash Bros.

As for navigation of the game it appears as easy as the 1st on in honesty with a bit of trial and error. The main screen is something like this:

(Anti clockwise from menu)
                Blue: Main game. 1P, 2P, back.
                Orange:2P mode of all the songs you've opened
                Red: Marathon mode. Play loads of songs in a row until your energy runs out
                Light Green: Mini games that have to be bought. It seems that you pay to play them every time, maybe you can buy them outright somewhere?
                Light blue: Options. Green=Controller sensitivity. Yellow=Sound levels. Orange=? Delete game?
                Grey=Return to title
                Purple: High scores
                Pink: Songs to buy
                Darker Green: Bizarre river mode
                Yellow: Similar to main game, focus on accuracy than high score I think.
                Last edited by bowser123; 05-07-2004, 20:54.

Comment

Best song so far is the one that starts like the march song from Full Metal Jacket but in Japanese. It then goes into some crazy Japanese tune. Honest . To get it choose pink from the menu, then yellow and choose the song that costs 1600 inbetween "Realize" and "Wild Challenger". It's on a yellow card.

007- If you own the original and like it then essentially it's an add on disc with new songs. Some of the mini games are really good too. It's nothing new TBH. I like it though The background graphics have been greatly enhanced though.

Comment

I think you mean the Naruto theme which is really great , as is Wild Challenger, with 'monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey'

Comment

Gutted!

My copy arrived today and within 15 mins of playing the game my 3 week old telly has gone on the blink.

Hopefully i should be able to get a replacement tommorow so i can have some Konga action.

Comment

omusremit- Yeah, it's called Naruto when you play it. Don't think it's labeled that when buying though, could be wrong. I like the way the computer/ player 2 fills in the the part of the song that the soldiers sing. You control the general, the other the soldier. Nice.
                        "Monkey Monkey" lyrics inWild Challenger is nice too.

BTW, what did you mean before when you asked what are you supposed to do at the end of each song?

Comment

Is it different to DK1 then...? In that it isn't just the expert version of songs you can buy, there are some you have to buy full stop to be able to play of any difficulty? Just a little confused there...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Where did you guys get this from and what shipping did you use?

I've ordered mine from Play Asia, standard airmail shipping and it hasn't turned up yet

Anyone else waiting???

Comment

Play Asia, standard airmail. I did pre-order about 2 months ago though, so maybe pre-orders shipped quicker/had priority???

Strange thing with them is I always pay for a padded envelope but they always send my orders in a little box that costs more on the site at no extra expense. Kinda cool I thought

Comment

Working...
                              X