Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Gaming skill you will never forget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gaming skill you will never forget!

1993 - Virtua Fighter 2 / Arcade

Went down to my local arcade after a hard days studying (yeah right). I see this japanese guy sitting relaxed on a stool smoking multiple Marlboro cigarettes playing my favourite game of the time - the mighty VF2

The guy was of course playing as Akira I was heavily into VF2 at the time, and I had just started to learn some moves off the internet and apply them to my game.

This guy could pull off *the* greatest and hardest move of all time - the 'Stun palm of doom'...very, very easily to my astonishment. He did it for fun The best thing ive ever seen!

At the start of the bout, he would move backwards to the edge of the playing area. When the computer moved in for attack, he would pull off the Stun Palm of doom effortlessly. My jaw hit the floor Within 3 seconds the computer opponent was cracked out of the ring. I will never, ever, ever forget that guy

The move can be viewed here..

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...802/p1_01.html

1998 - Wireplay Quakeworld / PC

After spending a couple of months playing Quakeworld Free-for-all, I started playing 1 on 1 battles as it was the most exciting thing I ever played in my life Unfortunately, there were a lot of very good players who kicked my ass seriously...

A few months later, I see demos for download of some guy called 'Peter', kicking every single one of the guys that used to annihilate me, without losing a single frag

This Sir, was another jaw dropping moment I will never forget The skill, tactics and sheer cheekyness of this guy - taking out every single 'class' player on Wireplay was so fantastic I will never, ever forget.

Please feel free to share your best loved moments of gaming skill. Moments you will never forget

Much respect, plz!

Comment

I remember a guy in Morecambe who one-credited Nemesis (Gradius) without losing a life. I could only ever get to the end of Level 2.

I could get through MD Super Shinobi without dying once but then again I bet most people could!

Comment

I suppose the famous Double Dragon elbow technique counts although it wasn't really a skill to be learnt and mastered like the moves mentioned in VF2 but it nevertheless made your pocket money last!

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Vipr
          Much respect, plz!
          Here's the Stun Palm of Doom move - try and pull it off, if you dare!!

stun palm of doom - P+K+G, b, df+P+K, b+P

Ultimate respect mate

Comment

THE best feat of gaming skill I have ever seen was only last year in the HEY arcade in Tokyo.

This very unassuming fella sat at an ESPGaluda machine and proceeded to play the game with player 1 and player 2 at the same time. Now dual play has been seen before but never at this level. I always thought ESPGaluda was hard enough anyway but this guy effortlessly glided through the entire game and finished it with both players intact. He'd probably noticed that my jaw had hit the floor as when he walked off when the credits were rolling I could see the glint of a smile.

I just can't look at any superplays of ESPGaluda in the same way again.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage
              THE best feat of gaming skill I have ever seen was only last year in the HEY arcade in Tokyo.

This very unassuming fella sat at an ESPGaluda machine and proceeded to play the game with player 1 and player 2 at the same time. Now dual play has been seen before but never at this level. I always thought ESPGaluda was hard enough anyway but this guy effortlessly glided through the entire game and finished it with both players intact. He'd probably noticed that my jaw had hit the floor as when he walked off when the credits were rolling I could see the glint of a smile.

I just can't look at any superplays of ESPGaluda in the same way again.
              Holy s***
              Remembers me this superplay video where the guy was finishing radiant silvergun playing the two players and never loosing a life

Comment

Oh god there's so many.

1) Playing Fields London circa 1998 iirc

Played Lan Quake 2 against Thresh, words can simply not describe just how ill that guy was. The most accurate pixel perfect sniping I've ever seen ever and he never stopped jinking not even for a second. His left hand just kept pumping those strafe buttons over and over. Simply unbelievable.

2) My mate's VF quick finish Kage technique

Probably nothing to get excited about now, but at the time a mate of mine could finish VF in a couple of minutes using Kage, simply by using the kick-em in the air throw and then jump kick them out of the ring technique. Everytme he saw a VF machine he'd rinse it in this way just to get his name at the top of the board.

3) Speedball 2

An old friend this time who was upsettingly good at Speedball 2. Not only could he defeat Super Nashwan using Revolver (iirc) with standard stats (ie. no training) he'd also developed a technique whereby he could score 80 points with one throw (you had to have the score multiplier maxed out though).

Ah memories

Comment

Mu5, you say you learnt some moves off the internet... in 1993?

Comment

Originally posted by Distant Cousin
                    Mu5, you say you learnt some moves off the internet... in 1993?
                    Yeah mate - the first time I ever used a web browser, I was at Uni and I had to download and compile it under Unix X Windows Aaah, they were the days
                    Last edited by Mu5; 01-02-2006, 19:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                      Oh god there's so many.

1) Playing Fields London circa 1998 iirc

Played Lan Quake 2 against Thresh, words can simply not describe just how ill that guy was. The most accurate pixel perfect sniping I've ever seen ever and he never stopped jinking not even for a second. His left hand just kept pumping those strafe buttons over and over. Simply unbelievable.
                      Respect Sir - you actually played the man himself?

I used to *love* watching Thresh demos. I dont think I have ever respected a gamer more than I did Thresh. I used to worship the ground that dude walked on

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5
                        Respect Sir - you actually played the man himself?

I used to *love* watching Thresh demos. I dont think I have ever respected a gamer more than I did Thresh. I used to worship the ground that dude walked on
                        Yeah well when I say play against it was more like respawn-dead-respawn-dead add infinitum. Unbelievable skill he was taking out everyone in that game over and over and most people myself included barely knew what hit us. Operating on a different level that boy. In terms of skills the only person I'd put even close to him is Saur. That brer is gifted on such a wide range of games you have to sit up and take note when he's playing.

Comment

I was in Trocadero last week:

This guy was AMAZING on 3rd Strike.

I was playing Alpha 3 and noticed something weird to my left...Dudley parried a multiple hit attack (cant remember which) with ease. I thought nothing of it and finished my game. the same guy was still playing and I had a look.

Good God. Parries forever...every hit he connected chained into big combos..

He battered the people stupid enough to challenge.

His rank was MSF (Master Street fighter I think)-I had never seen it before...

Anyway: He was chinese, average height and had a plump face. Was wearing a black jumper and seemed to be a really nice guy-he said bye when i left and told him he was great!

Anybody seen him or know who he is? Is he a user here?!!?

That is my jaw dropper at the mo..

Comment

i was undefeated at mortal kombat 2 in the arcades

Clarence Pier in Portsmouth was the venue for about 18 months

i could 1 credit the game without losing a life and i used shang Tsung

i could morph into every character and carry out every ones fatality and i would make it so i didnt morph into the same character twice near a fatality so through the gamei would showcase a different fatality every time on my way to beating shao khan and kintaro

used to show off

now - i'm mince at it on teh emulators and on retro packs

Comment

We've all seen it a thousand times (probably), but I'll never tire of this piece of skill - click

Comment

Working...
                              X