Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro fans,What modern games/systems do you enjoy?(And what sends you back to retro?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro fans,What modern games/systems do you enjoy?(And what sends you back to retro?)

Good morning all, not sure this is the right place for this thread but i wanted to address this question to the retro heads, so here it is! What modern games/systems do you enjoy? (if any?) and what sends you running back to your retro games?
    I dont buy that many modern games myself although i have a ps2, gamecube and a gba, when i buy new games the tend to be retro in style or spirit. Having said that after playing resident evil 4 and killer 7 on the cube recently ive fallen for the gc in a big way!, my gba ive always considered retro anyway and i never really 'got' the ps2,which is strange as i love my ps1. Modern games i do enjoy though include any WW2 based games (though i lothe fps normally) and most Capcom and Konami games (dont 'get' Devil may cry series though?). Stuff that sends me back to the retro, fps, gta, street racing games and anything with a supposedly 'street attitude'. Intrested to hear your views.
    Last edited by SuperDanX; 01-02-2006, 06:59.

First person shooters mainly. and stealthy shooty games too.

And racing games, not the realisticy ones, the more scifiy fasty ones.

and gtaesc games

Comment

It's weird you don't get DMC cos I consider that to be one of the games that most evokes feelings of retro-ness

Comment

The PS2. It has such a diverse games lineup, with plenty of games in 'classic' genres. I like 3D platformers (however the platfrom cum shooter such as Ratchet & Clank and Jak 2 & 3 have left me cold), RPG's (although this gen they haven't been as good as the last), sports games and the occasional driving game. I often feel that games nowadays have too much padding, too much emphasis on storyline and are overly complex for no real reason. I can't pick out any particular genre to criticise of these points (most are quilty) but often I'll find myself having played a game for an hour and I've hardly achieved anything. It's at times like that I'll usually return to retro to play something more instantaneous.

Comment

the most fun i have is with retro game packs

especially the taito memories/legends series

Comment

These days, the only modern game I put any serious time into is SF3 3rd Strike. With a friend of a similar skill level the game has near infinite replay value. It's puts all other beat 'em ups to shame, not least all the 3D dross of DOA / Tekken / VF etc. I don't think it will ever be bettered unless Capcom pull their finger out of their arse and make a real sequel.

So besides SF3 I only really play Megadrive, Neo Geo, Saturn and Mame. The last modern game I got really involved in was Halo 1, it was superb while it lasted but nothing has really grabbed me since. The new generation of stuff looks really depressing to me so far, the 360 has yet to put forward even one decent looking title.

It'll be retro all the way for me until something really special comes along. Just give me something accessable, linear and above all, pure.

Comment

Gotta agree with SF3 3rd Strike it really is the pinnacle of 2D beat-em ups for me absolutly love it. As far as modern games go i'll play anything and enjoy most but unlike most 19 year olds 2D games are where my heart is.

Although i'll play anything and enjoy having all the latest consoles theres something almost trashy about most games that come out now, thats not to say i dont enjoy them but it just seems 2D is where the playability and joy is at. Thats why my NES sits side by side with my Xbox360, cant beat the original Megaman.

Comment

Shoot-em-ups, time and time again. After a hard day at it... I don't want to have to sit through hours of story-line (although I do enjoy the FF Series). I love the immediacy of a shooter. Your straight in at the business end of the game and half an hours blasting can make the s**tist of days drift away.

To be honest, no games drive me back to retro. If the games on the shelves don't interest me, or are just plain crappy, they don't get brought. Simple as that.

Comment

Apart from Resi 4 and MGS3, most PS2 games I buy are either sequels to retro games (Tekken 5, Soul Caliburs, Gradius V), retro comps like buster says or retro remakes or ports (Slugs, KOFs)

Comment

What drives me back to retro? Can't say I ever left I don't have a 360 because of money and not interested in it, most recent consoles I have are XBox and Gamecube and I do play a lot of Gamecube still. Haven't played any XBox for more than 10 minutes for absolutely ages. My SNES is a regular fixture next to the TV and the MD gets brought out quite often too. My g/f prefers the same sort of games I do, has much more fun with 2D stuff or things with purer mechanics, she doesn't like stuff that's over complicated and often points out what's wrong with a game by picking out exactly the same things that I like. She's currently playing Paper Mario on N64. Better keep this one
                    Might get the 8-bits out later and play some Megaman 2 or Snake Rattle & Roll. Or Wonderboy 3 Dragon's Trap.

And yeh, 2D shooters > 2D fighting games >>>>>> all else, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Hmm... I enjoy both retro and modern games. Lately I've been playing a lot of shmups and fighters. They have that retro touch to them since it's that "old" stuff that never lets you down. I play a lot of RPG's though although I've been on a hiatus lately from them.

What sends me back to retro? The good games? And 2D.

Comment

Funnily enough I never really gotten into retro games (I guess its because im a gfx whore! - and only got into games when my psx hit my lap), although I love the Dreamcast (does it count?).

Anyway, my point is for some odd reason I had an urge to purchase Radient Silvergun and im in awe by it - despite the fact I find it very, very hard! Essentially though I generally play new-ish games, Resi 4 and the original Devil May Cry being my faves

Comment

I've had a PS2, Xbox and a GC and out of the three, I think the GC is easily the best. Xbox was/is great for online play, PS2 just bores me ( I just shudder when I think of it ) whilst the GC always manages to give me that lovely, excited feeling.

I still consider RE4 one of the best games I think I've ever played, let alone Paper Mario 2, Tales of Symphonia etc etc. I also think that Nintendo always manages to hold onto that warm retro feeling no matter how hot and new the hardware is, can't explain it, I think it's the fun factor they put into their stuff, reminds me of being young again.

I also believe that people will look back at the GC in years to come and regard it as a truly fantastic console that unfortunately didn't quite hit the dizzy heights that Nintendo would've really liked...in the same way that folk do nowadays with the DC.

Put my name down for a Revolution please! I cannot wait for that, whilst the 360 and PS3 don't excite me one little bit.
                          Last edited by Q-Bass; 03-02-2006, 18:04.

Comment

It's interesting that killer7 was mentioned because it's a videogame about videogames so naturally it does the 'retro' style of gameplay - a strong form with a focus on one particular play mechanic - very well.

Modern games rarely make me feel 'retro-ey' but killer7 is one that does. Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry carry the torch for old-skool style action gaming as far as I'm concerned and Viewtiful Joe definetely does, although you could argue it is, for all intents and purposes, a 'retro' throwback game. No matter; I have an unhealthy love for that game and will hear nothing said against it.

I also really love the GBA. The GBA allows you to enjoy all the old-skool goodness you need without getting stuck in the past. It's just a shame that so many publishers see it as a get-rich-off-the-kiddy-buck dumping ground for substandard and derivative ****e with a cartoon licence slapped on it. Like the GameCube it's a great format that's overlooked far too often.

Comment

Couldn't agree more about Ninja Gaiden, I bloody loved that, once I completed it my Xbox never really got much use so I decided to flog it, never regretted it once and to be honest, I really cannot see me buying a then 'retro' Xbox in 10 years time but a GC, I definately would...if I happened to sell my current one that is.

I own about 15 GC games at the moment ( RE0 being my latest hobby ) but they're nearly all killer, certainly no filler and I reckon there are about 20 more 'must have, absolute essentials' that I've yet to experience and all at fairly decent prices...that excites me greatly.

Comment

Working...
                              X