Super MarioBall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super MarioBall

I got this through this morning for the GBA and currently finding it hugely enjoyable.

For those who don't know, it is basically a Mario Pinball game featuring mini levels with distinctive Mario themes. All the levels I have seen so far (about 4) are 2 flipper jobbies, although there may be other variations.

The game plays very much in the Devil Crash mould where you have to hit certain things with the ball (a squashed Mario) to release different levels/bonuses. Well known Mario baddies are roaming around these tables of course.

Graphically everything is super smooth and fast and it seems to be in a pretty high resolution got the GBA. Think of the style of Yoshi's Island transferred to the GBA at higher res.

Presentation is also excellent and the Japanese menus as few and easy to work out. Haven't fully sussed out the aim of the game yet - as it seems to be about coin collecting (what else!?) and, after I had defeated one boss (the big Plant from Mario Sunshine), I got a golden key rather than racking up points.

Pretty sure that there are tons of hidden extras in this game, but need more time to get them.

Looking like another excellent GBA SP game.

Seemed to get a rather average review in Famitsu which initially put me off from ordering the Jap version. Got it pre-ordered at DVDBO anyhow.

Didn't a UK devco come to make this one?

Comment

Fuse Games developed it. Are they British?

If there is a criticism of the game it is that the screens are sometimes pretty empty with few enemies. It certainly is not as action packed as Devil Crash.

Comment

Hmmm, empty screens dont sound so good

I'm a massive fan of DC and Kirby's on the GB really, so I'm still waiting for something to ecplise those, although the Pokemon ones have been pretty cool.

Comment

Must admit to hearing very mixed reviews on this...but i've given in and just ordered it along side Mario vs Donkey Kong (which i should have ordered a couple of months ago)

The screen shots look lovely...can't wait for some top pinball action.

Comment

Played this yesterday and im shocked to hear myself say this but its decidedly average.

It's not a patch on sonic pinball party. Although there are some nice touches in mario ball the tables are very sparse of things to actually hit with the ball.

Also for some reason the ball feels really heavy and not quite right in my opinion, i wasn't expecting it to be floating around all over the place but its just dosen't feel right.

Maybe some of you will like it but after playing sonic pinball party i wont be getting this one. And thats coming from me, the obsessive mario fan.

Comment

What game would people say is better outta this Mario Pinball, Pinball of the Dead and Sonic Pinball Party? I'd really like a pinball game for my SP.

Comment

I think Pokemon pinball should also be included in the list.

Comment

Pokemon Pinball is great. Only 2 tables, but loads to do on each, great ball movement and weighting and with the added bonus of pokemon collecting as you go along. Definitely worth buying for ?20 or less (or dirt cheap on ebay - beware pirates though)

Comment

As a major pinball fan I thought Pokemon Pinball was one of the worst pinball games I have played in ages. I was a big fan of the GBC version but was very let down by the GBA version. Small short and boring tables meant that in a couple of hours of play I had seen everything and I had no urge to beat my high scores where as after almost 10 years I still play Kirby?s Pinball Land almost daily.

Pinball of The Dead is very fun but it's open to some major cheating using the save system. Sadly the game lets you save when a ball is lost and when you re-access the file the ball is in the middle of the table.

The game is tough in places and if you are not tempted to cheat then it?s worth a purchase.

The game was released in the UK a few months ago at a bargain ?19.99 and for that it should be in everybody?s collection. Check out Gamestation who sell it new for ?9.99.

I have not played Sonic Pinball but from the reviews I saw I was better sticking with Pinball of the Dead.

As for Super Mario Ball I had very high hopes for that one indeed but am waiting for the US version.

However I do not think anything will ever beat the sheer brilliance of Kirby?s Pinball Land or the fantastic GP32 port of Pinball Dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole
                      However I do not think anything will ever beat the sheer brilliance of Kirby?s Pinball Land
                      Damn right!

Comment

It's amazing how even now Kirby's Pinball Land is not bettered apart from Pinball Dreams nothing has even come close.

I wonder why HAL have not done a sequal. It sold well enough as far as i know.

Anyway back to Super Mario Ball...

Comment

I've had a good play at Super Marioball and I can honestly say that although graphically amazing, it simply isn't as instantly addictive as Pokemon Pinball: Ruby/Saphire.

In fact I reckon I too got quite bored of the game as well!

But, that isn't to say that it's a bad game - It's just flawed...

Comment

If it's not as good as Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Saphire then it must be a shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono
                              Presentation is also excellent and the Japanese menus as few and easy to work out. Haven't fully sussed out the aim of the game yet - as it seems to be about coin collecting (what else!?) and, after I had defeated one boss (the big Plant from Mario Sunshine), I got a golden key rather than racking up points.
                              Not sure if you've worked it out yet, but if you haven't or others need it, this is my take on the events:

The idea is to save Peach (again). In the cut scene at the start all the guys go to the fair and when it's her turn on the cannon, the cannons position is altered and she's fired into the castle.

Once you beat up that Piranha Plant from Sunshine you get a star key, you're supposed to take it to the castle level. Hit the warp cannon and then select the castle, bump into the relevant statue and then continue. Once you beat all the bosses you can then progress from this screen onto the final boss.

Once you use the key it opens up something on the level you collected it from, for example once you've used the Piranha Star Key, go back to the windmill and then complete the red coin challenge (collect all the coins in a set time).

The flow of the game is fairly simple. The idea is to beat every enemy on each screen. Doing so gives you a star, you use these stars to open gates which let you see more of the level. You can only get one star per screen, but if you defeat the enemies on multiple occasions it gives you an item to use on the table.
                              Derfeat the bosses to reach the last one. Collecting the coins gives higher scores.

I think these are the right options for the pause screens:
                              Pause screen options:
                              continue
                              save and quit

When you die:
                              continue
                              save and quit
                              quit

If you quit, you will get a confirmation screen that asks you if you really want to quit and lose your progress. yes
                              no (default)

After saving a game and starting again, you have the option of:
                              continue
                              start a new adventure

After beating a level or two, you have the option of:
                              adventure
                              time attack (you can select areas you have cleared)

Selecting adventure, will then give you:
                              continue
                              start a new adventure (see above if you save before clearing an area)

There are other clever things the items do. For example the shrink item lets Mario enter small tunnels...

Not had the game for long, it's what I've worked out. Could all be wrong like

Comment

Working...
                              X