X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tetsujin 28 Go (PS2/ JPN)

Official Site

Translated to either 'Iron Man 28 Go' - 'Soldier Iron Man 28 Go'
    Otherwise known as 'Gigantor' in America. Not that you would recognise either name in a pub quiz.

A little back story...
    The game is based on the anime which aired during the 60's (though i'm not sure if it's based directly from the series then. Since there is going to be a new feature length anime being released in August, and i'm not sure if it's based from that instead. Or the game version is a new story)

The story revolved around Shotaro Kanada, who during the 1930's discovered said Iron man 28, which was created by Kanada snr.
    Basically, Shotaro - the boy wonder, controls Iron Man 28 (via remote control) to fight crime against the mysterious 'X Group' and other rogue Iron Man controllers.

You assume the role of Shotaro Kanada, which the game is mainly played through his point of view. So if Iron Man 28 is too far away from you see, you would have to either:
    a) call Iron Man 28 back to your position (by pressing the R2 button)
    b) move Shotaro, by pressing select, which in turn grants you command of Shotaro in third person mode.

Combat & controlling Iron Man 28 is simple enough. The game has the 'Resident Evil' style of controlling where left or right on the analog stick rotates, while up and down moves forwards and backwards respectively. The same direction rules apply to when controlling Shotaro.

Controlling Iron Man 28:
    Circle = punch with left arm
    Square = punch with right arm
    X = pick object up
    Triangle = special attack
    R1 = Initiate flight mode
    R2 = Call Iron Man 28 back to Shotaro's position
    L1 = raises arms to guard against punches

Controlling Shotaro:
    R1 = strafe right
    L1 = trafe left
    Circle or Square = punch
    X = jump

(though if Shotaro is confronted by Group X members you will have to move him out of danger by just scarpering away. Though you can punch them and they will be downed in 1 hit, albeit temporarily - that kid packs some power!)

When controlling Shotaro however, Iron Man 28 switches off and lays dormant which in turn leaves it vulnerable to attack from the enemy. Until that is you press select to resume control of Iron Man 28

Combat is a simple case of combining punch attacks, though the real technique is not just hammering away at the punches, well you can do that. Though continual jabs won't get you far.
    You have to hold down the punches/ shoulder charge buttons to get different results. The changes are indicated by the colour of the dial on the remote control. The longer you charge the punch, the stronger it is.

= Jab

= Hook

= Chop

= Powerful Straight (using right arm)

= Uppercut (using left arm)

Alternatively, look at this page and click on the mini videos for a look at the punch strengths.
    Various 'special' attacks are listed here

And yes, you can accumilate both punches and the special attack together to unleash a combo which you desire.

Translation of shop items:
    There are 2 sections. The first section is to upgrade your health.
    The second section is your moves:

- Jab
    - Hook
    - Chop
    - Uppercut
    - Straight
    - Throw
    - Lunge
    - Flying Kick
    - Rocket Charge
    - Quick Descent

Storyline wise, i'm at a loss, since it's completely Japanese. Though it seems you are just fighting X Group and their variants of Iron Man for the time being. The story is delivered via voice overs and still frame drawings.

Missions are mainly 'destroy other rogue Iron Men/ Group X members''
    not much variety at the moment.
    Game menus are largely in JPN.

Overall, i'm finding the game to be enjoyable. Just throwing buidings around, picking up other Iron Men, flying about and dropping them at great height.

A unique game. Though 'Gigantic Drive' is similar from what i've read.
    Last edited by jimtendo; 25-07-2004, 15:13.

Tetsujin 28GO

First off, it's great. The game has you play as a little kid that controls a monstrous mecha. The sense of scale is impressive and the controls are simple and intuitive. The only "problem" is getting your head around the camera, because you are the camera and the little kid can't fly (though Tetsujin 28GO can pick him up).

Essentially, it's Gigantic Drive for everyone with really really cool combat. Cool in the sense that you can initiate a flying kick that has your mecha charge up its boosters, fire off into the air, cut them out and then dive slam evil.

Comment

That was one of the first games I noticed when I got back into this - anyone interested in the anime should check play-asia DVD section, there's a lot of great-looking box sets availible (some pricey).

Comment

Can anyone give me any hints for controlling Tetsujin when in flight mode?

I'm finding it very tricky to aim him in the right direction at the moment, mostly because of the fixed position of the camera.

Comment

Working...
        X