Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nascar 2005: Chase the Cup

Now this is more like it!

I'm quite into the whole Indycar and Nascar thing. Not particularly watching - more playing having played and loved the old Papyrus releases on the PC to death.

Smooth detailed races around mundane tracks (what you'd expect) but it's still graphically pretty rich. Would love to see this on a high end PC at high resolution but I have got the XBox version which actually looks very decent.

Typical EA presentation with licences from people we are unlikely to have heard much of this game actually starts off quite strangely with a night race one on one against another car. I thought I'd actually got the wrong game initially but this bit is pretty much a tutorial to get you use to the handling of the game. I actually though this bit sucked because I got stuck in a corner and the sodding car doesn't have a reverse gear!! Quickly quit that bit and moved onto a quick race. This is where it starts to come into its own. 20+ chunky cars all with pretty much the same spec running aling what seems like a tight track. Nudging, bumping and tailgating my way through the field was really great fun. Tried the obligatory attempt to cause a huge crash but didn't really succeed. May have to drive the wrong way round the track to do that

This one I can see myself starting with career mode on. If onely they would release the Logiech FF Nascar Wheel over here soon I'd be a very happy person.

How does this compare to Nascar 2004?

I loved the original Papyrus Nascar for the PC and never bothered getting another version until recently when I got Nascar 2004 bundled with my graphics card. I don't know whether it was just a bad port to the PC but I thought the game was of a shockingly poor standard given its an EA game - I hated the presentation and graphics and everything - it was so poor I couldn't understand why it came with my gfx card as it could probably have run with a geforce 2. I know its the gameplay that should count but in this case I just couldn't get on with the game. hopefully 2005 is better

Comment

Have to admit I never played Nascar 2004. The problem with EA ports to PC is that they are normally just that. Ports. If they lead with the PC as the main platform they would:

(a) likely have a beautifully stonking game capable of 16+ online as opposed to 4 for the XBox, and

(b) have a piss poor console version since they wouldn't be able to handle the PC optimised game.

Hence they've gone with consoles first and will likely do a quick and dirty PC port

Comment

Is that right that all nascar races are in the good old indy 500 style oval? I think I might really enjoy this game but don't know enough about the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
          Is that right that all nascar races are in the good old indy 500 style oval?
          Yep. I find Nascar to be far more enjoyable than Indycar because of the ability to bump and fishtail rivals

Comment

Such a shame it's not getting a PAL release. I loved Indy Car Racing Series 2005.

Comment

Mr Ono, what Logitech FF Nascar wheel are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Balou
                Mr Ono, what Logitech FF Nascar wheel are you talking about?
                THIS ONE

from THIS thread.

Although IGN don't mention that it's FF, it surely has to be from Logitech??

Due out in November in US. Not sure about UK though.
                Last edited by Mr Ono; 09-09-2004, 06:42.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
                  Is that right that all nascar races are in the good old indy 500 style oval? I think I might really enjoy this game but don't know enough about the sport.
                  I don't think they are all on ovals, I think there's a few circuit races. I seem to remember watching a race at Leguna Seca on TV. I will go check...

*EDIT*

yup, there's some circuit races, but I'm not sure whether they're in the game (still yet to fire it up as I've been so busy with Burnout 3 )

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 09-09-2004, 07:35.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Mr Ono.
                    IGN mentions in the article that the wheel is lighter than other wheels - maybe that?s because they dropped the Force Feedback.
                    But what I?m more interested in, is the diameter of the wheel.
                    To be suitable for Nascar I assume it is quite large and can be turned more than 180 degrees (for smoother steering)?!?

Comment

Mr. Ono
                      It may be getting a wee bit old, but I recommend NASCAR Heat (PC) as the best NASCAR game there is.
                      It was never released in Europe, but you can still pick it up cheap from the USA.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Ian. Unfortunately my time with games at the moment amounts to about 1 hour per day max!!

Comment

Working...
                        X