XBox Live Starter Kit Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox Live Starter Kit Query

I've decided to get Xbox Live but don't live in a country where it's officially "available" despite have an ADSL internet connection.

My question is; If I get a friend living in the UK to send me a Live starter kit will I actually be able to sign up or will it go "go away, you're not from the UK"?

If this isn't possible then could I pick up a US kit, set my machine to a US bios and disable my modchip?

Thanks in advance.

Well the Xbox live kit is multi region so thats no problem. It's more a question of wether your router and your provider offer compatability. Give 'em a call and find out.
    Which country are you living in?

Comment

Originally posted by Hencole
      Well the Xbox live kit is multi region so thats no problem. It's more a question of wether your router and your provider offer compatability. Give 'em a call and find out.
      Which country are you living in?
      Well, my router is a P2 400 running Gentoo Linux connected to a ethernet ADSL modem... I had planned on running the XBox via ICS from my Windows 2000 machine which I have got working before with Live.

I guess my main query is regarding the sign up process... When submitting my credit card for billing purposes is there an editable box for the billing address or is it a drop down menu containing only the countries in which Live is officially available.

Oh, I live in Ireland BTW... not as far away as you might think but barely any DSL availability. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Comment

Hey Valken.

I used to live in Dublin mate, but I am now living in Australia for a bit... I take it from your post that you own a PAL machine then?

Reason I ask this is because even though the US kits and early UK beta kits were regionless the official retail UK kit is now PAL only so if you tried to install it on an NTSC machine it wouldnt work.

You can easily import a kit from the UK or the US, choice is yours. Once you install it select the UK as your region if Ireland is not registered as an option (there is a possibility it might on the UK retail kit, can anyone confirm this?)

Then when you come to enter your credit card billing address for authentication purposes you can enter your entire irish address as normal but because you select the UK as your region you must enter a valid UK postcode... reason being the MS server will authenticate the postcode to make sure its valid before continuing with the setup.

I install my US Kit here in Sydney, with my region set as the UK and it works fine.

Anyway I thought the XBL kit was available in Ireland already? Plus I take it if you do have broadband your in Dublin somewhere as I have heard from mates back there that the rollout of ADSL is still piss poor.

Comment

Hi Nonny, thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

Yes, my machine's modded PAL but I've restored the original HD and fitted a switch to it.

The kits aren't available in Ireland since, as you said ADSL rollout it so bad in Ireland. I can get a UK kit no probs. Are US kits STILL regionless? Would I need to enter us US zip code?

re: the postcode thing... does this mean I should simply use a random (but valid) uk postcode but otherwise enter my address details as normal?

And yes, I'm in Dublin and lucky to have DSL at all. Apparently if I was 100 meters down the road I would have been **** out of luck! Still, despite Eircom being idiots with the rollout I've got no complaints about the service... reasonable error free and download/upload speeds are about 90% of what's advertised.

Again, thanks for the info.

Comment

Hi mate.

Yeh I heard about Eircom finally slashing their ADSL rates by 50% which means they are still way too expensive but its a step in the right direction.

The US kit is still regionless as far as I know but there is a newer volume 2 kit just released which has different demos on it (and a full version of Tetris Worlds online)... and I have no info as to whether that is regionless.

Your in the same boat as me though, I have a modded aussie PAL machine with a switch and I threw the original HD back in for good measure.

On the US kit you have a choice of regions: US/Canada, France, Germany, UK and Other. These are basically all the regions that were available at the time of beta testing but if you pick Other it just prompts a message saying XBL isnt available in all areas yet which is useless.

Pick the UK and then you'll be taken to another screen for you billing address. Like I said you can fill in all of the fields with your irish address information but its the postcode thats authenticated to find a valid UK postcode and enter that (I used my parents one which is CF72 8HU as Im originally from wales so use that if you want).

That should work just fine, all it means is when you logon to XBL, or go to download extra content you'll be automatically pointed towards the UK servers.

Hope that helps but anymore questions just post them here...

Oh if you want to import the US kit I reccomend www.tronixweb.com , select Fedex shipping and you'll get the kit within 48hrs and its fully trackable online...

Comment

You're right, broadband only recently went down in cost here... I guess it's about ?10 sterling more expensive than your average ADSL 512/128 subscription in the UK but I need it for work.

I was actually part of the DSL trials for a while so I did get it for free. Can't compain with that!

In any case... I've decided to get a UK kit in a couple of weeks. I've got a large project deadline in work so I'll be programming like an assmonkey too much to actually enjoy Live.

Thanks again for the help, hopefully I'll get to play you online sometime!

Comment

Valken

Good luck with the setup, I am sure it will work ok using Nonny's advice above.

Now is a great time to sign up to LIVE. Released in 2 weeks is Moto GP2 and RTCW, which looks like a real hoot online if you like your FPS.

Enjoy...

TR

Comment

Working...
                X