New Series of Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Series of Doctor Who

Couldn't find a existing topic, anyone else seen the first episode ? thought it was OK, not a big Doctor Who fan but thought I'd give it a try. Billie is a bit of a strange choice but hey suppose they needed a young blonde somewhere ....

Cannot understand why a BBC made program (think it's still made by Beeb yeah) it's not shown here until Sat 26/3 but was on in the States last week, honestly.

The US prolly put up most of the money to make it..not sure.

I aint seen it yet, but I thought they would have launched the new series with Darleks or the Cybermen...strange choice as an opener.

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss

Cannot understand why a BBC made program (think it's still made by Beeb yeah) it's not shown here until Sat 26/3 but was on in the States last week, honestly.
      As far as I know this has not aired anywhere yet. There was an internet leak of the first episode, presumably from a US/CA TV network. It's not on tvtome.com as having aired and the net leak is marked the source of a DVD screener.

Like you, I'm not really a Dr who fan but was able to view a copy. I thought it was a good start, and will watch when it airs on TV here, but it was nothing brilliant. The Doctor was good I thought, but not having seen other Dr Who's (other than the millenium tv movie, I can't really compair.)

Comment

I see, didn't check tvtome tbh, will have to see if Ep 2 is "available" Friday

Comment

Saw the first episode a few days ago. Terrible. Awful. Terrible.

Oh, did I say that already?

Comment

Which Doctor Who's do you like Concept?

Comment

I am entering into it as a neutral. I never liked the original series, and while I recognise this new version is delibrately meant to be cheesy, they've messed up.

The direction is awful. For a 45 minute program they introduce the doctor far too early... there is no suspence, mystery or build up. Everything is routinely explained and poorly cut.

The music never shuts up either, and contextually, fails to fit a few key scenes on a number of occasions. That and the fact Christopher Eccleston hams it up too much.

There's a part where he's explaining something to Billie Piper's character out on the street, and it's truly cringe worthy - poor acting. I do realise there has to be a sense of ironic cheesiness with this but it just comes across as plain, unlikeable bad. Rose, for example, is clearly meant to be a Buffy style sidekick wise cracking character but it doesn't work because, you know, Billie Piper can't play the role naturally to save her life.

You can tell a fair wedge of money has been spent on the programme but the acting, directing, and editing all make it stink like there's no tomorrow I'm afraid.

Comment

To put it simply...

Imagine Chris Morris fitting this in around directing Nathan Barely, and you'll see what I mean. The directing is of a similar incoherent standard, where scenes are rushed when they aren't needed to be, and scenes that need to stay in longer are whisked by far too abruptly. The pacing is just... all wrong.

Comment

But Nathan Barley is pure genius...? At the very least it's as funny as ****.

Comment

Yes. It's hilarious.

Comment

When the seagulls follow the tardis they think jelly babies will be thrown into the space time continuum.

Comment

I don't care what anyone says, there are some things you instinctively know are going to be dodgy, bad, or plain crap, and this new Dr Who gives me the feeling that it will be a pile of wasted hopes.

The fact that everyone is calling it garbage, has me less interested than ever in this.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
                          When the seagulls follow the tardis they think jelly babies will be thrown into the space time continuum.
                          Excellent!!! Anything with Jelly Babies has to be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                            I don't care what anyone says, there are some things you instinctively know are going to be dodgy, bad, or plain crap, and this new Dr Who gives me the feeling that it will be a pile of wasted hopes.

The fact that everyone is calling it garbage, has me less interested than ever in this.

2 people calling it garbage is hardly everyone. Nearly all the press reviews are positive and fairly so IMO. AS someone who attended the press launch last week and witnessed a room full of hacks and B list celebs cheering the screen. I found it quite enjoyable. Oh and expect the first episode to be the weakest. I saw a showreel of 10 mins of future episodes and it looked awesome. You do realise Dr Who is a family show and aiming for the 8-12 year old as its main audience with a fair bit in there for the adults to enjoy.

1st post on here for ages and I'm defending Doctor Who. Who have thought it.

Comment

I don't buy the 'it's for kids' reasoning, and therefore justifying its ****eness.

The first episode was just plain poor. Direction, editing and acting.

Comment

Working...
                              X