Grind Stormer/V Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grind Stormer/V Five

Just got this for MD, US version in minty condition for $13, waiting for it to arrive but was messing about with it on emulator earlier.
    As far as I can tell, Grind Stormer is the US version and V Five is the Japanese one, but on the MD conversion you can choose between either one in the options menu, which is lovely coz they're essentially two different ways to play the game.
    In Grind Stormer mode you get power-ups predetermined at whichever point of the level you're in and also have a smart bomb button.
    In V Five mode the power-up system is like Gradius and you have to put up with bull**** like using speed-up options.
    You get given 2 options from the start that expand or contract depending how you move when you let go of fire. If you contract them all the way they turn into a big laser death cock, which is always nice.
    Anyone else enjoy this game?

I think this was Toaplan's very last game. I thought it was impressive for a MD game and pretty playable too although the music is really insipid which is shame as Toaplan games usually have great scores. The colours are seriously gaudy too.

I think the difference between VV and Grindstormer is not one of region just with the power up system as you mentioned, but they're basically the same game.

Comment

This was Toaplan's last MD game...but it's wasn't their 'final' game as Batsugun game after this. I may be wrong but that is usually seen as Toaplan's swansong.

Oh, and $13? Is the US version always that cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
        This was Toaplan's last MD game...but it's wasn't their 'final' game as Batsugun game after this. I may be wrong but that is usually seen as Toaplan's swansong.

Oh, and $13? Is the US version always that cheap?
        yeh you're right, I forgot about good old Batsugun.

The US version is generally pretty cheap, it's the Jap one that's alot more expensive.

Comment

Have to say that I still enjoy playing V.V

Not the most complex of shooters but still a good 'un in my opinion.

Comment

I've thought about getting te Japanese one many times but it's 3500yen !! Bit much I think when other great shooters like Thunder Force 4 and Steel errr, what's it called? Go for less.

Yakumo

Comment

and Steel errr, what's it called?
              Steel Empire? Fantastic game...the PAL version can be gotten for under a quid most of the time!

Although I foolishly paid ?35 for the Japanese version...the boxart is so damn nice...

Comment

Never played the game but the screen shots i saw (i think it was in mean machines)
                impressed me

Comment

I have this, neat little shooter. designs and later stages are very cave, (even more so than batsugun, imo) its almost like dodonpachi light or something, really nice. the music is crap as mentioned though, shame about that.

Comment

V-Five, techinically, is the Japanese version where Grind Stormer is the non-Japanese version. This is how it was on the arcade releases and hence why both are selectable from the in-game menu. The default changes depending on what territory your Megadrive is also.
                    Personally, I'm not a fan of Gradius-alike power-up systems. I find that they often ruin a perfectly good shmup by forcing you to get a couple of speed-ups before you can do anything else, which sucks.

Oh and Steel Empire is ****. I got it for ?1 in CEX a few years ago. 1CCd it the first time I properly tried to. It's easy as anything. Far too many 1Ups and safe spots. And iirc features a grand total of about 4 colours

Comment

Spent many a time playing the game , both on the MD and the arcade.The graphics dont stand out immediately but once you get into the game it's magic.

Comment

ExpertKing does the arcade V Five have an option to change to Grind Stormer, or was that definitely just a Megadrive bonus?

Comment

Oh now you're asking , to be honest the only siwtches I set were for freeplay.
                          Sorry, ......(^^*)

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                            V-Five, techinically, is the Japanese version where Grind Stormer is the non-Japanese version. This is how it was on the arcade releases and hence why both are selectable from the in-game menu. The default changes depending on what territory your Megadrive is also.
                            Personally, I'm not a fan of Gradius-alike power-up systems. I find that they often ruin a perfectly good shmup by forcing you to get a couple of speed-ups before you can do anything else, which sucks.

Oh and Steel Empire is ****. I got it for ?1 in CEX a few years ago. 1CCd it the first time I properly tried to. It's easy as anything. Far too many 1Ups and safe spots. And iirc features a grand total of about 4 colours
                            Grind Stormer is a decent game, better than Steel Empire imo. SE is very similar to ' Prehistoric Isle 1&2 ' but much less vibrant and fun. The game is quite drab, but the visuals are at least interesting, and the music is pretty nice. It is an easy game, but I hate rock-hard shooters anyway.

Comment

The visuals are interesting on Steel Empire, but there are umpteen games that use steam-era graphics and it seems like they didn't make much effort to make SE's graphics look good. 4 colours may have been a bit harsh but I reckon that's a close guess For horizontal shmupping with that sort of theme, you can't go far wrong with Progear, imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X