X Box live questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Box live questions.

Hi guys I am going to be investing in XBox live very soon, but I haven't got a clue how much it is going to cost me to set it all up. I have no interest in hooking it up via my pc (I don't know if this reduces the cost). I would be very grateful if someone could answer the following questions for me.

1. Is there much difference in the quality of service and ease of setting up between BT and NTL?

2. Apart from a broadband modem are there any other cables/wires I need to connect my xbox up?

3. How much am I going to have to spend initially to get in on the X Box Live experience. This is a big issue because I am moving house next week after being burgled in my current flat. Because of this I am going to be paying double rent for one month So money is going to be a little tight.

Thanks for looking, and I hope to see you all on line very soon.

Hiya.

1.) So far I've heard bad reports from NTL users and the Xbox Live 'TAX' of ?5 for using the service with XBL. BT do not do this and Openworld are also registered with Xbox Live as a service provider, as they were with the Dreamcast.

2.) If you are setting up a Broadband connection for your PC and Xbox you will need a Broadband Router/Modem Combo. You can pick up a Speedtouch 510 or 530 for around ?100. (BT also offer a home network setup, this may be cheaper still.)
    The wires you will need are CAT5 RJ45 Straight-through cable to connect the Xbox to the Router. If you are connecting through your computer, you'll need a NIC card and a cross-over cable. This is by far the cheaper method but you'll need your PC on to access Xbox Live through the NIC.

3.) If you go the NIC route - Approx. ?20 Equipment and then about ?30 a month.

If you go the Broadband Modem/Router route - Approx ?110 Equipment and the ?30 a month.

BT Openworld offer a BB line only for FREE if you want to get your own Modem/Router combo. I have a Speedtouch Modem spare if you want it to go through the NIC route though. I will only charge you the amount it trades for on eBay which will be less than BT sell them to you for.

Comment

If my PC network has a hub, will I be able to just connect through there without needing to buy anything extra?

And does Xbox Live! work ok with Blue Yonder?

Comment

Cheers for the reply, I think I am going to go the route of adsl with BT, they just need to run a survey on my phone line, if all goes well I should be up and running my the end of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Max M
          If my PC network has a hub, will I be able to just connect through there without needing to buy anything extra?

And does Xbox Live! work ok with Blue Yonder?
          Works fine mate. Ive never had any trouble with it. In fact im surprised Telewest dont shout about that. Though i may just be lucky .

Comment

Working...
          X