Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games that that have aged (and those that haven't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games that that have aged (and those that haven't)

I'm going to pick two of each genre for this:

Scrolling beat em up
    +Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (see recent related thread)
    -Golden Axe (horrible jerky controls, repetitive, mutton dressed as lamb)

One on one beat em up
    +Streetfighter 2 (play mechanics still firmly in place 13 years on)
    -Mortal Kombat (the daily mail must have loved this)

Platform
    +Super Mario World (great level design and freedom)
    -Bionic Commando (the enemies move at 100 mph/main sprite doesn't = unfairly hard)

Shoot em up
    +R-type (unforgiving but very intelligent)
    -Xenon 2 (remember the fuss when this came out? unimaginative level design covered by slick metallic graphics)

Sports (football)
    +Swos (simple passing brilliance)
    -Fifa original (players feel like they're moving on ice..have they used the EA hockey code?)

Your choices please

i find that most sports titles that have taken themselves too seriously tend to age quickly, of course 95% of games from the 32 bit era that used 3D look awful and unplayable by todays standards. I recently played starfox on the snes i couldn't believe how badly the game aged, same goes for all the master systen games i played as a child, i guess some things should stay in the past

Comment

[QUOTE=jnm23]
      -Golden Axe (horrible jerky controls, repetitive, mutton dressed as lamb)

Duddy!

Comment

Ill tell yah what, seeing the DS version of Biohazard has really shown me how badly Biohazard has aged, the visuals are ridiculous to nowadays efforts. Criminal even!

A game that still looks great even after all this time is Final Fight! now that is timeless!

Comment

I never liked Golden Ass.

Or even Streets of Rage for that matter, the only redeemable aspect was the music, and the memories of living during the early 90's when Sesame Street used to be good.

I look at even the mighty Final Fight PCB these days and think the sole design purpose of it all was to entice you into inserting "Just ONE MORE 20p!! Please!?" - repetative pap, revolutionary for the time like, and still one of my favourite arcade games ever.

Comment

wipeout 1

Comment

Wipeout 1 what? Aged well or aged badly?

Comment

Badly

Comment

im guessing wipeout aged badly.

Bingo!

Comment

Ah okay. I actually think WO1 aged badly the day WO2097 came out. Although I still think it's great...

Comment

With regard to side-scrolling fighters, it all depends on whether you're playing on your own or with a mate. Even the most crappy, generic, badly-contrived scrolling fighters can be infinitely more fun played with a mate, whether it's taking advantage of the bad computer AI by ganging up on one bloke or just pissing yourselves laughing at how rubbish it all is.
                      Streets of Rage 2 is one of the best examples of the genre, yet it pales a little bit when you're just playing it on your own without anyone even watching.
                      Having said that though, Double Dragon's aged very badly, two-player or not. Why didn't we notice the horrors of the intense slowdown in those days?
                      Originally posted by muse hunter
                      I recently played starfox on the snes i couldn't believe how badly the game aged
                      I may need to have a word with you outside

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo in responce to Starfox
                        I may need to have a word with you outside
                        Guess it's not just me who thinks this still plays really well

Comment

Ghouls & Ghosts, Area 88, Forgotten Worlds, Eco Fighters, and many more of the Capcom non-scrolling fighter arcade games from the 80s & 90s have aged tremendously well. Point Blank and Virtua Cop are still the daddies of lightgun gaming some ten years on or thereabouts. Metal Slug still looks and plays sublimely.

Comment

Garegga still looks as good as the day it was released. Awesome detail, quality sprites, a bit balnd for some but undeniably its unique aeshetic remains.

Comment

I'm gonna have to say that Gunsar Heroes has aged well. If only because there hasn't been a run n gun since that comes even close to matching its brilliance.

Comment

Working...
                              X