Colin McRae 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colin McRae 2005

Played this for about an hour via the demo disc with latest Official Xbox Mag. Much better than CM04, graphically, handling, everything really, more cars, tracks and the replays are I think the best I have seen on any racing game.
    Usual options of career mode, championship mode, time trials etc.
    Everything seems so realistic, the handling, wheel spin seem so realistic, no longer does your car turn on a pivot point and it handles exactly as you would imagine a normal rally car would, it is quite unforgiving in places and the demo doesn't allow you to adjust the music/pacenotes volume so you can be going blind into some bends.
    Only tried out the Peugeot 206 so far, car detail is great, even down to the brake calipers.
    If your into rally games this is a must, 75 stages and 35 cars just begging to be thrashed.
    Last edited by marcus; 17-09-2004, 16:12.

Great to hear. After playing the PC demo i was worried that they had ruined it. Is OXM out in the shops yet or do you subcribe?

Comment

yes it's out in the shops, playable demo of Juiced, Second Sight and Blinx 2 also. First time I've bought the mag, it's not that bad, but six quid does tend to put you off.

Anyway back to the game, yeah I use the Codies forums now and again and read most of the topics about "PC Demo don't work etc" and got worried, but Xbox version is truely lovely. Difficulty level is higher than other CM games (prehaps like Richard Burns Rally?) but it's not too hard thats it's unplayable. Should be great on Live. Another new addition is the "dizyness"; after a heavy crash the screen goes blurry for a couple of seconds before returning to normal, only thing missing is stars going around Colin's head - ala Tom & Jerry.

I love RSC2, this game makes that look arcadey, it is a much more serious racer, it sets out to be this and pulls it off perfectly in my opinion, roll on Sept 24th.

Comment

I played the pc demo too and thought they'd ruined it too but my faith was restored with the xbox demo. For some reason the xbox version looks and runs better than the my bro's p4 3GHz with a radeon 9800pro. Handling is good with the lancia and the toyota celica (although using both just made me wish I was playing sega rally on my xbox!). I found it spot on difficultly wise - you couldn't tear round at full speed and had to be careful, as I suppose real rally drivers are. So far it's much better than number 4 imo

Comment

I LOVED Colin McRae 04 so all this 'much better than number 4' talk has got me very excited for 05. Are there any details on the online mode anywhere?

Comment

you tried the official CM05 pages on www.codemasters.com ? what exactly would you like to know ?

Comment

Played the demo and yes it was good, but i feel all 'rallied' out if you know what I mean. It just doesn't make me want to go out and spend another 30quid on what is pretty much an upgrade of last years title.

Comment

so apart from aesthetic and structural differences, are there any substantial improvements over CM04? Is it harder?

I really don't want to fork out another ?30 on another minor upgrade.

Comment

I think it's more difficult, it's more realistic (handling wise, traction wise) and obviously Live play is now included in the Xbox version.

One thing that worries me and I must check it out tonight is the ability to really cut corners etc, sure you get slowed down but it still seems beneficial in a lot of places. Best times for say the Germany stage vary by about 30 seconds. Will post tomorrow with my discoveries.

Comment

The PC demo was another typical rushed demo from Codemasters. I'm not quite sure why they bother to release it in a state where it looks worse than CMR4. I mean what's the friggin point of turning off consumers. It brought back painful memories of CMR3 the way it looked.

Here's hoping it was way off from the final code.
                    Last edited by npg; 20-09-2004, 17:37.

Comment

Be interesting to see how it fairs against Richard Burnsie's Rally

Comment

CMR05 is terrible, Codies are the new EA It's the same game as before, nothing has changed! Great, trees move when you smack them. Crowds are animated (in 2D), invisble walls plague the edges of the track and, check this -- best feature ever! -- the screen goes "fuzzy" when you run into stuff.

Woo, and indeed, hoo

Comment

invisible walls?

Comment

Originally posted by dc-arena
                            invisible walls?
                            Yea, at the edge of the track... bounding an area making the tracks limited in the area you can drive. I know that one is not supposed to be there but when it's literally along the side of the track and one hits it due to a jump or whatever, it destroys the little illusion the game has.

I've hit a couple of bugs too -- I drove outside a track the once and I've also driving the correct way only for the game to reset my position!

Tracks seem to be worse this time too. The series has never had many standout tracks but even those that were "whoa..." are seriously lacking -- nothing new here at all!

Comment

Do you mean walls as in you hit them? Or they reset you back on the track?

Is this final retail code you're playing on?

Comment

Working...
                              X