Turbografx/Stepdown converter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbografx/Stepdown converter question

Hello all, this is my first post on here so be nice please. Basically, I've just purchased a Turbografx console and I was wondering whether I need a stepdown conveter or not, I'm a bit puzzled.

The console was bought from an online dealer based in the U.K. It is in immaculate condition and looks brand new, the power supply is one of those ones with 2 prongs as aposed to our 3 pronged ones we use in the U.K.

On the power supply it says "AC ADAPTER FOR USE WITH NEC TURBOGRAFX ( PAL ) INPUT 220VAC 50Hz OUTPUT 10.5VDC 780mA

What does it mean? I thought that PAL was a UK thing only? If so why does this power supply say PAL on it?

This has got me thinking, do I really a stepdown converter? If U.K. electrical appliances use 220/240V and this powersupply says on it 220VAC, isn't the power already matched?

Do I simply just need a special socket to go from 2 prongs to 3 prongs? If so, I can get them anywhere can't I?

I've read the guides on this website and as good as they are, I'm still not a 100% on this, the last thing I want to do is blow up my console.

Thanks for any help on this,

mickyboy

Sounds like you have a european console there. If so, you are correct in thinking you should only need a 2-prong > 3-prong converter, as Europe uses pretty much the same leccy we do, just different plugs.

I'd wait for a more definitive answer though, 'cos I'm not an expert, and there are bods on here who are.

Comment

PAL is a german thing actually... In fact apart from a few european countries (like France) who use SECAM most use some form of PAL (although things like PAL-I, PAL-B, PAL-D, etc are more to do with RF transmission and sound carrier).

Anyway you have a European PSU, 220V is fine as the UK uses 220V (most substations now deliver 220/230V).

You could do the following.

Buy a European / UK adapter. (About 3 quid)

Snip off the Euro plug and wire it up to a UK plug, blue wire neutral, brown wire live. (About 70p)

Or if you want to be really cheap

Then plug a UK plug upside down in a unplugged 4 way socket or multiadapter, so you plug in the earth pin and show the exposed L / N terminals. Push euro plug into the exposed holes (doesn't matter which way, it will be tight but it will fit as this is how I am powering this laptop. ), remove UK plug. Now plug it in and start playing... (cost nothing as long as you have a multiway socket or multiadapter...)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback even if it is a tad belated. Your advice was excellent, I got myself a plug adapter thing, it cost ?3.50 from Comets and works a treat, thank you.

TurboGrafx rules!!!

Comment

Working...
        X