Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I love Capcom so much. Who is your favourite developer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I love Capcom so much. Who is your favourite developer?

Its a fact.

I love Capcom. Without a doubt my favourite 3rd party devco. The majority of my games are by Capcom, and the majority of my favourite games have come from the Osaka based devco.

It would take a very long time to write every reason why they are so important to me as a game, but instead I thought I would simplify things. To make it easier I'll make a list of 5 reasons why I love them. It would be cool if other members followed the same path, and discussed who their favourite devco is and why.

1. Street Fighter 2 Turbo

My joint favourite game of all time. Only to be matched by Quakeworld in my list. This game created such an impact on my gaming life, that it became an obsession. Its no exageration when I say that this game took all my gaming freetime up during that period. Since then Ive bought every SF game released and enjoyed them all.

2. Shinji Mikami

Without him there would be no Biohazard. Again one of my favourite franchises. In addition to that there would be no Devil May Cry. If his vision hadn't realised that the Biohazard 4 development was opening up this new opportunity the gaming world would never have met Dante the son of Sparda. After playing, and reviewing DMC2 for ntsc-uk, its so obvious how the loss of his influence played a part in the sequel's downfall.

3. 2d

In an age where so many devcos have forgotten the wonders of 2d, Capcom haven't. While they have moved forward to 3d, they still remember the old 2d ways. While this is important for fighter fans, it is even more so for 2d shooter fans. Mars Matrix a typical example of how capcom took such a great game to the dreamcast, despite the graphics not being "next gen" and appealing to the mass market. Their loss.

4. Character design

So many great characters have been brought to the world through their games. Utilising cool artwork, and vision some of them are unsurpassed. Also remembering the innovative method of using the images of japanese "stars" in their games i.e. onimusha, and onimusha 2. While this has been tried before, it hasnt been so successful.

5. Tekki

Basically, what other devco would have the "balls" to release such a project? Financially viable? Not really. Mainstream? Not at all. Innvative? Damn straight. The only real game to separate the xbox from the ps2, and cube.

So thats it, some quite and not very detailed notes of why I love capcom. You might agree, but Id be interested in seeing other people's favourite 3rd party developers. Do you think it would be fair to split Sega into the different devcos? I would.

*note to capcom - this doesnt excuse Auto Modellista, or DMC2*

I love Capcom with the same passion as you, believe me ^^

Similarly, I love:

For their commitment to 2D gaming, and squeezing the most out of their hardware, right to the very end.

Completing the troika would be the inestimably good
    Sonic Team

Yuji Naka is God.

Comment

I agree with all of the above.

Notable mentions should also go to;

AV
      UGA
      Treasure
      Looking Glass
      AM2

Comment

I honestly don't have a favourite devco anymore, as all the one's I idolised in the past all seem to be doing stupid things (or I'm noticing the dross they are producing more).

In late eighties and early nineties, it was Sega that that would constantly amaze, with their stunning arcade titles. Games like OutRun, After Burner (god I After Burner) and Space Harrier drew me into the arcades, then I never wanted to leave. They constantly amazed me through to the early nineties when their Model # hardware hit. Virtua Racing practically knoked me out cold. Previously polygons were the domain of spoddy PC and Amiga titles that came with instruction manuals that made War and Peace look like a light read. Virtua Racing made polygons fast and cool.

However, the split into 9 distinct ddevelopment studos (which I realise has always been the case, but feels more pronounced now) has led to me becoming somewhat detached to the Sega brand. I can't seem to relate to Sega in the same way anymore.

In the mid-nineties it was Namco. I truely think Namco's support of the Playstation hardware is what threw them into the limelight as a AAA developer. Everything they touched between 1995 - 1997 seemed to turn to gold with Tekken and Tekken 2, Ridge Racer and it's multiple sequels, Ace Combat, the Crisis Series etc. making them the developer to beat when it came to the PSX hardware. Sure Sega's comparable titles were almost always deeper, but Namco's games always seemed cooler. Flinging the F/A Racing around Ridge City always felt immensely more satisfying than taking the Hornet for a spin around the Daytona Oval. I don't know where Namco went wrong to be honest. Just from 1998 nothing seemed to click for them in the same way. Whether it's the fact that they tried to focus on multiple formats, rather than concentrating on making the most out of one, but their AAA titles are few and far between (pnly Ridge 5, Time Crisis 3 and the 2 Soul Calibur titles are close to Namco's best).

Comment

well i happen to like namco for the ridge racer series and for sould calibur amoung other things. + they are pure vetrnas of the industry.
          However i also enjoy uga's work specially when it l00ks like this.

Comment

ahh

UGA

My 2nd favourite devco. Mizuguchi-san is a visionary.

Comment

I'm not one who usually forms an alliance that I trust with any one Dev, although I would have to go with Looking Glass and Bioware.

Looking Glass took the FPS genre to places that I never anticipated, plus their games were filled with such atmosphere, and attention to detail, that I felt utterly absorbed in the gaming world whenever I played one. The Thief series challenged people's perceptions of what an FPS involved, transforming the 'shooter' into 'sneak', and playing these titles in a dark room, moving through the shadows and listening in on guards' conversations, really draws me in, even today.

System Shock 2 scared the bejesus out of just about anyone who played it, so much so for some that they found themselves unable to finish the game. It was a loving update of the seminal original, with plenty of new concepts and ideas to boot, Looking Glass just understood the psychology of fear - often it's what you can hear, but can't see, that raises the true primal fears, and sound was one of the chief factors in this game.

As for Bioware, they single-handedly ressurected the RPG gaming scene on the P.C. Baldur's Gate 1&2 both hold firm places in my heart, while Planescape:Torment remains the finest RPG I have ever had the pleasure to experience, not forgetting the Fallout games which created a convincing post-apocalyptic world - which was also one that often lapsed into enjoyable self-parody, these chaps have talent in spades.

I await their next game, Lionheart, with a quiet excitement which I don't usually feel regarding forthcoming titles, but I feel it here because I know this one is going to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by daddy cool
                ahh

UGA

My 2nd favourite devco. Mizuguchi-san is a visionary.
                quite i rember in a pm on irc you alerted me to www.u-ga.com which has his diary on.Allbeit in jap.

Comment

Squaresoft and Konami are my favourite, but i also like Capcom and many more, because each company has a different vision and products. And that's good, at least for us... consumers.

Comment

My fave devolopers are

SNK - for bringing out some of the very best 2D games ever made, and a fantastic little handheld.

Sega - so many classic games over the years i've enjoyed so much. Megadrive was a staple part of my childhood.

Capcom - as with SNK, some brilliant 2D games rolled out of here. Resident Evil and Onimusha are some of my favourite series', too.

Comment

thats right snowman.

if anyone is interested here is his diary here. its kinda quiet atm, but it gets really interesting when game release time approaches.

Comment

Hmmm, I had never really thought about it until now, but looking at my games collection it's clear to see I've got a soft spot for anything Sega and Capcom. I'm also pretty keen on Konami, more for it's excellent 16-bit line-up than it's recent stuff. From Software for it's Armoured Core series, and Genki for it's Shutokou Battle series also deserve a mention.

Comment

my favourites would be

capcom - cause they made good 2d games, plus gems like resident evil series and omiusha

konami- because of silent hill series

namco - cause of these games which i love ridge racer, time crisis, tekken, soul blade, soul calibur

Comment

Konami may be up there with the greats but my personal fave is Smilebit. They are yet to create a game that I do not like and they just exude so much energy and life. Great stuff

Comment

Gari, I'm with you. Over the course of many games, Bioware has captured my heart to become my favorite developer. They have yet to make a game that I haven't loved, and no other devco can say that. None.

Comment

Working...
                              X