Silent Hill 4: The Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent Hill 4: The Room

Silent Hill 4: The Room for PlayStation 2A new Silent Hill adventure, where terror comes to your roomHorrific new monsters, including spirits that can attack through wallsExpansive areas to explore, including a forest, prison, and hotelA cast of mysterious new charactersLanguage: English/Japanese (selectable)Henry Townshend finds himself trapped in his apartment that has been cursed by a deeply rooted evil. Only by exploring mysterious portals leading to disturbing alternate worlds will Henry begin to uncover the truth. However, in true Silent Hill fashion, mysterious new characters, horrendous creatures, and the undead will use any means necessary to impede his progress. Silent ...

Ive had an hour or so's play on this today already and have some very brief early impressions.

Ill be the first to admit, I was highly sceptical of this game. I found SH3 to be someway short of SH2, albeit still a great game, my fear was that it was running out of steam and ideas needed to keep the series on track. A hour spent with SH4 though has fortunately set my mind at ease somewhat, so far its very promising indeed.

The premise is that you play a character called Henry, haunted by a recurring dream of a nightmareish world. His reality is little better however, as Henry is a prisoner in his own apartment, the doors and windows are sealed (although surreally he can still see normal life outside) and things dont seem quite right. Not to mention a large hole in his bathroom leading to another world.

The hallmarks of SH are all here, the brilliant and atmospheric music, the haunting sound effects (what is that chatter coming from that hole?), and of course the grimy, dark graphics. Character models appear to of been improved somewhat also, whilst the central character Henry is initally appealing. So far Ive only met one other character, the alluring and (it has to be said) luscious Cynthia, being a strong point of the SH series Id expect character development to feature promininntly in this game. I wont spoil the monsters, but Ive already jumped out of my skin at one point, gone are the slow, meandering dog(things) of the last game, in their place comes lightening quick enemies which can also take a right beating. Thankfully, once downed, Henry is able to stamp on them whilst on the floor to improve his chances and kill time.

You start the game in first person perspective, which is a first for the series, and is used whenever Henry is in his apartment (as opposed to in 'another' world). Controls seem the same as before, you do have a quick select option for changing weapons and using items which should serve to make the game flow better than before. Combat is also the same initially, slow and cumbersome movements, all the more noticeable when facing enemies such as the one mentioned above.

Ill be playing this most of tonight Id expect as its one Ive really been looking forward to, id suggest already that fans of the series will enjoy this as much as I am right now. The idea in itself is unique enough to make the game different, Im hoping that what has started off as a good game will finish upd up as a great one.

Its completely import friendly also, as the option to switch to English text is available, whilst speech is also in English.
    Last edited by marcus; 18-06-2004, 08:39.

Excellent impressions. You've relieved some of the concerns I had about this. Let's hope the good start continues.

Comment

The next game in one of my most loved series is released...and my PS2 doesn't work. I can't believe it, such bad timing.

I look forward to some stupidly indepth discussion in a few weeks time, just like we did for SH3!

Comment

And I'm looking forward to joing in this time. For once I'm only a few minutes late to the party!

Comment

Stupid question I know, but is this game actually set in Silent Hill this time?

Comment

I should have this soon, and like square will be able to join the first play thread with my opinions. What i really wanna know is if the cut scenes are CG or in game? as i really like the silent hill 2 cut scenes. Although SH3's in game one main tained the atmosphere, but sometimes you jus need to spoil yah self!

Also marcus can you confirm that the additional audio CD is infact tales told in japanese, or a sound track?

Comment

I'll get mine this monday, can't wait for it A quick question, is it true that the game contains more action than previous titles?

Comment

Any news on the xbox version? It was meant to be the same date wasn't it?

Comment

The Xbox version has been delayed. Maybe I was tired, but I spent about an hour last night wandering around right at the start trying to work out what to do next.. If anyone else has this right now then we need to talk..

Comment

Start Silent Hill 4

Maybe I was tired, but I spent about an hour last night wandering around right at the start trying to work out what to do next.. If anyone else has this right now then we need to talk..
                    Hi Marcus,
                    you are already at the start?
                    You have already picked up the phone?
                    You have already called a number? ( I don?t want to spoil)

cheers chris
                    Entdecke großartige Schnäppchen für viele Konsolen auf retroplace. ✅ Günstige Preise ✅ Top-Konditionen ✅ Freundliche Community

Comment

I figured it out last night, its not the sort of thing I would expect to of got when being tired One thing, did you notice, when looking out of the window

That strange, bunny-like baloon floating along above the hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                        I look forward to some stupidly indepth discussion in a few weeks time, just like we did for SH3!
                        Definately.

From a thematic perspective, this is looking the most intelligent Silent Hill to date, and therefore probably the most intriguing survivial horror currently in existance. It'll be interesting to examine the game from a number of different perspectives from those here.

Let's just hope the gameplay and experience of play can manage to back up the promise which is so evidently already there.

Comment

Been looking forward to this release as a big fan of the series, especially the first and second which offer so much in depth exploration of its literacy themes, I have read some very interesting interpretations of the series and look forward to sharing thoughts on this new chapter in the series.

After the third game I did feel abit disappointed somehow the direction and gameplay mechanics did not feel right and it was not the complete experience for me.

Only trouble is do I go order the Japanese PS2 version or wait for the delayed Xbox version?. I am swaying in favour for the PS2 version as I really want to get playing.

Comment

When is the u.s release for this? *and yes I know about the JP eng option*

Comment

Without knowing what the Xbox version will have over the PS2 its hard to call. Theres no problem at all playing this as its 100% import friendly, so theres no reason not to get the PS2 version if you cant stand the wait.

I wont cast too much opinion on this until Ive completed it, but it would appear to be one of the more varied in the series, to date Ive not had to visit the same location twice, I doubt Im even able to if I wanted to at this point. The downside of that, is that there were several instances of puzzles I chose to leave, thinking I could go back afterwards, which so far Ive been unable to. I dont know how the game will open up as it goes along, but its rather linear which is a good or bad thing dependant on your outlook.

Visually things have been tarted up somewhat, with more detailed adversaries and most notably a almost complete lack of fog. I like Henry, the central character, strangely he is something of a voyeur, and enjoys spying on members of the opposite sex in nearby apartments, which is evidently something me and him have in common. I like the apartment aspect of the game, you are always waking up from the dreamworld and wondering what, if anything has changed. Combat too is improved this time round, you are able to quickly dash forward or step back, and strafe around your enemies, whilst a meter onscreen is apparent, which I beleive suggests a maximum impact hit measurement although Im only now playing up to the part which should explain more on that.

Only one problem for me... not enough bunnies.
                              Last edited by marcus; 20-06-2004, 18:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X