Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V For Vendetta & Watchmen Movie Thread (mostly Watchmen now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V For Vendetta & Watchmen Movie Thread (mostly Watchmen now)

After years of rumour, bad scripts that really messed up the concepts and having to wait for the fallout of 9/11 to pass, this is finally going to happen. At first I was sceptical that the themes of identity and anarchy would not equal box office success, so there would be little point in getting my hopes up for this. Adding the involvement of the Wachowski brothers made me envisage a slicker, action based film that would be miles away from it's gritty almost Film Noir stylings. Although they polished up/ripped off another comic book so well for The Matrix (see Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles") it seemed that it could go either way.

So now the new version is here and if rumours are to be believed, it has a vastly altered plot from the original graphic novel, and will probably not feature any of the brilliance that made the book into such a classic. As a huge fan of the original I'm not holding out much hope. At least the costume should look nice. You can read about it here:
    The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

And see a teaser poster here:

Natalie Portman is playing the Evey role, although there is no word on V yet. I would like a kind of Darth Vader deal for this role, with Ian Mckellen providing V's voice and a nobody/stunt man doing the action stuff. Any one else have any idea on who could play V ? I'm at a loss to think of a modern actor that could have the gravitas needed for the role.

And I bet we get to see V's real face in the film too.
    Last edited by Meng De; 19-03-2005, 09:04.

Any type of film for V for vendetta will be appauling to be honest. Just look at how film makers have maimed LOG and From Hell. They would just try and impose V as some sort of 2 dimensional character against an oh so bad society.
    I hope that they stop releasing such terrible films of good comics as they always try and change story characters etc to meet a mass market whereas the comic books they originate from have to show character and originality if they want to gain an audience amongst so many titles. Just look at what they have done to Hellblazer, i was holding little hope in Nicholas Cage getting the part which may have done justice to john constantine's character but no KEANU REEVES for crying out loud. V for vendetta wont be done justice as they will probably cast orlando bloom or some other ladyboy to prance around looking camp in contrived action scenes with no blood (to make sure it gets a 12 rating )

Comment

Ok so now I'm happy. Today the official site for the film went on line.

From the Lilly & Lana Wachowski and Joel Silver, the masterminds behind The Matrix trilogy, comes another intriguing, action-packed fantasy-

After reading the transcript of the press conference, I'm happy to cast aside the fanboy negativity of my initial post and look forward to this film a lot. They seem to be doing so much right with this.

First of all V. The actor, James Purefoy says that the mask will stay on! I think that this is the best breakthrough for the film yet. He also talks about how he has spent a lot of time in the mask, to prepare for the role and how he has studied both Noh and Kabuki theatre to get ideas for the part.

The rest of the production seems to be sticking to the book, and the earlier ww2/nazi ruled Britain rumours seemed to be all but laid to rest (although it may be a way around the books problem with nuclear war) Natalie Portman says that she will even shave her head and loose weight for the

imprisonment and torture part

. Of course this could all go horribly wrong, particularly if the studio bosses step in (although the director stating that he's not aiming for any particular age limit may hint at either a free reign or naivety on his part).

Finally I'd argue that V's role as a menacing figure of "the other", rising up against right-wing rule, demands a large amount of camp and theatre.

Comment

It features Natalie Portman.

I'm sold.

Comment

Not convinced yet, i'm really worried about this as well as Watchmen...

Well, I say I'm worried - I wont be losing any sleep or anything...

Comment

I think that V For Vendetta and Watchmen may both surprise us all yet. Most fans of both books are convinced that they are going to be rubbish, so there's little else that can go wrong with them really.

It will be interesting to see just who they have in mind for the cast of watchmen, but so far the logo is all we have got to go on. The official site has now got some wallpapers available (nothing too exciting though)
            In an alternate 1985 United States, superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the Doomsday Clock -- which charts the USA's ten

It will be ironic if they merchandise the film at all! (although some V merchandise would be quite welcome)

Comment

It would seem that things may be looking up for The Watchmen too. There is a new interview with the director, Paul Greengrass, and he does seem to have a clue about the source text.

It's nice to see that he's attempting to give the story a go from an intelligent angle, and not shy away from the political side. With this and the recent progression on V, both films stand a chance now

I've not seen The Bourne Supremacy though, was it any good?

Comment

I?ve never read Watchman but my friend tells me its great? might buy it? or ask to borrow.

Still though, I am not looking forward to it. If there is a comic, novel, or story you love Hollywood will piss all over it.

Comment

Actually, I'd just love an Ozymandias action-figure, like the one in the comic. As for Greengrass, I thought he did an excellent job with both Bloody Sunday and Bourne Supremacy, so that side should be just fine. The only question is the script, really.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                    Actually, I'd just love an Ozymandias action-figure, like the one in the comic.
                    It's all about teh Rorschach(-sp?), tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Meng De
                      It will be interesting to see just who they have in mind for the cast of watchmen
                      There's speculation/hope of Daniel Craig playing Rorschach, who I think would be perfect, though Crispin Glover is apparently more closely linked with the role. I just hope they don't build the cast with big stars to pull in the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                        Actually, I'd just love an Ozymandias action-figure, like the one in the comic. As for Greengrass, I thought he did an excellent job with both Bloody Sunday and Bourne Supremacy, so that side should be just fine. The only question is the script, really.
                        The last I heard about the script was that they were using Solid Sn.. I mean David Hayter's version. It was rumored that the

alien invasion

part had been re-written, but the rest was pretty intact.

Jude Law was intially interested in playing Raw-Shark, (claiming to be such a fanboy, that he'd actually got a tatttoo of him ) but I think he would be better of sticking to the Ozymandias role (although in my veiw he's not old enough) Wasn't Simon Pegg (of Spaced fame) up for the role of Rorschach? Or was that just rumour.

I re-read Watchmen the other day. In a filmic sence they may have to work a little harder with Rorschach. At the start he's just Travis Bickle in a mask, which may work in a comic, but on the screen, it'll look very 2nd hand.

(Edit: Thought I'd make it a dual thread for now to cover both)
                        Last edited by Meng De; 19-03-2005, 09:05.

Comment

Read Watchmen when it 1st came out, I still feel that it is un-translatable (?) to the film media. In a 2/3 hr film they would have to edit/cut so much characterization, working as it does on so many levels, moving forward and backwards in continuity and narrative, including the text pages that added more insight to the stories than 1st thought. Bearing in mind that this was written originally (as the story goes) to tie up loose ends concerning the old Charlton characters, (Dr. Manhattan/Capt. Atom & The Owl/Blue Beetle etc brings out the comics fanboy in me) until DC decided to milk them for what they could.
                          I always thought the ending to be extremely anti-climatic a fault in a lot of Moores writing, where he build up reader expectations but fails to deliver the 'knockout blow', ELOG 2nd series especially.
                          So far as V and Watchmen possible actors, I'd have to go with unknown faces. Please not Jude/Keanu or such like.
                          TBH I expect a total bastardisation of the stories and characters (Davey Crockett for the Yank audience/Constantine a Yank???) in both V and Watchmen translations to the big screen and unless proved wrong (it gets good reviews in Comics International) will give em a wide bearth, same ala ELOG1.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerade
                            So far as V and Watchmen possible actors, I'd have to go with unknown faces. Please not Jude/Keanu or such like.
                            I concur. Certainly the only way Rorschach could work would be an unknown playing him.

Comment

Willem Dafoe was linked to Rorschach before: I utterly agree that it should be an unknown playing him - a skanky, freckly, ginger-ninja no-one.

I vote Kevin Kline for Dan Dreiberg.

I vote Gary Busey for the Comedian - in the flashbacks it could be Jake Busey*.

*Feel free to kick my head in for this suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X