• Show
Clear All

Spanky's Quest ( SNES )

SPANKY'S QUEST

Developer: Natsume

Released: 1991

Format: Super Famicom/Nintendo

Japanese Name: Hansei Zaru Jiro Kun No DaiBouKen

Back in 91/92 the Super Famicom/Nintendo was receiving waves of great games, and amongst the big-hitters there were quite a few titles that slipped under most peoples radar. Spanky's Quest is one of those forgotten gems.

You control Spanky the Monkey, who must negotiate each stage using his bubble blowing ability to dispose of the baddies, and collect keys to open the door located somewhere on the stage.

Spanky's bubble-blowing is the main component of the game. He first blows a small bubble, but by head-butting it, the bubble enlarges and changes colour. There are four types of bubble, each bigger than the last. Small bubbles can take-out a loan enemy, but for a group you will need to build the biggest orange bubble. Some baddies carry keys, which you must collect. When you have the key/s, you can exit the stage through the door.

Graphics: The main character is charming ( who doesn't like cute Monkeys? ) he has some nice animation, and also some funny facial expressions ( especially the look of shock when he gets hit! ) The levels are colourful and sharp, with a clean functional look, that really works. Each level has it's own theme, and while at times they can seem a bit repetitive, the graphics on the whole are top class!

Sound: Every good platformer needs catchy tunes, and Spanky's doesn't let the side down. The tunes are in jazzy electronica style, and very hummable. The actual tunes don't change through the stages, but each level has its own, and all add to the experience. The sound-effects are very effective, and really boost the atmosphere.

Gameplay: The game plays like a classic arcade platformer you would get from the likes of Taito. Think Rodland, Snow Bros, Rainbow Islands etc... It has an effective and addictive gameplay mechanic that is a joy to play. The game starts off pretty easy, but as with any good game the difficulty-curve is well balanced.

Overall: Personally this is one of my favourite snes games. All the components work together to make an addictive joyful experience that always brings a smile to the face!

Score: 8/10

Comparing Versions:
    The American version has a different title screen, which looks a bit cheesy imo. The Japanese version starts with training levels, which the American version doesn't have. Probably the main difference is the lack of intro-sequence on the Japanese version. The American version has an intro giving a small insight into the story.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-02-2006, 04:54.

Nice write up, good job! Haven't played this, but this topic brought it to my attention.
    I like the "comparing versions" section too. ^_^
    Nice job pushing the NTSC slant.

I think the retro folder could do with more personal essays like this. It's always interesting, especially if it's a more unusual title.

EDIT:
    I'd just like to say, games like this are one of the reasons I really like retro. Today it's all gangster and rap "star" games, too grey, not enough blue skies, just dreary. Whereas it certainly seems like back in the day, a game starring a cheeky monkey who blew bubbles was a perfectly viable and marketable concept. I mean, it even got a Western release! Somewhere along the way, the market changed...
    Last edited by Sketcz; 27-02-2006, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
      Nice write up, good job! Haven't played this, but this topic brought it to my attention.

I think the retro folder could do with more personal essays like this. It's always interesting, especially if it's a more unusual title.

EDIT:
      I'd just like to say, games like this are one of the reasons I really like retro. Today it's all gangster and rap "star" games, too grey, not enough blue skies, just dreary. Whereas it certainly seems like back in the day, a game starring a cheeky monkey who blew bubbles was a perfectly viable and marketable concept. I mean, it even got a Western release! Somewhere along the way, the market changed...
      I blame Mortal Kombat....but yeah, good write-up for what looks like a fun game.

Comment

The name makes me giggle and then you look at the title and that makes me giggle also I might have to invest.

As usual kingston lj you're a fountain of Snes retro goodness

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak

EDIT:
          Games like this are also the reason I enjoy the Retro Scene so much. Spanky's is a product of it's time. The late 80's early 90's was the golden-age of 2D. Developers had been evolving the style, and more powerful hardware enabled them to make games that not only moved well, but played and looked excellent too. Just look at Taito, Sega, Nintendo etc... These companies reveled in their abilities to create infinitely playable glorious 2D masterpieces.

This is what retro should be all about; enjoying titles that are not only great examples of their time, but also games that stand the test of time ( probably for ever more! )

The problem with retro can be a tendency to be overly nostalgic. We have all gone back to games we once found interesting, only to have our rose-tinted-glasses cracked upon realisation the game is now unplayable. It's this fixation on old-memories, and in many cases poor games, that puts the more casual gamers off exploring the Retro-Scene. There is a place and context for old relic like titles, but imo the emphasis should be on true classics that stand the test of time.

I agree that the industry has become fixated on reality. Most games have to be ' cool ' or ' hard ' . The gaming scene is flooded with dull joyless titles that lack passion and identity.

We still receive quite a few colourful, exuberant titles though. Super Monkey Ball is a superb joyous title ( Monkeys and Balls.. where have we seen that before? ) You have Katamari Damacy, which is full of character and colour. Viewtiful Joe, Outrun2, Jet Set Radio etc... There may not be waves of games like this, but at least we don't go hungry.

Personally, I consider myself a well-rounded gamer. I often play PGR3, ProEvo5, COD2 etc... but I always enjoy going back to older titles and discovering new 2D titles. Last week I completed WaveRace64 a few times, played quite a few Capcom scrolling fighters, had a few goes on PSP Exit, and rediscovered my love for a little Monkey called Spanky!

Thanks for the positive comments John. If I have the time, I will hopefully be presenting other long lost gems!

Cheers!
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-02-2006, 08:05.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerj
            The name makes me giggle and then you look at the title and that makes me giggle also I might have to invest.

As usual kingston lj you're a fountain of Snes retro goodness
            Spanky the Monkey You have to laugh!

I had a look on Ebay, and could only see a couple of copies( both in America! )

There was a Gameboy version as well, but I can't find any shots, and I have no idea if it's any good!

Comment

I have the Gameboy version, and whilst it is a lot simpler graphically, the gameplay is a right laugh if a tad slow and jerky. If you want a game like this on the GB though, I can recommend the near arcade perfect port of Rodland, which is among the finest coin-op conversions of all time IMO. Everything about it is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
                I have the Gameboy version, and whilst it is a lot simpler graphically, the gameplay is a right laugh if a tad slow and jerky. If you want a game like this on the GB though, I can recommend the near arcade perfect port of Rodland, which is among the finest coin-op conversions of all time IMO. Everything about it is spot on.
                Thanks for the low-down. I might buy a copy, but it's a shame it's not available for the GBA. Rodland is a game I used to play on the Amiga, it's good to know the GB version is top quality.

All this talk has really stirred my hunger for more of these types of games. I think a good session of Snow Bros is on the menu!

Comment

Yeah the GB Rodland is astonishingly goog. Only criticism is that it is a bit easy, because the bit where you can gather the "EXTRA" letters is a tad too long; in the arcade you get just a few seconds, whereas on the GB it is possible to get the five letters on pretty much every stage.

Nightmare In The Dark is another classic one screen platformer, as is Don Doko Don.

Comment

Nice read kingston lj. I agree with John's comments about blue skies etc. I suppose that's why I like colourful games like Klonoa & the Hamtaro games. And I also pre-ordered Super Princess Peach for the DS because of it's pinkness.

Comment

Originally posted by The Glider
                      Nice read kingston lj. I agree with John's comments about blue skies etc. I suppose that's why I like colourful games like Klonoa & the Hamtaro games. And I also pre-ordered Super Princess Peach for the DS because of it's pinkness.
                      Now that is seriously pink ( blue skies too! )
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-03-2006, 01:42.

Comment

Working...
                      X