PSO Cheating. Wheres the line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSO Cheating. Wheres the line?

So I obtained a powerful ultrarare in a trade. The trade itself was legitimate. I met someone who offered the item in question, I offered a decent item in return. I've found that the item I obtained is a duplicate (a copy made using a gameshark or exploder module, commonly referred to in PSO as a 'dupe')

So did I cheat? Am I cheating by using it? This item is hard to find as it is. It is a very very rare item. Most likely I would have never obtained one. 1. because I wouldn't find it myself. 2. Anyone who would find it wouldn't just trade it away. It's a Sabre, so every class can use it. So whoever would find it would have a good use for it.

I don't feel I did anything wrong but a lot of other players are giving me schtick for even having it, let alone using it. It's given me quite a bit to think about. Let me say that it doesn't give me an unfair advantage. It's not like I can now beat the game. Rares are still as hard to find (they are rare after all) and completing the game (in as far as that's possible, let's call it getting to level 200) is still a 400 to 500-hour job.

edit (2): annoying typo

Originally posted by Marvelon
    So I obtained a powerful ultrarare in a trade. The trade itself was legitimate. I met someone who offered the item in question, I offered a decent item in return. I've found that the item I obtained is a duplicate (a copy made using a gameshark or exploder module, commonly referred to in PSO as a 'dupe')

So did I cheat? Am I cheating by using it?
    If you didn't know it was duped when you got it, then you can't really blame yourself for cheating.

If you got the item through a legitimate trade then using it seems like fair dos too.

I worry more about the net effect of item duping - rares become less rare, making the game less interesting.

Comment

Dupes killed the DC version for me - well that and wankers killing me and stealing my stuff - and tbh if i had a duped item in my inventory i would go into a level by myself and drop it then log out - that way its gone for ever

yesterday when playing PSO a guy offered me an item which was too good to be true - so i turned him down even though i had no idea if it was duped or not -- i would rather go without than risk owning duped items ... for that very reason i will only trade with people on my friends list (95% of them from these forums) and woe betide anyone found using duped items ... they will be named and shamed

camps

Comment

tbh if i had a duped item in my inventory i would go into a level by myself and drop it then log out - that way its gone for ever
        I considered doing that. Duping isn't as rife yet on the gc as it was on the Dc version. also, the item isn't hacked (with crazy %'s, just not a genuine find) I guess i'll keep it but not use it.

Comment

Its a shame that PSO wil always be ruined by this, a game with great potential that is only really good in the first few weeks of release then its downhill from there.

Duping has killed the trading aspect of the game.

Comment

Really? How has duping done that? I traded didn't I? And no one person can obtain every single rare item in the game, they can dupe all they want they'll never find them all. You would need characters with all ID's at high levels, don't think anyone has that much time.

Sure hacking can be taken too far (see the dc version for that) but i'm not going to feel bad about owning this thing.

Comment

But surely its not all about owning every rare, Sonic Team never intended for people to collect everything.

Comment

how do I know if my items are duped or not?

Comment

if you got it from someone who shouldn't have had it - then the chances it is duped are very high

for example

playing in a server with Brats on friday night a guy was playing with us who was Lvl 24 or 40 (i forgets which one he was)

now he had every single rare in the game -- most of which he couldn't even use -- and he had no ability to play through Ultimate etc since his lvl was too low

so i would say the chances they were all duped was 95%-100%

camps

Comment

Spread Needle (i think) ruined the DC game for me.

You'd walk into a room and 2 guys have wiped the room of everything with a beefed Spread Needle, before i get near a thing.

Would only play games if they where banned.

Some **** killed me for my frying pan as well, after all that effort, i'd a rung his neck.

I remember coming across a Blue chicken thing(usually yellow) once, i get something cool, but, it wasn't AS useful to me due my level, gave it somebody for free who'd just started, you could tell by how chuffed they are.

That made me feel good about myself within that game.

Shame about the tits on there.

Comment

aye the feelgood factor in sharing with other players is certainly up there

just a shame that dupes make it so that no trades with strangers can be 100% trusted

my advice is - trade with peeps you trust, and if something seems too good to be true then it normally is

camps

Comment

It was a shame what happened to the dreamcast version, i only joined it late and found out some things the hard way!

But is this happening on the GC and Xbox already?

I have the xbox version and ive not seen anything amiss yet?

Comment

So far there is only duping on both versions, but it's not as widespread as the DC version.

Comment

I got GC pso few weeks ago and have played it loads, I had both DC versions and did find the cheating and hacking annoying.

So far on Cube I have seen some duping but from what I can tell not just everyone can dupe like on DC, you need some sort of action replay or somin just to dupe, this means its not such a big thing. After about 3 weeks I think I may have seen 1 or 2 spread needles, on DC nearly everyone had one.

So I dont think its too bad on GC, Most games I play on it on V Hard are certainly a challenge, I am having a great time on it even after over 50 hours.

Overall cheating on GC PSO has not really annoyed me much since its not such a big problem, much better than the DC version.

Comment

I agree that the hacking that went on on the DC version was absurd, items weren't just being duped they were hacked well, meaning they had ridicluous percentages and wee grinded higher than the game would normally allow. I had a Jsword on the dc vrsion with 60% on all the levels and was +99, basically I could run thorugh the ruins on my own without any problem.
                              I've not sen anything like that on the Gamecube version, nor have i come across team where the lobby is littered with lots of 999999 meseta (which was rather common on the dc version)
                              Also the gamecube verison is free from player killing and nolling, which is a great relief.
                              The spread needle was one of the greatest problems on the dc, it became really hard to hit anything if you were in a team with more than one person equipping one.
                              I've not used my duped Lavis Cannon btw, it only attacks one creature at a time (which I can't stand, thats why I always use swords or, if i'm using a mechgun, Rafoie) But I have found a chainsawd i'm using at the moment, found it myself and it's got great %'s (0/20/30/40) so i'm really happy.
                              I've lost a few 'friends' over the Lavis incident though, some guys I played with before don't mail me anymore because they feel duping ruins the game and they want no part of it whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X