International Track & Field - PS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Track & Field - PS1

Aah, I don't think this gem has been beaten yet. Me, my bro, my dad, and friends used to get really fricken competitive with this legendry game.

Back in the day, we used to bash the speccy keys to Hyper Sports and Daley Thompson's Decathlon... then over 10 years later this dropped on PS1. I remember the coverage CVG mag gave it. They were hyped... as was I.

The two button bashing thankfully remained, as did the hold for angle and release button, but now there was an added element of technique in the bashing. Players started to fashion new interesting techniques that would propel their athlete one lap ahead of button bashing Barry. There was rubbing (with the help of a sock/t-shirt), rocking, flicking and god knows how many more.

One time my Dad entered mine and my brother's room while we had our controllers under our t-shirts, using the material to get a good slippy rub between the buttons.... this scene confused my dad, then worried him..and then he left the room without saying anything. "No! it's not what it looks like"

Anyway, it will be the 10 year anniversary of the PSone release sometime this year (24 years for Hyper Sports). I hope one day there will be a new release which just upgrades the look of this classic and adds new events. I played the newer ones in the past, but they just didn't feel the same.

What technique did you use?

Great game.
    I used the old t-shirt over the thumb and rub furiously method.

Comment

A PS1 Classic, no doubt.

"Who will be number one in the world?"

Comment

Fools!

This game was spectacular, but there's only one way to hold the controller. Right hand as normal, thumb hovering slightly over O. Now put the contoller lead between the ring and middle finger of the left hand and grab the middle of the pad, so that your left thumb is hovering over []. Now waggle that pad like a muddy-funster and use R1 with right hand index finger for jump etc.

Three if us used to play the game obsessively, i'd need to check for exact records but sub-7 second 100 metres was easily doable.

Comment

I used to use a Lighter to rub across the pad in Single player, we all played fair in multi-player though.

I also like games of the similar-ilk, like Summer Olympics Atlanta 96' on SNES and MD as well as IT&F on the N64.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse

"Who will be number one in the world?"
            That sample makes my hairs on my neck stand up. Class.

Comment

A lighter all the way.

Comment

I used to use a clipper lighter, it was by far the best tecnique.

Comment

two thumbs and vibrated my hands.

I think its the same as babs.

Comment

two thumbs and vibrated my hands.
                    I think I do it the same way. The pad basically bounces off my two thumbs repeatedly, resulting in some incredibly fast races.

Comment

Originally posted by babs
                      Fools!

This game was spectacular, but there's only one way to hold the controller. Right hand as normal, thumb hovering slightly over O. Now put the contoller lead between the ring and middle finger of the left hand and grab the middle of the pad, so that your left thumb is hovering over []. Now waggle that pad like a muddy-funster and use R1 with right hand index finger for jump etc.

Three if us used to play the game obsessively, i'd need to check for exact records but sub-7 second 100 metres was easily doable.
                      I always use that technique with the dc version and I'm rarely beat!!

Comment

the javeline stage was my fave, ive forgot my record though. the n64 and ps2 sequels are decent too. dreamcast one was awful.

Comment

I used a sock and also grabbed the pad similar way to babs, twas the only way.

I once threw the javalin off the grass, 106m something, having always just got round the 95m mark, I was at my mates house and we had no mem card. I made him leave the PSX turned on and he wasn't allowed to touch anything, I got the train back to mine picked up the mem card, got the train back to his and managed to save it, took about 2 hours but I think I still have it on there.

Did anyone ever get a 77.77 type score, couldn't you hit a UFO with the javelin if you did? I think I got the balloons on the long jump once, such a nice touch.

Comment

There was a mole in the triple jump pit too IIRC.

Forgot to say, Sure I say the t-rex on the javelin too.
                            Last edited by babs; 09-03-2006, 11:07.

Comment

aaah, I'm gonna get this again. eBay..

Comment

Working...
                              X