PDA

View Full Version : I know kung fu

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi all, in an effort to improve our fitness levels and also because we thought it would be fun, me and my lady are going to sign up for karate lessons. Does anybody else practice any martial arts and would you reccomend it?

wicky
24-10-2005, 09:13 AM
i do judo, it's been great for fitness but after 18 years of it, i am getting a few creaky bones

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Is it ever too late to start? Im 34.

spagmasterswift
24-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I studied some of the basics of Wing Chun for a couple of years, even have a pair of Kung Fu slippers :D Unfortunately I wasn't disciplined enough to continue my teachings, however I do work through the moves from time to time.

Mad Gear
24-10-2005, 12:33 PM
I do 5 Animal Traditional Kung-Fu and it's the best martial art i've ever done. I spent a good 4 years doing Karate but i look back now and realise it wasn't that great a discipline. I then flited between a few styles just to try them out and stuck on Loong Mang Pai kung-fu.

It's the hardest style i've done but the most rewarding and easily the most useful in todays Saturday night street culture. It's probably the most physical MA as it's done very traditionally with finger-tip/front knuckle press ups etc.

I've recently started pole and will be moving onto broad-sword next year. I will then have to train for around another couple of years solid to get my black belt (which is an all day grading).

I love it and can't recommend it enough. The main thing is to have fun whatever you decide on doing.

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Many thanks for the replies, gonna give it a go for sure:)HEEEEAAAYYYAAW!!!!!

venom743
24-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Do Jeet Kune Do and Japanese Kobudo (Ninjitsu) with lots of weapons training.

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Ninjitsu! that sounds good? we'll see how the karate goes first. Are lessons expensive does anyone know?

Mad Gear
24-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Usually around a fiver per lesson. One to One training is around ?15-?20.

fragmast3r
24-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Is it ever too late to start? Im 34.

same age as me and ive been doing karate now for 3 months and loving every minute, go 4 times a week, my eldest son goes 2 times a week, got my yellow belt grading on the 13th november then i can start sparing :) "kumite"

just go for it you wont regret it

i pay 27.50 per month and that is unlimited training, otherwise its a fiver per lesson

ps only down side with age is we olies havent the flexibility like when we were young :)

Kongster
24-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Do Drunken kung fu ;)

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 02:49 PM
A final question from my gf. Do men and women fight each other or is it same sex fights only? (i suspect she's looking foward to giving me a kick in head;-))

Zanza
24-10-2005, 03:20 PM
When I did Judo (around 5-6 years ago) men could be paired to fight/practice with women, but maybe things have changed.

fragmast3r
24-10-2005, 03:46 PM
in our karate you can fight any1

u sign up for contact or non contact though?

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Not signed up for anything yet, found a few clubs in my area and gonna do some ringing around tuesday.

fragmast3r
24-10-2005, 04:42 PM
where you based? as GKR (Go Kan Ryu) are pretty big in the uk, they may be worth a bell

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 04:53 PM
East london. Walthamstow area.

Mad Gear
24-10-2005, 05:04 PM
When yo've learnt some moves please go and beat up Brian Harvey. I guess it would be a bit easy though as this guy gets run over by his own car? But still manages to get a fit GF :wtf:

fragmast3r
24-10-2005, 05:08 PM
East london. Walthamstow area.

theres a gkr in walthamstow, its region 12 and there sensei's contact number is sam karagianndis 07659592097 (incase u wanna add them to your list)

http://www.gkrkarate.com/default.asp

http://www.gkr-karate.net/forum/index.php?

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 05:11 PM
The only moves i'll be making in walthamstow will be getting the f**k out of the sh*thole.

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 05:18 PM
theres a gkr in walthamstow, its region 12 and there sensei's contact number is sam karagianndis 07659592097 (incase u wanna add them to your list)

http://www.gkrkarate.com/default.asp

http://www.gkr-karate.net/forum/index.php?

thanks a lot mate, beyond the call of duty,i'll check that out.

fragmast3r
24-10-2005, 05:23 PM
no worrys , was only like 10 seconds worth of work :)

Im with GKR, and liking it a lot, even my son is liking it (goes twice a week) and now ive signed him up for the monthly direct debit he will go 3 or 4 times a week soon too :)

which ever you go with, im sure you will have great fun, especialy if your GF is doing it too......................... will make for some good fights when u get to know a few moves, especialy if uve had a domestic b4 a class :lol:

SuperDanX
24-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Ha,ha!Too right!

Emir
25-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I picked up a "Kung FU Work-out with David Carradine" vid from a boot sale recently...
I'll master those moves soon.

fragmast3r
27-10-2005, 06:17 PM
did you make a decission on what style of karate you are doing?

if so when do you start?

regards
Jason

SuperDanX
27-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Unfortunatly i havnt been able to get the time to sort it out yet as some ****er stole my car yesterday!See 'car stolen' in off topic for details.Will post here when i sort it,but at the mo its way down my to do list.

MartyG
27-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Sooner you start the better then - next time you'll be able to Kung Fu their ass ;)

The Cobra
27-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Give Muay Thai a go man, I'm loving it after switching from kickboxing after a few years. It's great to get to use your elbows and knees and hit people. :)

fragmast3r
27-10-2005, 10:02 PM
just make sure you look at cobras after match photo over at the rllmuk forums :)

only joking cobra, hats off to you :)

regards
jason

babs
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Just digging this one up from the depths.

Those who were just starting, have you kept it up? Are you enjoying it as much as you were and more importantly are you fitter for it? :)

The main reason I ask is because starting this week I'm going to be giving it a go after *years* of wanting to but never having gotten off my arse to do it. I'm going along to a local Tang Soo Do club, I've emailed the guy a couple of times and had a good look around the site and it seems fun and friendly. I'm nervous (as I suspect most are the first time), but I've heard it said plenty of times before that walking through the door is the hardest part. I guess I'll find out come Friday :)

gingerj
03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Do Karli (spell), it's the be all and end all...

babs
07-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Well, I went to my first lesson last night and what can I say - Brilliant!

I am aching all over but it feels fantastic. I had so much fun and everyone is uber-friendly. Sparring was so much fun, I thought that was the part I'd be most nervous about but no, punching and kicking and a nice bit of contact :)!

I realise this thread's a bit out of date now, but to anyone wondering if they should go and try something, DO IT! I've now got a new hobby and a new way to keep fit, I'm going along to their sunday practise now for the tricking lessons they do for fun :)

fragmast3r
07-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Still doiong my karate, train 4 days a week in our dojo, one being a double class, soon to be a triple (4.5hours as a senier class is opening soon)

got my yellow belt, currtently orange tip 7th kyu, loving sparring :) infact love it so much it can have a double :) :)

also come summer i want to see myself being at a stage that i can start to think abaout tournaments and stuff.

Kata, work on this bigtime at home, after a hectic day at work calms and relaxs me :) get some strange looks from the neighbours when doing outside though.

train at home, also doing more on top like running to strengthen legs and more stuff to focus on strength and endurance :)

loving it

El Leone
07-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Who needs Kong Fu when you can have a gun?

Crisp_Rapper
07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
gun kata!

fragmast3r
07-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Who needs Kong Fu when you can have a gun?

erm to stop getting a fat arse and podgy belly :P

babs
07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Too right, every muscle in my body is aching but it feels goooood :D

The Cobra
07-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Still doiong my karate, train 4 days a week in our dojo, one being a double class, soon to be a triple (4.5hours as a senier class is opening soon)

got my yellow belt, currtently orange tip 7th kyu, loving sparring :) infact love it so much it can have a double :) :)

also come summer i want to see myself being at a stage that i can start to think abaout tournaments and stuff.

Kata, work on this bigtime at home, after a hectic day at work calms and relaxs me :) get some strange looks from the neighbours when doing outside though.
Good stuff man. Glad you're enjoying it. I was entering tournaments all through my TaeKwondo days. Was the Kata and Kumite regional champion for a couple of years. :) I'll grab a picture of some of my trophies in a bit to show you. Even after 4 years of kickboxing, I can still remember all my Katas.

Haven't done Kumite for a while, as been concentrating on full contact kickboxing. But I entered a tournament a couple of monthgs ago, after a few years out. Everyone was in their Gees (sp?) And there was me in my kickboxing vest and trousers. Was so funny when i got on the matts against this 4th dan, my first fight for a long time. He thought I was going to be ****. 7-0. Rinsed him. He was last years running champion too. My instructor just watched with a smug look on his face, heh.

Afterwards he said "I never thought kickboxers could punch!"

Lost in the finals against a long run enemy, always used to beat him, but then when I started kickboxing, he carried on with Karate, beat me 3-2.

I absolutely love Kumite, would even consider starting up again for tournaments. I used to just sit there, on my back foot, as soon as they come in, bam. Reverse punch to the body, every time. The crowd was loving watching a kickboxer rinse all the karate boys, heh.

I love these little memories, Martial Arts is awesome. Stick at it guys.

I'm doing Muay Thai at the moment, lots of elbows and knees, very brutal. But will be joining a pretty hardcore boxing gym when i return to Uni, I really want to get back in the ring.

Here's a before and after shot of my full contact kickboxing fight. :)

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/5469/j644x429021915sf.th.jpg (http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=j644x429021915sf.jpg)

And after..

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/6933/j1632x1224079302bw.th.jpg (http://img492.imageshack.us/my.php?image=j1632x1224079302bw.jpg)

Black eye, swollen nose, bruised forhead, ears, jaw ached like ****. And you know what, I can't wait to do it again! :D

fragmast3r
12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
any sign of them trophies cobra?

also, theres a tournament on the 18th march, so ive said stuff it why wait will be entering in both kumite and kata, should get my 6th kyu orange by then, gonna be practicing my saifa kata and sparring non stop until then.

its like a drug though the more i do the more i want to go back and do more, luckily i get away with it as my eldest whos 7 does it too, come june when my youngest turns 5 he will be joining too and the wifey wants to join too :)

Nijo
13-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I went to my first Capoeira last night - one of the reasons for that choice being that it's close to my work and thus I'm more likely to continue it. :) All in all it was pretty good, body aching a bit today but I expect that'll kick in more tomorrow. Not convinced about the spiritual side I'm afraid, but from a fitness perspective it was a great workout.

My other possibility is Muay Thai but I'm wondering whether that's a bit mental. :)

babs
13-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Tonight's my second lesson, and I've been desperate to go back, it's like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid. I went along to the Tuesday lesson (sadly Japanese overruns it so I can only watch) and watched some of the senior Gups doing some high level Hyung/Forms (kata). By the looks of them they must take a lot of drumming in to get right.

This is my first lesson in my new Dobok too, I think I'll feel much more at home not being in trousers and a T-shirt. My nice new cheap interest though is far from it so far. ?30 on a dobok, ?20 insurance, ?15 kit bag, ?18 book, ?40 on sparring pads (ordering tonight) and I'm also booking my Seni tickets and hotel this weekend.

Anyone here going to Seni out of interest?

Brodie
13-01-2006, 11:11 AM
I've been doing Aikido for about 6 months now, really enjoying it. Some of the locks and throws are just evil to watch, and the feeling on your wrist or shoulder when someone applies the slightest bit of pressure is insane.

Not very good at all yet, but it's enjoyable, and i am slowly getting fitter.

We've messed about with some Aikiken sword stuff too, first with Bokkens, but a couple of times we've used katana ^_^

babs
13-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I've always wanted to try Aikido, the technique is awesome.

Kuk Sool Won and Hapkido I also find amazing to watch, especially some of the reversals in Hapkido. Check out the distance the attacker gets sent in the kick reversal right at the start of this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2544196453906352859&q=hapkido)

babs
20-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I just had another lesson, and by jiminy I feel super-pumped. It's the first time I haven't felt like aching death straight after, and it's left me on a real high.

I am sooo glad I took this up, it's fantastic.

(there, it's done, I've told someone :))

fragmast3r
20-01-2006, 10:05 PM
just looked at my karate card they tick after each lesson , in 17 weeks ive done 65 lessons :)

MattyD
23-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I've been doing Tai Chi Juan and for about a year now. That's the one with all the people in red that appears on BBC ident cards - but you aren't obliged to do it that slowly. Also, the name Tai Chi Juan translated means 'supreme ultimate cosmic boxing', which is about the best damn peice of engrish I've ever heard.

I just started doing Ba Gua through the same school too, which is similar to Tai Chi but more obviously martial in its appearance and application.

The great thing about these so-called 'internal' arts is that you can enjoy the benefits of martial arts practice without all the crazy physical jerks. I emphasise the word 'enjoy' here. I tried various Kung Fu schools before I started Tai Chi but the instructors all reminded me of that Rex Kwon Do guy in Napoleon Dynamite http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/images/smilie/laugh.gif

fragmast3r
12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
so is every1 that started in the xmas/jan time still doing there MA and enjoying it?

I sure am,

babs
12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Yup, I go to two Tang Soo Do lessons a week, and a 3rd XMA class on sundays. I'm aching every week afterwards, but it gives me such a buzz and I feel great for it. I've also done a Bo Staff seminar and have another coming up in a months time.

First grading in March, so I need to tighten up my first form and drill down on everything. Then we're off to essex for the teachers 4th Dan Master belt presentation in April, then off to Seni in May, I can't wait for that now.

fragmast3r
12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
i was thinking about going to seni in may, from the webby it looks like its gonna be fun, concentrating on my kumite (sparring) at the moment and saifa kata for the tourney im entering in come march 18th, not thinking i have any chance of winning, just want to get a few tourneys under my belt :)

currently doing 6 lessons per week, a triple on tuesdays, 1 wednesday and 1 sat, 1 sunday. then kick bag work and kata practice at home.

after 6 months, im still excited about each lesson as if it was one of my first :)

babs
13-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah I have the same thing. I start each lesson with apprehension, because I know how hard they'll work us. But afterwards I just feel so good, and ready to go again. XMA is great for that, because we have great music playing the whole time and it's a really personal thing, trying to land tricks you coulnd't before.

Seni should be a blast, my club has been up for the last 2 years and they rave about it. We're all getting tickets for Judgement Day, a tourney held inside on the Sunday which has close to 70(!) categories. We're looking forward to the forms and freestyle forms. Ashley Beck is helping run it all and should be competing. I'm looking forward to seeing Chloe Bruce (she of the scorpion kick) and the Kuk Sool Won display teams especially.

babs
27-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Two months into the year, how's everyone doing?

My enthusiasm took a serious dip a couple of weeks back when I finally realised just how shockingly poor I am at roundhouses. It's getting better though, just lots of conditioning and practise needed.

Now however I'm back on the up, we did some good sparring reflex drills and enough kicks to give you legs like the Hulk in the last session. The first grading of the year is due at the end of March, so I have 5 weeks now to fine-tune the first form, the first couple of self-defences and the first couple one-step sparring techniques.

God it'll be good to not have to don the white belt and stand (quote so far) at the back of the class :)

Mad Gear
27-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Well my training has had to decrease significantly due to the sale of my house and that my missus and i are about to adopt a little girl.

I'm about 2/3 through my pole form and will move on to broad sword in around 5-6 months. I'll then move to the big boys class and get ready for my black belt grading.

Apparently it takes 2-3 years of training between brown->black belt and it's an all day grading :/

fragmast3r
27-02-2006, 06:30 PM
My enthusiasm is still there, but work is getting in the way at times :( luckily the wife knows how much it means to me so doesnt mind (too much) if my spare couple of evenings are doing this.

as for kicks, sparring they have realy come on, i spar with a guy whos 6 ft 7, and I can front kick to his face, side kick to his head, round kicks are only rib heigt though, I need to develope some leg strength.

hoping to get sent to grading for 6th kyu (orange) next month, then on the 18th march im entering into my first tournament, doing kata/kumite and team kata.

regards
jason

Mad Gear
27-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Your'e not exactly short fraggy dude!

fragmast3r
27-02-2006, 07:45 PM
oh yeah, guess that helps a bit :)

babs
28-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, front/axe/crescent kicks I don't have too much problem with height, especially not when we do some good partner assisted stretching. We did some big front kick lifts the other day, if you told me at the start of the year that I'd have my leg near vertical with my arms around my thigh and my head on my knee I'd have laughed, but now.... :)

nips
28-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I picked up a "Kung FU Work-out with David Carradine" vid from a boot sale recently...
I'll master those moves soon.

Can you walk on rice-paper yet ;p

Plisken
01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
i started doing JuJutsu around 2 weeks ago. It's superb. Prior i'd only gone to the gym and bodybuilt, it really means nothing if you have no technique. We have been doing some counter moves agianst various grabs/weapons and learning to strike properly so far..loving it. glad i took it up.

fragmast3r
23-03-2006, 06:45 PM
first tourney, won 2 fights, then lost :(

The Cobra
24-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Congrats man, that's awesome. How did the first fights go? I bet you were buzzing after that first win.

I entered a kickboxing tournament in kent a few weeks ago, I had 4 fights all in all, and came out the Southern UK University Welterweight kickboxing champion! Now there's a title and a half.

Was meant to fight for the british title tomorrow night, but I had to pull out. :(

babs
24-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I have my first tourney in April, a local open. Apparently it's divided by belt and then by weight class, so at least fights should be fair :)

Bit apprehensive, but with the amount of sparring we do at the moment it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm also in the midst of being assessed for my 9th Gup, so hopefully within a few weeks I can replace my (now grubby) white belt with a spangly yellow one :D

Jaxon
02-04-2006, 04:39 AM
http://www.bullshido.net/

Specializing in dealing with ridiculous claims of "death touch" practitioners and black belt by mail courses, but also a great forum for general martial arts discussion.

MattyD
03-04-2006, 12:36 PM
FINALLY my Tai Chi group has advanced to the heady heights of the Long Yang form (damn they're slow learners) and some decent Pushing Hands (Tai Chi sparring). The Ba Gua is coming along nicely too.

I wish there was more emphasis on body conditioning though, particularly the flexability side. One of my hamstrings is still quite tight after I tore it a few years ago, and I still can't twist myself into a full Lotus position when I do zazen. Anyone got any pointers on these?

babs
15-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Quick bump up.

How's everyone doing, still training hard? My first tourney was called off, and there's nothing immediate lined up either. I'm not bothered in all honesty, I'm really enjoying the rest of what we do.

I passed my 9th Gup grading a few weeks back, the mighty ranks of yellow belt ;) Forms are starting to get interesting now, especially the ones I'll need for my next, next belt.

Did anyone else go to SENI a couple of weeks back? What a cracking show, there was loads of Tai Chi exhibitors and displays, Matty would have approved. For me the highlight was watching the Silver Dragons display team - they were the best on show and are all from Tang Soo Do which added extra pride :). SENI Pics if anyone's interested are here (http://www.cornwalltangsoodo.co.uk/index.php?page=4&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=5&sort_method=pic_time&sort_order=DESC&initial=all&start=24).

fragmast3r
24-07-2006, 05:48 PM
been away for yonks,

yep im still doing my karate, up 2 green belt now, wow that was a hard grading just over 2 hours over karate then 30 minutes of sparring 3 x 3minute rounds with 3 different instructors.

went to seni, awesome experience, watched a kick boxing tournament while there.

did you see the shikes (sp) at the very end on display, how that guy didnt get his hand cut off when he tried to stop the melon rolling off his stomach....

recently took up kick boxing which im totaly loving.

karate 3 times a week and kick boxing 2 times a week,

any1 else doing anything still or recently took summut up?

babs
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Took my 8th Gup grading on Sunday and passed - orange belt now. Finally up past the basic forms, lots more interesting stuff to learn now. I nearly passed out a couple of times during the grading, but I'm so pleased with myself for having made it through.

We had a physical, lots of basics up and down the hall by the count, forms (3 of them), self-defence (Ho Sin Sool), one-step sparring, terminology and knowledge test at the bench and finally the breaks.

I only wish I could train as often as you frag :)

Jimmyzilla
05-10-2006, 11:14 PM
BUMP! Everyone still training??

I started Aikido tonight and thought it was great! It's a lot of good fun and way different to Kickboxing and they don't clash which is great! :D kb tuesday wednesday friday and aikido on thursday saturday! The only problem is that i'm usually still sore from kickboxing....lucky aikido isn't too intensive :P

MO2J
07-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Slightly different from the normal 'striking' arts but I do Brazilian Jiujitsu, which is basically the sort of grappling you see in Mixed Martial Arts events like the UFC. It's a lot of fun, very exhausting and a great way to vent off various stresses that have built up during the course of the week (same as any martial art in that respect I guess). You could probably find a better explanation of it on Wikipedia. We integrate some other grappling styles and Judo as well, which I would like to pursue seperatley at some point.

babs
07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Am going for 7th Gup in a few weeks time, can't wait.

We've had some real beastings of lessons lately, my knuckles are still healing weeks after a focus mitt session - but I love it all.

Then we're off up to Manchester on the 28th for the British EMTF (our new federation) championships.

I've always liked the look of BJJ and aikido. I'd love a go at Hapkido though :)

stormbreak
07-10-2006, 09:26 PM
I used to do Choi Kwang Do, did it for around 2 years before I stopped going.

I am really interested in going Muay Thai, I have a few friends who go, and I would love to join them.

mr ooops
12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
well, whos still doing what then? anyone else started anything since the last post?

had to make a choice, couldnt keep up the training on both karate and kickboxing so had to make a a hard decision stop one or the other. In the end i stuck with the kickboxing, training twice a week now, want to do more but hey got to balance my hobbies with the wife and kids so not to bad.

been to watch a couple of kick boxing tournaments, and have started to add some other stuff to my training ie jogging, weights, bit of yoga (stop sniggering at the back) as Id like to enter a kickboxing tournament at the end of this year.

anyone going to seni this year, may the 19th/20th i think, but being held in london not birmingham.

enough rambling :)

regards
jason

MattyD
12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm still really enjoying my Tai Chi. I've actually started learning the Meo Tao(sp?) AKA Katana - the Chinese version of the Katana is the same except it doesn't have a hilt, but the wooden swords (bo-ken) we use have them and the art is exactly the same.

The story goes that the master who founded my school (http://www.wutan-bournemouth.co.uk/), took a Katana from a killed Japanese officer during the battle of Manchuria, and trained his unit to fight with them in the jungles there, where low visibility put the rifle-wielding Japanese at a disadvantage :ph34r:

I'm not exactly Joe Musashi yet but I'm getting there :D

wicky
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
dunno if iposted already or not, but i used to do judo. I practiced for 18 years and I had to give it up due to injury.

I miss fighting. :( it's real tough after so many years to give something up

DCharlie
13-01-2007, 05:32 AM
i might have posted, but perhaps not -
i did Bushido Kempo Ju Jitsu for 8 years, stopped as i got involved in Rugby and football.

A shame - i really loved it and was one belt from Black at 17.

DCharlie
14-01-2007, 01:36 AM
one question that lapse martial artists might be able to help with - when i was actively in training , i was incredibly flexible. The usually routing of hooking your right foot behind a training partners head and having them stand up whilst you touched your head to each knee in turn was easy to do.

However, within a year or so of stopping training, all that good work was lost.

Did anyone manage to retain the flexibility? Is it as simple as just retraining or am i going to cause myself a bit of damage (bear in mind it's 15+ years since i did any training)

... perhaps i should just join somewhere here?

k0pp0
15-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Seems to me that the flexibility can be regained quite quickly if you've been 'flexible' before. I've lost a lot of flexibility since I started my current Martial Art, but I know that with a bit of elbow grease I could get it back (having a major warm-up stretching session will get me to about 70% of where I was before).

Have a look at Pavel Tatsouline's stuff.. Excellent for gaining flexibility AND strength.

And a final tip from the top.. Lot's of static stretching before exercise is BAD!

dataDave
15-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I used to study Bujinkan Ninjitsu (http://www.bujinkan.com/) when I wasn't so skinny. Even got to meet Masaaki Hatsumi at a convention who took me down with a small piece of rope, whilst drunk, him not me. Got that on tape somewhere.

That went on for 3 years before some Scottish lads came down to our dojo for a visit and absolutely paggered me into a serious chest injury, which didn't do my morale any good.

I might take up some form of kung-fu that focuses on piercing strikes as I have strong, boney fingers now thanks to the guitar, and also that's where I was getting up to with my Ninjitsu before whimpering out.

thebuddahman
15-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I used to do Wadoryu Karate for years as a kid. I regret not continuing it as the sensei had me down as his 'wonderkid' since I was about to take my black belt at 13 (apologies for willy waving!). Unfortunately a combination of high school/puberty and it being a long way to travel (wanted the same sensei) caused it all to come to an end. A real shame.

Swallow
15-01-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm off for MMA (mixed martial arts) training now, been doing it for about 11 months. It consists of striking, takedowns and ground fighting, basically all the fun bits of Thai boxing, judo and ju-jitsu (or Sambo).

It's really good fun, and great for all round co-ordination. The greatest benefit of all martial arts is, I reckon, increased self confidence and self discipline.

And punching people really hard in the face...

babs
16-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Still at 7th Gup, but loving the training. We've made a new competition squad (forms and sparring) and had squad training on Sunday. Am aching like a muddy funster now, but love having the ache back.

First competition is on the 28th, and really looking forward to seeing how many shades of poop I can have knocked out of me :)

DCharlie
16-01-2007, 09:15 AM
cheers k0pp0.

That went on for 3 years before some Scottish lads came down to our dojo for a visit and absolutely paggered me into a serious chest injury, which didn't do my morale any good.

yeah, i had the utter sh1t kicked out of me by a visiting instructor. 3 minutes of what i can only describe as utter humiliation. It really doesn't help the old confidence :)

k0pp0
16-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I used to study Bujinkan Ninjitsu (http://www.bujinkan.com/) when I wasn't so skinny. Even got to meet Masaaki Hatsumi at a convention who took me down with a small piece of rope, whilst drunk, him not me. Got that on tape somewhere.

I might take up some form of kung-fu that focuses on piercing strikes as I have strong, boney fingers now thanks to the guitar, and also that's where I was getting up to with my Ninjitsu before whimpering out.

Oooo Did you? Who was your Shidoshi? I'm currently studying it at the moment (got me 3rd dan in japan last year), and to be honest I think it's one of the most complete systems out there. Ask someone to show some of the 'applications' of kyusho in the Takagi Yoshin and Koto schools and those bony fingers will come in very useful.

Until someone tries throwing you with them. :hmm:

k0pp0
16-01-2007, 02:51 PM
cheers k0pp0.

yeah, i had the utter sh1t kicked out of me by a visiting instructor. 3 minutes of what i can only describe as utter humiliation. It really doesn't help the old confidence :)

Got dumped on my arse anumber of times last night whilst not being able to breakfall, and usually with someone's thumb stuck in one of the pressure points in my throat. Cue getting winded about 3 times on the trot.

Not only did I look stupid, but managed to do it with excellent screams of agony.

I'd still go back for more though. However, these guy's who seem to delight in kicking the ****e out of their own (or other peoples) students are knobs.

dataDave
16-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Oooo Did you? Who was your Shidoshi?

Brian McCarthy (Shihan at the time I believe).

Fairly quiet guy but he seemed nice enough.

They were a top set of blokes at the dojo, I should bob in and say hi but I'm afraid I'd get talked into a session where I'd be very rusty and probably get hurt due to being two stones lighter than when I was 18. I'd only reached 5th Kyu but was well into it.

Nah, Kung Fu for me now. Not really into getting back to the gym to bulk up so that I can avoid throwing injuries. Only interested in kicking the **** out of a punch bag and building stamina tbh.

k0pp0
17-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Ah.. My instructor was one of Brian's students about 20 or so years ago. I definately wouldn't call what Brian teaches Bujinkan, but eash to their one.

If you're worried about injuries, then I still recommend the Pavel vids for useful range of motion/flexibility excersises.. All based around Systema stuff, and them boys know their ****e.

MO2J
17-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm off for MMA (mixed martial arts) training now, been doing it for about 11 months. It consists of striking, takedowns and ground fighting, basically all the fun bits of Thai boxing, judo and ju-jitsu (or Sambo).

It's really good fun, and great for all round co-ordination. The greatest benefit of all martial arts is, I reckon, increased self confidence and self discipline.

And punching people really hard in the face...

I don't do the striking stuff but I've been grappling for about 18 months now. We used to be just Brazilian JiuJitsu, but we're affiliated with Gokor Chivichyan and Gene LeBell's Hayastan gym in America now, so it's more submission grappling. Completely agree with what you said about it being fun and good for co-ordination, for me it's a great way to umwind and let off the pressure that the week has built up.

^Katsu
18-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Ninjutsu & Systema are both definately top notch and go very well with each other. Obviously you need a quality instructor as there are a fair few not so good ones, but I guess it depends on your personal learning style etc...

The only advice I would give regardless of which art you choose, would be to train realistically and to the harshest limit you are willing to explore. It will help you stay alive which is the ultimate goal after all and you dont know who is round the corner :ph34r:

One of the biggest benefits of Systema is the impact on your way of thinking and dealing with situations as they arise with no thought, I will stress that it is important to stay above the water tho as I have seen a few folks with unrealistic impressions of their abilities :s

SuperDanX
23-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Might wanna keep this one?

babs
23-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Hell yeah. Meant to update it a while ago actually. Entered my first open competition in January, in the mens Heavyweight point stop sparring (junior grades) division - and won it!

next grading next month :scared:

MattyD
29-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Been a long time since anyone posted in here. How are we all doing?

I just got back from a seminar with my Tai Chi Juan school (http://www.wutan-bournemouth.co.uk/). The school also teaches Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Hsing-I and Ba Gua, and they hold a get-together for all the local classes once a year where they hold demonstrations and cross-training stands, basically so that everyone gets an insight into something they don't already practice.

I've only ever done the 'internal' arts - Tai Chi Juan, Ba Gua and some Hsing-I - and the difference between those and the 'external' ones like Kung Fu was immediately apparent to me.

The Kung Fu in particular seems to depend a lot more on a person's physical strength and flexability for its effectiveness and I found some of the moves overly fiddly and unstable. It also reminded me, again, that I really need to do more flexability training. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though.

Kickboxing on the other hand was more of a blunt instrument, very simple but obviously very effective. It seemed far more feasible to use in a dangerous situation than the Kung Fu and was very enjoyable. Bagwork must be great fun ^_^

The other thing I tried was some Five Fist Hsing-I. This is the most basic Hsing-I form (there are also 12 animal forms) and has just five moves, but the old masters would apparently drill their students in each move for up to five years before teaching them the next. When you try it, it's not hard to see why. Although it appears far less complex than the Kung Fu, it takes extraordinary self-control and co-ordination to make the moves flow. It uses similar principles to Tai Chi for co-ordinating the body and bringing strength from within, meaning you don't need to rely on brute strength or momentum but you also have a lot to think about and need a lot of practice before it becomes second nature. You can see a good demonstration of five fist here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZ3xn-UmjI).

All in all it was a great way to shake out the cobwebs whilst getting a taste of what's out there.

babs
29-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I've always wanted to try Ba Gua and Hsing I, I may dabble once I reach Dan grade in my art first.

A few weeks ago I tested for 6th Gup in Tang Soo Do and passed (nearly passed out more like!), and now we're working hard with our fight squad for the next competition, and setting up a demo for a local town summer fair.

The forms (hyung/kata) I have now are starting to get much harder and much more interesting.

More importantly - SENI IN 3 WEEKS! Anyone else coming along?

MattyD
29-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately it's very hard to find a good teacher for Hsing I and Ba Gua. Most often they are taught only by the better (read: martial) Tai Chi schools, and only then as a supplement to the Tai Chi. It's a shame really since they are very powerful arts in their own right. I suppose if you live in or near a big city you might be able to find a school that teaches them.

Swallow
30-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Hmmm, MMA is still going well, should be doing some submission tournaments this year :s

I really want to do something to complement MMA and boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu would be ideal, but the nearest place where it's taught is Nottingham, 40odd miles, and I don't fancy doing that twice a week.

It's a dilemma..

babs
31-07-2007, 09:17 AM
So how's everyone doing? It's been a while since this one got buried again? I tested for 5th Gup this week and passed, it nearly killed me once again :)

Then on the Sunday we went to a local tournament again. Although this time I took a damn good kicking from a guy who entered himself in a weight division higher (mine) than his normal one, it was a great day and we had a good haul as a club.

I'm loving the training at the moment, and the study of the history and background. It's really interesting to go to these competitions and watch the Japanese and Okinawan versions of our forms and how much they differ.

fragmast3r
31-07-2007, 01:57 PM
still doing my kick boxing, loving it, i do miss the karate though but alas not enough time for both, realy stepped it up recently though as tournament in september so been doing more running, weights etc to get the rest of my fitness up.

k0pp0
31-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Umm. I'm a 4th Dan now. ****ting it because I've got to go to Japan for the next grading. And that involves getting out the way of someone smashing you over the head with a (padded) Shinai.

From behind.

Babs, what Hyung are learning now?

babs
31-07-2007, 04:28 PM
For my next grading it'll be Pyung Ahn Sam Dan (pinan/heian sam dan). I essentially know it already, I just need to get it really tidy now, and get the breathing right.

They're starting to get a lot more interesting now, with much more variation in stance, and showing tension/relaxation.

I also have a 3-section staff I picked up at seni which I'm dying to injur myself with :D

babs
10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
This one's been buried for far too long! Anyone still training in something? :)

I graded for 4th Gup a few weeks back and passed, that's about as big as my news gets. I'm just looking forward now to the day-after-boxing-day beach training and dip in the sea :D

Rick
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Bit of a thread bump, But anyone still doing there respective martial arts?

I graded for my Green Belt In Kickboxing on Sunday, and im still feeling it today. So bloody sore.

^Katsu
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Still follow mine but have no actually been for an age! I was actually just watching a Ninjutsu DVD :o

NW2013
06-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Can you do MMA as just a self-defence thing, like not taking part in competition, etc?

Asholay
07-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I've done Zen Kempo Ryu Ju Jitsu for a few years now - taking my Green (6th) belt in December... It's a very practical self-defence form of Jitsu covering armed opponents, strangles, grabs, multiple opponents, even shiatsu... There's no dance choreography, which I love - it's just pure usable stuff.

Stu - yes, you can... but don't rule things out ;)

I also trained with Chris Bacon (MMA) Manchester Budo for a few years while at uni... now that was fun lol !! (this fella - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgl_2Uk5tjU )

vincechan
10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I trained in Shotokan Karate for about eleven years, which was good fun, but stopped when I closed our club after our sensei died. Since then, I've been learning Wing Chun kung fu. Totally different than karate, spent a good while unlearning our old style. :)

k0pp0
10-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Still doing mine - just got over another knee related set back. Did a mini seminar for some Taekwondo types today which was fun - they were a really sound bunch, and we stepped it up slightly for them so there were lots of ooo's and ah's. Although I now have some choice bruises.

^Katsu
10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Still doing mine - just got over another knee related set back. Did a mini seminar for some Taekwondo types today which was fun - they were a really sound bunch, and we stepped it up slightly for them so there were lots of ooo's and ah's. Although I now have some choice bruises.

My old instructor and I used to hire out the space next to the TKD lot just before they finished. They would all be looking over at what we were at and it used to proper vex their instructor :ho: Got a few more people to our class for a short while :)

dataDave
10-10-2009, 11:01 PM
2k1gu-OAgV4

nakamura
11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Classic!

NW2013
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Ahahaha! That was brilliant.

prinnysquad
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I practiced horse stance in the garden but collapsed after 5 minutes.

k0pp0
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Video clips like that make me very happy indeed - apart from the fact that the has just made himself a target for all kinds of abuse now.

QualityChimp
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
That video was great, but I was anxious watching it!

The Chav is called Les Andrews and is threatening The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2674758/Yob-shown-being-floored-by-ex-soldier-threatens-Sun.html) for being humiliated:

THE yob seen on The Sun's website being floored by an ex-soldier is threatening to sue us - for humiliating him.

Les Andrews, 23, got on to his solicitor after more than 200,000 readers saw him belted by Jason Smith. The thug rang us and said: "I'm going to sue. I've got everyone staring at me because of this.
"He should be apologising to me. What have I got to apologise for ? I got arrested for it at the time and I got a fine. Now I feel all depressed."

But Gulf War veteran Jason, 35, told how his life had been made hell by yobs like Andrews in St Helens, Merseyside. After complaining to police FIFTY times in a year, the 15st karate and jiu-jitsu black belt snapped when Andrews swore and pushed him on his doorstep.

Yesterday Jason said: "These thugs repeatedly abused me and my family and damaged our property. I've never gone out looking for trouble but think you've got to be able to defend yourself." He has now moved away from the estate with daughter Boudiccia, 22 months, and wife Rebecca, 23.

Yesterday the father of Andrews - who was put under curfew for the public order offence - said his son had also moved away. Les Snr said: "He's getting his life back on track."

Lorfarius
12-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Shocking. The chav clearly tries his best to start a fight and intimidate the guy on the doorstep for several minutes yet feels he is the victim?

k0pp0
13-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Isn't that sort of thing always the case? He'll probably get compensation too.

Ajay1986
13-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I was actually saying to someone earlier that I bet the guy in the video had been subject to some horrendous abuse, glad to hear he's got out of that area.

Asholay
14-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Isn't that sort of thing always the case? He'll probably get compensation too.

I'd hope not - although I'm impressed that the Sun (of all sources) seem to be doing a great job of highlighting stories like this and humiliating twats like this; the same applies for those cage-fighters on a stag-do who put that yob and his croney straight to the deck.

It's just a shame that for every story of 'getting more than they bargained for' there's some OAP or passive chap who's had their face trodded on by these scum.

I should buy one of those latex OAP masks and walk past groups of chavs while being secretly filmed - just to see how they treat their elders... and also for some great YouTube footage of when they try to pick on Super Gramps!

sharky_ob
14-10-2009, 10:21 AM
It was chav on chav action. Boudiccia ffs?

Peekay
24-11-2009, 07:16 AM
My kickboxing match from Sunday is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNNtNbS0w8). Only one round - at some point I got a cut on my shin and the ref stopped it during the break, handing me a TKO loss. (First time I've ever been stopped.) I didn't notice it until I went back to my corner, and it didn't hurt, but it is/was fairly deep and it would definitely have opened up further if I'd continued fighting. Probably for the best - I was a bit tired and wasn't really enjoying my opponent's leg kicks. I should have kept my hands higher and thrown straighter punches, but who cares? It was fun. Sort of.

(I'm the one wearing the Ireland shorts. A bad week for Irish sport.)

QualityChimp
25-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Impressive! Seemed like you were the more aggressive, so it's a shame you didn't win.

Is it me, or can the ref not keep his hands off your ass?!

Peekay
27-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Impressive! Seemed like you were the more aggressive, so it's a shame you didn't win.

Is it me, or can the ref not keep his hands off your ass?!

Well, he's only human.

k0pp0
28-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice scrappage their.

In other news, the missus has decided to let me (yeah, I know) go back to Japan next year to train for a week or so. Can't wait, but I'm in pretty shabby condition, and training for between 4 and 6 hours everyday takes it out of you a bit :s

Peekay
01-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice scrappage their.

In other news, the missus has decided to let me (yeah, I know) go back to Japan next year to train for a week or so. Can't wait, but I'm in pretty shabby condition, and training for between 4 and 6 hours everyday takes it out of you a bit :s

What will you be training in? Whereabouts? Bring plenty of money, the yen surged yesterday...

k0pp0
04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Generally in Noda at the Bujinkan Hombu - although the strong Yen is making me wince a bit, if I take and pass my fifth dan test I'll be shelling out big (with yearly membership, teaching license, hotel fees, food.. the list goes on).

Balls.

Peekay
09-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Generally in Noda at the Bujinkan Hombu - although the strong Yen is making me wince a bit, if I take and pass my fifth dan test I'll be shelling out big (with yearly membership, teaching license, hotel fees, food.. the list goes on).

Balls.

So ninjutsu training, essentially? What's the name of that massive hammer used to smash down castle doors - have you ever been taught any techniques with that? (I can't remember its name, but it looks like a lot of fun.)

JazzFunk
09-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Out of curiosity, how does it work when you wear specs? Do you have to take them off? It's just, I can barely see any detail 1.5ft in front of me, but I imagine most martial arts - when fought at higher levels - involve some serious levels of skilled attack, and glasses seem to me like a bit of a weakness in this regard.

I mean, I'd rather be sparring with a blur and get an elbow to the face, rather than be sparring with someone in Full HD and get some cracked specs and glass fragments on/in my eyeballs.

vincechan
09-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I wear contacts when I'm training these day. I used to be able to wear my glasses no problem when I did karate before - we never really aimed to punch each other in the head - but I found that when I started doing Wing Chun, I kept walking into people's fists! Stuff to do with the distance from your eyes making it harder to judge, I reckon (nothing to do with being a bit rubbish, though... LOL ;))

k0pp0
10-12-2009, 07:20 AM
So ninjutsu training, essentially? What's the name of that massive hammer used to smash down castle doors - have you ever been taught any techniques with that? (I can't remember its name, but it looks like a lot of fun.)

Yep!! Bujinkan Ninjutsu.

O-tsuchi is the name of the big hammer - used in Shinden Fudo Ryu (that school has the big axe and big swords as well). Wouldn't knock down a castle door, but (like the other oversided weapons) works well 'in a team' of people.. Fun to learn (from a historical weapons point of view) and good for your taijutsu but not particularly practical.

k0pp0
10-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Out of curiosity, how does it work when you wear specs? Do you have to take them off? It's just, I can barely see any detail 1.5ft in front of me, but I imagine most martial arts - when fought at higher levels - involve some serious levels of skilled attack, and glasses seem to me like a bit of a weakness in this regard.

I mean, I'd rather be sparring with a blur and get an elbow to the face, rather than be sparring with someone in Full HD and get some cracked specs and glass fragments on/in my eyeballs.

There's a couple of lads that I train with that wear glasses, but I would 100% recommend contacts. You don't want to get punched in the face with them on (even if you get some basketball player style plastic wraparounds).

Saying that, if you get whacked in the face wearing contacts they can pop out - that's happened to me a few times.

Peekay
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Fun to learn (from a historical weapons point of view) and good for your taijutsu but not particularly practical.

What's a taijutsu? Also, how much Japanese do you speak (or how much English do your instructors in Japan speak)? Training Muay Thai in Korean is one thing - "elbow goes in face" - but I imagine ninjutsu is a lot more complex...

Regarding glasses and martial arts/combat sports - Benson Henderson, who is the current WEC lightweight champion, recently had laser surgery to correct his eyesight. He's shortsighted, and reckons that now (fighting without contacts) he has maybe 3/4 of a second to react to a punch coming his way rather than 1/8 of a second... a lot of people who wear glasses train and fight.

powkisser
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Started kickboxing this week (monday), first exercise for about 6 years. Not done any MA, since i was 23ish, so 10 years.. Still hurting now :) great fun though, need to get fit and loose the fat gut i have so im hopeing that this will help somewhat

powkisser
15-12-2009, 11:31 AM
second class last night, i dont ache as much as last week which must be a good sign

Peekay
16-12-2009, 07:20 AM
second class last night, i dont ache as much as last week which must be a good sign

How much are you paying? How long are the classes/how many people are in them?

powkisser
16-12-2009, 01:52 PM
£5
2 1/2 hours
8\10 peeps in them

Rick
20-12-2009, 07:44 AM
I had a fight last night. "light" continuous Kickboxing. I lost, but apparently it was a surprising decision. 3x 1.5 min rounds.
Shafted after it, but I loved it. Really really good fun. I knew the guy I was fighting and he'd been training quite hard for it, but we were both supposed to be fighting other people.
My mate filmed it, i'll stick it up when I get it

Peekay
01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
My fight from yesterday (Sunday) is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtyLkG4-x8). I've just been training in Thailand so I felt like my fitness was decent. Nearly knocked him out in the second round, too.

More importantly my crowd-pleasing entrance is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5j2rnd0dNc)!

Peekay
06-04-2010, 06:35 AM
My fight from last weekend. This guy was a definite step up in competition - quick and well up for it. I barely threw a kick the whole match as a) he was too quick and b) right at the start of the first round I took an elbow to the jaw which nearly KOed me. I can't remember much of the match at all and I was babbling nonsense for about five hours afterwards. Everything was kind of blurry and dark. I got the nod from the judges but watching it again, I'm not really sure why...

Round 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evUNicSse2g)

Round 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mIp_Js2z4)

Round 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSvA9ldDpc)

Also there must be other NTSC-ukers competing or practicing in martial arts at the moment..?

k0pp0
07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Ouch.. fair play for still standing on that one mate. I'm still training - don't think that will ever change :rolleyes:

k0pp0
09-04-2010, 08:15 AM
What's a taijutsu? Also, how much Japanese do you speak (or how much English do your instructors in Japan speak)? Training Muay Thai in Korean is one thing - "elbow goes in face" - but I imagine ninjutsu is a lot more complex...

Regarding glasses and martial arts/combat sports - Benson Henderson, who is the current WEC lightweight champion, recently had laser surgery to correct his eyesight. He's shortsighted, and reckons that now (fighting without contacts) he has maybe 3/4 of a second to react to a punch coming his way rather than 1/8 of a second... a lot of people who wear glasses train and fight.

A taijutsu is the way of movement for a martial art really. Amount of Japanese used is dependant on the instructor but there's usually about 2-3 translators in each class anyway. Every technique has a traditional name, but most of the time it's 'when they move here smack them with this'.
So out of the 9 or so schools we are supposed to learn, only about 7 of them have actual listed techniques, the others are more like instruction guides for samurai's.. reading weather, building fortresses etc (cue 'that wouldn't work on the street' statement).

Interesting thing is that the westerners need a lot more 'verbal coaching' when training, whereas the japanese just watch everything very closely - it's rare to see a Japanese student ask an instructor to repeat a technique.

Peekay
12-04-2010, 04:43 AM
A taijutsu is the way of movement for a martial art really. Amount of Japanese used is dependant on the instructor but there's usually about 2-3 translators in each class anyway. Every technique has a traditional name, but most of the time it's 'when they move here smack them with this'.
So out of the 9 or so schools we are supposed to learn, only about 7 of them have actual listed techniques, the others are more like instruction guides for samurai's.. reading weather, building fortresses etc (cue 'that wouldn't work on the street' statement).

Interesting thing is that the westerners need a lot more 'verbal coaching' when training, whereas the japanese just watch everything very closely - it's rare to see a Japanese student ask an instructor to repeat a technique.

The first kick I checked was fairly unpleasant - felt good to get the win when I was basically fighting on basic brain stem functions.

So did you go to Japan in the end? Is there any sparring? Such a thing as ninjutsu contests or matches? (I'm thinking no?)

I've noticed that training in Korea, too. Westerners (me) are always asking "so why do we..?", "how can I..?" etc, whereas the Koreans training repeat what they're shown and only change things if they're told to.

k0pp0
14-04-2010, 09:37 PM
The first kick I checked was fairly unpleasant - felt good to get the win when I was basically fighting on basic brain stem functions.

So did you go to Japan in the end? Is there any sparring? Such a thing as ninjutsu contests or matches? (I'm thinking no?)

I've noticed that training in Korea, too. Westerners (me) are always asking "so why do we..?", "how can I..?" etc, whereas the Koreans training repeat what they're shown and only change things if they're told to.

End of October for Japan (yay!).

No competitions. No pads or anything in training anyway, but generally training is done very slowly and carefully, almost learning by playing with techniques - getting fingers in the eyes at high speed often offends. Some guys do randori style sparring, usually aiming to tak ethe uke to the floor and control. And quite frankly it can look very ineffective (as can any martial art not being done at full speed/intent).

However, I've been hit/thrown/twisted into pretzels enough times to say that it's very effective. My brother is employed to teach control and restraint techniques, and I reguarly show him little gems from what I do that supplements the teaching he does, and he's worked in places like Broadmoor.

Most of the Japanese guys have high ranks in Judo, Kendo, Jujitsu, Karate etc and have migrated to Ninjutsu - Nagato Sensei was a very handy kickboxer for instance (and scary as fook too) - some great stories about him around as well.

Peekay
23-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Most of the Japanese guys have high ranks in Judo, Kendo, Jujitsu, Karate etc and have migrated to Ninjutsu - Nagato Sensei was a very handy kickboxer for instance (and scary as fook too) - some great stories about him around as well.

I Googled him - sounds like a right nutter. Presumably when you go to Japan you're training full-time? What's the schedule like? And what's your training schedule like in the UK?

Peekay
19-05-2010, 08:07 AM
My fight from Sunday is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9cqLaY9fMg&feature=channel).

k0pp0
27-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I Googled him - sounds like a right nutter. Presumably when you go to Japan you're training full-time? What's the schedule like? And what's your training schedule like in the UK?

Training in japan is 2-3 lessons a day, 2 hours each for around 10 days. Generally ruined when we get back. In the uk it depends where you live as to the amount of training you can get in, at the moment it's twice a week for me with the odd lunchtime session thrown in. Before wife + child it was 5-6 times a week.

wicky
28-05-2010, 10:56 PM
i do judo, it's been great for fitness but after 18 years of it, i am getting a few creaky bones

ah bless this was back in 2005 - i have since quit (in 2007) :( and took up netball (due to lots of pain in my joints after every practice)

How is everyone else getting on ?

Peekay
01-07-2010, 06:25 AM
How is everyone else getting on ?

Got a fight on the 31st of this month, I'll post a video. (Unless I get knocked out or something.)

Rick
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
My fight from Sunday is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9cqLaY9fMg&feature=channel).

hope you don't mind me picking up on a few points as i watched that

Everytime you went for a kick your arms drop, infact they were all over the place at some points. You were telegraphing them in, if you watch you can tell when your going to throw a roundhouse by the way your arms move.

your not covering up when being attacked. I know your probably getting tired with it being 3min rounds, but you need to keep those arms up.

your not using your range advantage.

Where is your jab? In the past I've used a softer jab to make them feel like my jab is crap, then when they stop covering up for the "soft" jab I throw proper one through

Well done for fighting, 3 minute rounds feel like hours

k0pp0
17-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Just waiting to see if both my knees disintegrate before I get to Japan. Definitely forsee issues after training there..

^Katsu
17-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Just waiting to see if both my knees disintegrate before I get to Japan. Definitely forsee issues after training there..

Hehe, I'd say its a worthwhile forfit esp if you get to train with soke & co. If I could just go somewhere & do something thats where i'd be!

k0pp0
25-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I'm in Japan and have been since wednesday last week. It's truly awesome, but my trusty knee injury is trying to make a reappearance.

And I had my lip split very nicely today.

Charlie
25-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I've been doing Tai Chi for a while (dunno whether that really qualifies as a martial art) as well as Yoga for over 10 years (which definitely isn't a martial art) and both have the paradoxical effect of simultaneously relaxing and energising me. To say they're physical exercises, I find they benefit the mind more than anything and have a positive effect on my mental clarity and general sense of well-being.

NW2013
13-03-2011, 12:27 PM
How much are people paying for their classes and how many classes per week is that for?

Also if Jiu Jitsu any good as a self defence martial art? I'm thinking of going to a class.

vincechan
13-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Our association charge about ?50 per month. In terms of classes, we're quite lucky as we have a permanent training venue (not in a rented church hall or the like), so there are classes pretty much everyday. An advanced student could train 5-6 times a week.

Me? I've been a bit lazy of late, so somewhat LESS than that! ;)

chojin
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
My son turned 6 in August so he's now able to compete in most sports as he's passed the "insurance" age..

He loves anything kung fu related, so decided I should look into it.

I have hit the weights in the gym for years and know most of the regulars in there, including a Mr Roger Lawrence, who up until last week I had no idea he was a 4x world champion Tae Kwon Do fighter.. he's got a few schools in the north west, so after speaking to him, myself and my son have had our first 2 lessons this week.

I absolutely love it, considering I cycle to work every day and I have consistently hit the gym I thought I was quite strong, but today I am hurting in places I have never done before. I was blowing after the first 20 mins on day one!!

I googled my instructor he was know as Roger "The Don" Lawrence and he has achieved a lot in his time!..

As a teenager I dabbled in Judo, Karate & Wing Chun, but playing rugby and training as much as I did I never really stuck with them as the rugby took up most of my time, so its really good to be able to dedicate time to learning Tae Kwon Do.

The goal I have set myself is to achieve my Black Belt by the time i'm 40, I turn 36 in January.

Did a light session in the gym today as i'm feeling it today, plenty of stretching and practicing my 10th Kup this weekend :thumb:

http://ma-mags.com/Mags/TKDKM/TKDKM%201999-11%20Cov.jpg

Finsbury Girl
03-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Top stuff Chojin. I'm contemplating going back to practice chow gar tong long or start hung gar after a *cough* 15yr *cough* break - as I also concentrated on playing rugby and cricket.

I'm sick if the gym and I reckon a few months of chy sau will achieve better results (as well as a lot of pain!)

chojin
03-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Hung Gar is a style that I always thought looked fantastic, I imagine it would be a difficult style to learn?

I've not heard of the other style you mention.

This week I did:

Mon: Tae Kwon do
Tues: gym weight circuit
Wed: Tae Kwon do
Thur: a very trimmed down weight circuit as I was struggling.

I'm feeling a bit broken today, think lots of stretching and a sauna is in order..

It's a good feeling though as I know pushing myself will improve my overall fitness, gotta love the DOMS!!

Finsbury Girl
03-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Chow Gar Tong Long is a southern chinese praying mantis style. Very close combat oriented, strong fast upper body, very circular (as most kung fu is in essence) low kicking (not a lot of it). Similar in some respects to some bits of wing chun. I've haven't studied Hung Gar, although I learnt some of the tiger crane form from a mate many moons ago. Used to do a bit f Tai Chi as well and dabble in bits and bobs, escrima, kali, southern kung fu, grappling, had some chinese peeps come over and work through some animal forms (those guys were nutters - strongest chi I've ever seen. Watching them you could see it radiate off them - very powerful internally).

chojin
04-02-2012, 07:57 PM
took my first belt grading "10th Kup" on 20th Jan, haven't been that nervous in a long time!..

passed it easily, got my 9th Kup grading in April hopefully, really into this now, bought a full set of sparring gear and i'm looking to enter competition once i'm at a high enough grade!..

stretching is killing me though, i'm doing it every day, think the splits is still a way off, but i'm getting more flexible for sure :D

k0pp0
22-02-2012, 09:43 PM
If you're doing loads of split stretching ensure you do HUGE amounts of leg strength work - otherwise you'll knacker your knees and hips.

k0pp0
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Bit gutted to see that GM Jae C Shin (Tang Soo Do Grandmaster) passed away recently. Seemed a nice bloke when I met him and his martial art managed to get me out of the pub when I was on a pretty steady routine of boozing every night.

Incidentally he was Chuck Norris's instructor dontchewknow

chojin
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Wee update, passed my 8th Kup grading on Sunday, I actually found it easier than my previous belts, putting it down to my confidence growing and my techniques getting better. One more grading and then the difficulty steps up a gear.

Good luck to Team GB in the Tae Kwon Do starting tomorrow :)

charlesr
22-09-2012, 02:40 PM
My almost 6 year old son wants to do something. His school does Judo and we can get Karate or Kung Fu locally and probably some others (Chichester area). He's into power-rangers so wants to hit stuff, so Judo isn't impressing him. What's the best martial art for little kids to get going with?

chojin
14-11-2012, 04:17 PM
My almost 6 year old son wants to do something. His school does Judo and we can get Karate or Kung Fu locally and probably some others (Chichester area). He's into power-rangers so wants to hit stuff, so Judo isn't impressing him. What's the best martial art for little kids to get going with?

Depends what style of kung-fu it is, karate would be easier for him to get into and he'll learn all the kicks and strikes which if he loves the power rangers, he'll want to do :thumb: my son was exactly the same which is why I took him to Tae Kwon Do..

On the subject of Tae Kwon Do, my son and I passed our latest gradings on Saturday, I'm now a Green Belt 6th Kup and Lucas is a Green Stripe 7th Kup..

Hoping to enter competitions in the new year as I'm a lot more confident with the fighting and feel I wouldn't just blow my top due to frustration and maul my opponent :lol:

charlesr
14-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know what style it is (they told me but I forgot). They train here: http://www.zdlmartialarts.com/

Apparantly the classes for kids are a mix of Kung Fu and kick boxing. It's a really great class, teaching them to move in the style of mantis, crane, monkey etc. and then moving on to kicks (front, side, turning) and punches (basic, hook, uppercut) against pads. I've never seen them so tired. My daughter (4) does it too now.

chojin
14-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Sounds awesome!... If they're enjoying it then thats all that matters, my son can't wait for Tae Kwon Do training, we're just off now for a flogging! :thumb:

Speaking of Mantis.. my pal just sent me this link as we're having a chat about styles..

http://www.youtube.com/embed/L0wRqR9J8WA

k0pp0
20-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Thinking about starting up TKD as there's a class across the road from me. I packed in teaching my club as numbers were low (that's running a relatively unknown martial art in a village for you), but need to keep my hand in. I've also got a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do so all the kicking etc will be familiar. Just need to get off my arse and wander over there.

I do think I'm going to find it very hard going from a full contact style to semi/no contact...

charlesr
20-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I have visions of a room full of floored people like in Kiss of the Dragon or something.

Also, my son (6yrs) is coming along well. In Cotswold camping shop, I turned around to see him doing spinning dragon kick* (or something - I have no idea.) on their coat display.... I told him off while telling him how cool it looked. He got his white sash now :) Classes are a mix of Kung Fu forms and Kickboxing.

Plough Boy
20-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Back in the day (about 1990) I started Kuk Sool Won and got my first degree black belt in 1996. Moved to the NE for uni and gave up as there were no clubs up here and I didn't have any inclination to study another style.
My dad started a year after me, after my instructor persuaded him to join stating that there was no point sitting watching me practise when he may as well join in himself.
This year he will become a 5th degree black belt and Master. I'm actually really proud of him and it only occured to me recently how hardcore he is.

k0pp0
28-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Back in the day (about 1990) I started Kuk Sool Won and got my first degree black belt in 1996. Moved to the NE for uni and gave up as there were no clubs up here and I didn't have any inclination to study another style.
My dad started a year after me, after my instructor persuaded him to join stating that there was no point sitting watching me practise when he may as well join in himself.
This year he will become a 5th degree black belt and Master. I'm actually really proud of him and it only occured to me recently how hardcore he is.

That's great stuff.. Always liked the look of KSW.

k0pp0
28-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Thinking about starting up TKD as there's a class across the road from me. I packed in teaching my club as numbers were low (that's running a relatively unknown martial art in a village for you), but need to keep my hand in. I've also got a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do so all the kicking etc will be familiar. Just need to get off my arse and wander over there.

I do think I'm going to find it very hard going from a full contact style to semi/no contact...

So went along and watched.. Usual thing of a load of kids and couple of adults. The instructor seemed a nice chap, but even the 2nd Dan's seemed way behind the standard of the black belts I used to train with in Tang Soo Do. But after investigating the style a bit more it seems to be very family orientated, so could be a goer. And the instructor seems well interested in cross skilling a bit, so I'll be turning up with my arsenal of ninja weaponry to play with.

k0pp0
28-03-2013, 09:01 PM
I have visions of a room full of floored people like in Kiss of the Dragon or something.

Also, my son (6yrs) is coming along well. In Cotswold camping shop, I turned around to see him doing spinning dragon kick* (or something - I have no idea.) on their coat display.... I told him off while telling him how cool it looked. He got his white sash now :) Classes are a mix of Kung Fu forms and Kickboxing.

Christ that sounds lie me as a kid. Super!

k0pp0
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Attended my first TKD lesson last night.. Sort of enjoyed it, just had to bite my tongue a lot. Lovely group of people though and good atmosphere so will will probably persevere with it.