Using NTSC XBOX Live in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using NTSC XBOX Live in Europe

I'm living here in Europe and want to sign up for LIVE, but I have an American XBOX and I will only be buying American games in the future .

1) Can I register the USA XBL Starter Kit from here in Europe?

2) I have both UK and German credit cards (I can use either) but is it the billing address that determines the server you are connected to, or is it determined by the type of XBOX I have (i.e. USA) ???

3) If I have to connect to either UK or German servers, am I going to have problems running American XBOX Live games and/or playing with my friends in America?

4) If by chance I can somehow connect to the USA servers, am I going to encounter much lag when playing online?

Originally posted by tomt79
    Can I register the USA XBL Starter Kit from here in Europe?
    All XBox Live kits are the same, so Yes . I have a US XBox and US Live and both work fine.

2) I have both UK and German credit cards (I can use either) but is it the billing address that determines the server you are connected to, or is it determined by the type of XBOX I have (i.e. USA) ???
    For most games, you actually set up the server yourself (or log onto someone elses) so that isn't a concern. The only real difference atm is PSO which logs onto the US servers.

3) If I have to connect to either UK or German servers, am I going to have problems running American XBOX Live games and/or playing with my friends in America?
    See above. You'll have no problems.

4) If by chance I can somehow connect to the USA servers, am I going to encounter much lag when playing online?
    So far, PSO is the only game I know of that connects to the US servers. It works absolutely fine, but then PSO isn't a game that demands high bandwidth.

Comment

There are other games the server is seperate for and they are, I believe, all the Sega Sports titles.

I play NFL2k3 on USA XB and USA game, but with a UK XBL account, and I end up on USA servers, but I can't get any of their DLC, as that seems to recognise my UK XBL account.

There is at least more of a reason with NFL2k3 than with PSO, since it is a bandwidth sucking whore, however it still runs absolutely fine the majority of the time, but it does tend to need every ounce of my double-speed Blue Yonder (cable) connection to work smoothly with the majority of the USA.

How gutting is it for me though, that the two online games I play most of are NFL2k3 and PSO, so I can never be sure if someone on my Friends list can actually play with me - even if I see them playing the same game as me. Very very silly, and it bodes badly for the globalised future of Live if this kind of thing continues. It will be very interesting to see what Sega Sports do with that XLN Sports network thing (or whatever its called) MS are setting up for Live next year... will it be USA-only? Gawd I hope not.

Comment

Since the one thing that is tempting me to get Live is the ability to play against my American mates online, what's the playability like on things like MotoGP etc? Am I going to be wasting my cash if there aren't really any UK people I want to play?

Comment

MotoGP and Ghost Recon are the titles I've played Live and there's been no problem playing with or against Americans. It doesn't seem to make much difference which country they're in.

Comment

Thanks for that. I was just concerned that transatlantic ping times would be a killer. I know they are on my modem, but if broadband makes this practical, then I'll be getting it...

Comment

Transatlantic pings will still be a bit higher than playing on a european server though... I'm not talking pings of 400ms though... probably at worst about 100ms which is perfectly fine for online play unless you're a serious perfectionist.

Comment

Working...
              X