Music that defined an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music that defined an era

This afternoon I was feeling fairly crappy so decided that all I needed to pick me was to listen to the classic all American GIJoe'ness of Guile's stage from the classic Streetfighter 2 games.

It's a piece of music I'll always associate with my teens while reallly getting into console gaming and the big arcade buzz around the time of the early 90's probably more so than other due to an intense summer in 1992 of playing the game solid with my brother and friends and wasting numerous quarters on the Championship Edition in the arcade whenever I could find it.

I guess with the setup of the game and it's popularity it was probably natural for this game to produce more powerful feelings than other titles around this time however Guile's stage definitley had something over all it's rival's perhaps it's gun ho 80's style vibe that pushed you to take on those Sonic Booms and Flashkicks with even greater disregard for your own saftey than usual. Although special mention must go to Ken & Sagat's stages as well.

It seems there have been several remixes over the years like this one...

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/Street_Fighter_2_Guile(R.A.H.mix)_OC_ReMix.mp3

with all the classic bits stil there juiced up with some other bells and whistles that are quite enjoyable.

So I guess I'd like to hear about other people's choices of music from gaming yesteryear that seemed to bypass the march of time and remain with them even today.

Or I suppose this could also morph into a large scale discussion & dissection on all the different music produced from the mountain of Streetfighter games over the ages.

Either way I'd be quite happy.

When it comes to SF2, the Ryu stage tune is the one that sticks in my mind, and always gets me back in the SF mood when I play the game.

Music that cheers-me-up and brings back great memories are the F-Zero tunes. The first stage in particular really brings that ' warm glow ' over me!

Comment

If youve not heard the Yuji Toriyama version of Guiles theme, you are really missing out, pm me I have it for the send, more so the whole album is excellent, granted some aren't up to par, tho another great is Cammy stage at least.

Sonic 2nd stage, infact Sonic 2 atomic too....best.

Best for me....Super/Revenge of the ninja one, first stage and terrible beat boss.

Argue about that and you lose lives.

Comment

cammys stage in super streetfighter 2

Yuzo koshiro stuff who did tunes for the streets of rage and revenge of shinobi.Think one of the very few games composers i know by name.

Also a lot of snes stuff seem to stick in my mind i just liked the sound.Like with zelda

Comment

Man how could I forget the music to Download for PC Engine

One of the best games ever for music alone, from power on to finnish.

Comment

It's got to be the level one theme off Nemesis/Gradius for me. Not my fave gaming tune of all time but the first truly memorable arcade tune I heard as a nipper. Paperboy, as well. Also, there was an arcade in Morecambe that used to play 'Rydeen' by Yellow Magic Orchestra all the time - that's another tune I always associate with arcades as a youth..

Comment

Outrun

I remember C+VG giving away a tape of this soundtrack which I'm sure was played on many a car stereo

Comment

Earthbound's character naming screen (called NewGame.spc in the SPC collection) can't fail to put you in a good mood. In fact, the vast majority of Earthbound's music is simply fantastic. The Onett theme, Hospital, Drug Store and some of the battle themes are ace. I wish all arcades still sounded like the one in Earthbound
                The first ending theme is also a great variation on the Earthbound theme.
                Best RPG ever made, IMO.

F-Zero's Big Blue and Mute City are always fantastic, whatever form they take.

Also, don't forget that you can get a Winamp plugin called 64th note and a fair amount of N64 audio rips now too, which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by jnm23
                  Outrun

I remember C+VG giving away a tape of this soundtrack which I'm sure was played on many a car stereo
                  And if I remember correctly this cassette was black with blue font and had 720 Degrees soundtrack on other side

My fave classic SF2 tunes are:

Dhalsim, Guile, Zangief, Chunners, Ryu and Ken.... oh and Sagat's is boss too.... oh what the hell... the whole soundtrack is bloody classic.

Comment

720 - good call
                    i think the 8 bit tape versions came with the soundtrack as well.

quite a good conversion too

Comment

Skate or DIEEEEEE!!! - Great tune

Apidya had some of my fave tunes and the intro tune to Thunderforce IV is legendary.

Comment

Gunstar Heroes - Gunstar Planet, Level 5, boss themes. All good. But BKII is the cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
                          Skate or DIEEEEEE!!! - Great tune
                          Best listened to with SIDplay because some of the original masterings and most of the pirate cracks had the music playing too slow for some reason.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
                            Apidya had some of my fave tunes
                            Insect-themed shmup on the Amiga, yeah? Man, that brings back some memories... loved that game. I was crap at it, though.

Comment

First time I heard the first stage of Bare Knuckle on the MD I was like "yeah, pump up the frickin Jam, pump it up now pump it!". Like whatever.. talk to the hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X