KOF Snazzies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOF Snazzies

No one ever discusses games here. All ****ty release dates and sales figures and moany pal basts and blah blah who cares? So I want to talk about a game for a change. KOF series in particular. Whatever version you like. Been playing a lot of 2000 and 2001. Deeply anticipating 2002.

So fave characters? Me: Sie Kensou. And why?
    I know a lot of people hate him, and he's been raped hard for 2001, but I like a lot of his moves. Plus getting nice combos going is great since he's kinda hard to combo with. He has some great priority weak standard moves. And he is both great up close and at range.

How about sharing tricks and tips for your fav characters? Or showing off some?

I ain't too hot at KOF, but it felt nice to get this 11 hit combo going with Sie in 2001. How high can you go?

Did you capture that using MAME? I still haven't got MAME, but would like to just to take sprite rips.

Anyway, KoF. It's one of my most beloved games series. Tbh, I'm not all that good at the games
    Somehow, no matter how hard I practice, I just can't replicate what I can do with Capcom fighting games in SNK's system. Nevermind - it doesn't stop me enjoying them immensely ^_^

Well, as I said before, I got 2002 recently, which is an excellent game. Its huge drawback is that, even though it's a Dream Match, it lacks characters from the early series you would have expected to make a comeback. If the public really voted for inclusions, where is Geese? Or Duck King? Zero? Why not put some Garou characters in there? Anyway, I digress. Aside from this, it's every bit as good as you would expect.

Because I don't feel skilled enough, I often change character rosters. One constant is Iori (hence the avatar over there ::nods to his left:: ) who I believe is one of the best gaming characters ever made. He was designed when SNK seemed to be going through a very progressive, sexual and gender-bending phase. King is patently gay, and this seemed to be ramped-up when she came over from AoF; Iori has a very androgenous quality and Vice is just dirty. Indeed, there's something for everyone in a KoF game =]

So: Iori. Well, I like his ability to cover different angles rapidly, due to his varied style. His Yami Barai (the fire trail along the ground) is a good opener/softener, and his Oniyaki (Dragon Punch, basically) has good priority. Along with these, he has 2 dashing range moves that cover a lot of ground and can really damage an opponent. These are the Aoi Hana (where he runs forward and uppercuts, and can be repeated 3 times. On the last one he does a double fisted jumping punch) and the Kototsuki In, where he charges the opponent into the ground and ignites them. A really original design, with a smart variety of moves.

This game is the first time I've used Angel (I've played 94, 95, 98, 99 and 02), and she seems good. Still getting the hang of her. Again, many years after the series began, SNK were still producing great characters. My favourite of the newer bunch, though, is Vanessa. What a brilliant character. Her speedy punches and excellent cancelling opportunities make even me look good, and she has a cool, cheeky grin ;]

With her (iirc), I like doing
    qcf+k//medium k//f,qcf+p. It's a good combo, if I've written it down correctly (I'd have to play the game to check), and cancelling it with A+B opens up a lot of opportunities.

Bet I'm boring you all now, but I'll chime in a bit later-on ^^

Comment

When it comes to combos, the timing in KOF is way too fussy for me to dedicate a huge amount of time. I mean, VF4E I always feel that it's my fault if I mess up but with KOF the timing seems really weird. KOF2002 was a let down character wise. Not much a dream match, it's just a cut down KOF2001 roster but with the orochi team and the Rugal trio.

The design is what I really love about the series. The music and BGs has PLUMETTED since KOF2000, Playmore really are not doing the series justice in this respect. KOF94 has an awesome AST, extremely dynamic and suits the action. But most importantly the music is very memorable, that's the key word. Nothing in KOF2001/2 stands out whilst I remember all the different forms of Esaka and Sadistic Eyes is a tune! The music and BGs make Kyo vs Iori feel epic whilst in Playmore's KOF it just feels flat.

"He was designed when SNK seemed to be going through a very progressive, sexual and gender-bending phase"

Haha, yeah I love that. Don't forget Benimaru!

My team: Vanessa, Kyo and Clark.

Comment

Download this (rename to mp3, my webspace is being lame): http://home.clara.net/saw.walker/Esaka.txt

Class track.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
          Don't forget Benimaru!
          How could I forget?!
          One of the problems Capcom has (and I don't criticise them often, so bear with me ) is that their characters are drawn around the 'super hero' template, with outlandish costumes and unbelievable physiques.

SNK charas have a greater range of physical attributes, personalities and clothing styles, which is actually a really big deal - when it's just a couple of humans knocking **** out of each other, you want a bit of variety.

One of the things people talk about so often in regards KoF games is style. It's probably why they are so enduringly popular: if the characters are varied and well designed, it opens up a great deal more possiblities in terms of moves.

I'll have a pop at that MP3 when I get home.

Comment

Well yes. That's something I hate about KOF2001. I was so shocked when I first saw the awful character artwork. The music isn't too bad. I hum along a bit, but it's not as cool as say 96 or 98 which has my fav music. Or the 97 intro, the bit with Iori's face flashing up.

The combos ARE very picky, but I like it when I get it right AND in a fight. It just looks so flashy, esp when you combo into a SDM and totally destroy your opponent. I'm just training up at the minute see. My cousin never liked 2d fighters before, I always tried to get him into them. But when he saw KOF he kinda went crazy. I guess 'cos it was different. Now he'd probably say he's the biggest fan in the world, even though he's only liked it a while. I think he's been practicing since I last saw him, so I decided I'd take it up a notch. I've never really had a challenge before with 2d fighters. Not since SFII Arcade. So, if he's good I'll have fun, if he's still mish mashing the buttons and waggling that stick I'll humiliate him. It's all good.

As for Iori, Sie Kensou was made to annoy him. He has priority over many of his moves. Even his weak punches and kicks cancel over Iori's normal attacks. Iori can't normally duck under his psycho ball either with his DM.

Expanding my team out now to include Athena. She's still kinda the same. But I love her Psycho 9 SDM in 2001. It's the ultimate "you suck, KO" move. VERY difficult to get going. Has anyone seen it pulled off with the psycho sword at the end? Basically she rushes in and slaps twice, then you gotta pres ABCDABCD in sequence and she keeps hitting but changes costumes back to 95. Then you can choose 3 endings. Psycho sword's costume is a BIKINI. Kinda funny being KOd by a volleyball player. It's a difficult move to time right though.

I want to expand my players out to include a grappler. I never really play with grapplers, except maybe Zangief a little in SF. I've been looking in Seth's direction. But I haven't had much time to practice. Anyone have a good grappler?

And Vanessa, I like her. But I just can't work with her. All the arms, I need a good bit of leg woman. She looks cool though. Some nice standard moves.

But I don't think I'll get tired of Kensou's juggling for a while yet.
            Wouldn't it be nice to have a hi res version of KOF with fancy music, not synth?

Comment

But most importantly the music is very memorable, that's the key word. Nothing in KOF2001/2 stands out whilst I remember all the different forms of Esaka and Sadistic Eyes is a tune! The music and BGs make Kyo vs Iori feel epic whilst in Playmore's KOF it just feels flat.
              Agreed, even though everyone has their favourite tracks, I'd bet no KOF fan has enjoyed the soundtracks since KOF '00. Tears and Goodbye Esaka are the best tracks I've heard.

My team: Vanessa, Kyo and Clark.
              There's a man who knows where its at Put Vanessa first, thats where she belongs Would have to swap Clark for K', Kula or Leona though.

As much as I hate to say it, its time for Playmore to get shot of the old Neo. Its time to move on and the old hardware is holding them back.

Comment

I used to play KOF'97 everyday until I sold my Neo collection in February to afford my new guitar.

I miss it so much.

Oh yeah, KOF2002 isn't all that. I bought it on release and then sold it a week later. Stick with anthing pre '99.

Comment

Actually I decided to play thru a few of them.
                  And I've found that I like the post 99 games more. The pre 99 games may have more soul, but the gameplay leaves me stale. I like more stuff going on. I LIKE the strikers. I like making big combos work in actual matches. I like the fine tuning on the characters are the series progresses. But playing the earlier games in the series just feels awkward sadly. Ah well.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with 2002. Ok, so it's nothing really new, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good KoF game. As I've said, if you are a Neo owner and have 98, it isn't worth it, but that's due to the cost more than anything. For people going for the DC version, it's totally worth it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                      Did you capture that using MAME? I still haven't got MAME, but would like to just to take sprite rips.
                      have you seen this place? http://www.gamegen.com/main.htm

anyway, i only started playing kof recently, 98 is the newest one i have, havent really got used to it yet after being a big capcom fanboy.

currently trying to use various people, seeing who i click with.
                      mainly using andy and king...because i at least know their moves from cap vs snk 2, but i also quite like kensou, mature, mary and chris.
                      although i have no idea if any of those characters are especially useful/good.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                        There's nothing wrong with 2002. Ok, so it's nothing really new, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good KoF game. As I've said, if you are a Neo owner and have 98, it isn't worth it, but that's due to the cost more than anything. For people going for the DC version, it's totally worth it, IMO.
                        Oh yeah man, don't get me wrong, I've preordered the DC version - It'll be well worth ?50 or whatever. But certainly not worth ?250, especially not for a 'downdate' rather than an update. Even if I was a zillionaire I'd still feel rather let down - money isn't really the question when it comes to Neo games, I love updates as long as they're not lazy ones such as MS4 and KOF2002.

Comment

Working...
                        X