Retrofusion Magazine and Gamestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofusion Magazine and Gamestation

I am extremely pleased to announce that I have secured a deal with Gamestation to deploy 3 issues of the Retro Fusion magazine into their stores throughout the UK over the next 6 months.

After the first 3 issues we will review the current terms and conditions and hopefully decide to go forward with Issue 4 onwards....

I am looking to get Issue 1 out in early March and will cost ?3.50.

www.retrofusion.co.uk

Ooh, looks like one I'll have to try

Anything on a Dreamcast or N64 article?

Comment

Hmmm......
      Sonic history article - check, Streetfighter evolution - check, Dizzy retrospective - check.

Don't get me wrong it's always nice to see retro based articles/magazines but hasn't this stuff been covered elsewhere very recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
        Hmmm......
        Sonic history article - check, Streetfighter evolution - check, Dizzy retrospective - check.

Don't get me wrong it's always nice to see retro based articles/magazines but hasn't this stuff been covered elsewhere very recently?
        The Dizzy article has been written by Andrew Oliver himself - so a bit of a different spin on things.

We are planning to have an article written by Jon Hare himself on Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll - thereafter he will have a regular column.

The Retro Remakes roundup is being done by one of the moderators in the www.remakes.org community.

We also have Archer Maclean on board to write about arcade cabinets and their restoration.

Plus a number of articles you would not see in any other Retro mag at this time.

Please give it a chance 8)

Comment

Ok, if you have big articles on Dreamcast and N64!

Comment

Dizzy again?

What is it with Dizzy? I have never known anyone that has ever mentioned the series, but Retro mags can't get enough of it. I know many people feel they are pretty decent games, but it's a bit ridiculous how much coverage they get.

I guess Retro mags can never really please and satisfy devoted passionate retro fans. If I wrote a retro mag it would be far different to any other, and would cover games and systems that I feel passionate about.

I often feel Retro mags and sites play it safe too much. It's like they are pandering to the casual market by overly covering the games and machines they feel the majority of people have fond memories off. Sadly for me I seem to have had a completely different and more diverse gaming life, which means I seldom get the articles and features I crave!

It's probably just my problem as an individual though. I would like to see more of games like Cobra Triangle, Crying, and Plok. Whereas most people are probably satisfied to read the Sonic history and Jet Set Willy features again and again.

The best thing about Retro mags is when I learn something. Sadly most of the time I feel the magazines aren't in-depth or adventurous enough.

I will be buying this new publication though, because it's only right to give it a chance!

Cheers!
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-02-2006, 09:41.

Comment

^ your most probably right there

i don't see why every retro mag has to dedicate itself to the 8 bit computers, especially when they are ****e and boring as hell. I hope we get a retro mag one day which is dedicated to the home consoles and far eastern gaming. A proper retro mag. Because i swear if i see another C64 v speccy articale anywhere i will track down the machines and shove tham up the 'poor excuse for a retro mag' editor's arse.

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                I hope we get a retro mag one day which is dedicated to the home consoles and far eastern gaming.
                Move to France

It's all about what the market demands, and what the market can support. In the UK, we are the minority Muse, at least we are currently. Hence why the coverage is aimed more at other retro interests.

If I had my way, 8-bit micros would be banned, and the entire thing would only cover Japan. Hell, I'd ship the writers over in a small box and force them to live and write it whilst living there.

Comment

Dizzy - it sucked then, it still sucks now. And jet Set Willy - **** me nary have I played such an unrewarding, unresponsive pile of crap. Fire Ant was good though.

Good news on the mag though. With the next gen consoles looking boring as hell FPS dominated posh dvd players, retro is all we really need.

Comment

How could something be a 'proper retro mag' if it only covered one specific aspect of retro gaming?

Surely a 'proper retro mag' should could cover all aspects?

Too many people here seem to think that just because they have a certain set of wants/desires of retro needs that they are the only ones who should be catered for and anything that dares to cover something else is wrong.

Adn this isn't because I am an 8-bit micro lover. I had a Spectrum+3 as my first computer for all of 3 months before moving onto the Atari ST so I have no particular fondness of anything 8-bit. I'm just not arrogant enough to assume my desires are all that should be catered for.

Comment

yes, but seeing as 8 bit computer lovers already have retrogamer which is basically just 8 bit computers with everything else being an after thought. It is not wrong to thus want a retro mag dedicated to the eastern home consoles and arcade scene.

Szczepaniak- stop taunting me your making me jealous, i love france, the food, the weather, and the women are just so much better than what we have here, and i love that french accent, i find myself attracted to even average looking french women because of that damn accent, i just can't get enough of it. And yes retro gamer looks like a fine mag, unfortunatley i can't read french, one day i'll learn and i'll move away from this **** hole called Britian to the country where all my dreams are possible.

Comment

Oh C', I was just teasing. I prefer balance to things, shouting my corner loudly balances it out against other people shouting their corner loudly. Relax man.

Also, I hate to shatter anyone's illusions, but having lived in 4 (or is it 5?) different countries, there is no actual paradise. Every country has its own ups and downs. Trust me, coming from England you'd get rather annoyed when you realise everything closes at lunch time in France, for 2 hours! Also, living somehwere and vacationing there are totally different things.... OMG, I'm going way off topic, quick, everyone back tot he discussion at hand!

Comment

As people may know, I'm only interested in talking about retro games that stand the test of time. There are tons and tons of old games, but imo only a small percentage of them are worth playing and talking about!

Any magazine that decided to focus on the A and AAA grade games would have enough titles to last many many issues. I really hate seeing features on titles that haven't stood the test of time, and are only given space because of nostalgia( something I dislike, and find pointless if the title is now crap )

Part of retro is about personal nostalgia, but why don't people just be honest and take off their rose-tinted-specs when it comes to talking about a lot of old games that were once favourites.

I have often played old games that I remember enjoying as a kid, only to find they have all the playability of toy soldiers. My conclusion is simply as kids we use our imaginations, and this is why even the poorest games seemed to have some value back in our childhoods.

Retro is aimed at adults, so let's stop behaving like big-babies and move away from the hollow nostalgia which will ultimately give old videogames a bad name. If we celebrate those titles that are inspiring and brilliant, retro gaming will thrive and grow!

edit: Look at Smash TV on Live Arcade. I have always liked it, and even now it's what I consider a worthy experience. Looks like a lot of people agree. I have spoken to a lot of people that haven't played it before that tell me they really like it ( even younger teens ) The game is definitely an example of the sort of titles we should put first and celebrate on the retro scene!
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-02-2006, 15:03.

Comment

Working...
                          X