Projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projectors

Last night i was offered a brand new still in its box NEC LT154, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this projector.........

It is going for a "CRAZY" price..........

Never used it myself, but a quick google suggests that its heavily billed as a presentation projector. Normally this means its not that hot for use as a DVD player, though. Its 4x3 at 1024x768, and I see no mention of being prepped to accept and deal with an anamorphic signal, so if you are using it for DVDs then I'd heavily advise getting set up for HTPC or you'll be missing a lot.

What are you using it for?

Comment

HTPC?????? sorry i must be stupid.....

Just general use, DVD's Pc.....

Comment

oops, sorry; I was in Home Theater Forum mode.

HTPC= Home Theatre Personal Computer. Basically, with a projector that isn't designed to cope with anamorphic discs (which may not be the case here; I don't know the projector that well), you're losing 25% of the vertical resolution on most widescreen DVDs as you have to get the player to downsample the picture, and then the projector to upsample it again.

As this projector is primarily designed for being connected to a PC rather than acting as part of a home cinema, to get the best picture quality you'd be much better off using a good software player and connecting the PC to the projector through VGA than using a 'normal' player and an S-Video connection (very few projectors have Scart connectors for RGB, and lots of UK players don't do component). No loss of resolution, a generally better conversion up to 1024x768 than the projector itself would do, and progressive scan to boot. Of course, you'd also need a soundcard with a digital out if you have a surround system, but the experts generally agree this is the way to go for the absolute best results.

next step: reducing the amount of noise your machine makes...

Comment

Cheers.....
          I already run my PC through my AV Amp And TV so for dvd's i already us the pc, so the VGA to the projector is not a problem.
          I do also run all my consoles using scart...... maybe i need to think about connecting them all to my pc as well......i'll have a think about the best course of action.....

Regarding the projector i have seen it advertised for well over ?2000
          so i think i'll be buying it, as he only wants ?300 for the thing.......

what a sucker........

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
            Cheers.....
            I already run my PC through my AV Amp And TV so for dvd's i already us the pc, so the VGA to the projector is not a problem.
            I do also run all my consoles using scart...... maybe i need to think about connecting them all to my pc as well......i'll have a think about the best course of action.....

Regarding the projector i have seen it advertised for well over ?2000
            so i think i'll be buying it, as he only wants ?300 for the thing.......

what a sucker........
            For 300 quid its probably a deal but beware about the bulb life, these things are expensive to replace and they run out check how many hours it has on the bulb, there is usually a menu option for this.

Also as its a PC project its most likely going to suck for games and DVD's

Neil.

Comment

i can order the bulbs from work at trade, so i will be saving a bit there..... and concidering the price ... i think i can afford a few bulbs.....

i agree though on the quality of consoles....

Comment

Working...
              X