What is your favourite Sega console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favourite Sega console?

There were many of them. So what is your favorite one?

They're all good, but if I had to choose one...

Comment

Going to have to be really predictable and say the Dreamcast. I missed out on the Saturn (and much to my delight discovered many of its classics after the DC era ended) so this was my first Sega console, and my first real taste of them as a developer.

I know, I shamefully arrived late.

The whole vibe and buzz around the DC and its community from mid '99 to late '01 was immense. One of those magical periods of gaming that I'm ever likely to experience.

From Soul Calibur to Shenmue (imported) to PSO to Crazy Taxi to Powerstone to Jet Set Radio to Code Veronica to MSR to Virtua Tennis to Samba... there were so many fresh, brilliantly made games to gorge on in that two, two and half year spell. It felt that there was a whole community that really wanted (along with Sega themselves) good games and imaginative, healthy development practices to win out. Maybe it's nostalgia and naivety, but the online thing... the people I knew who were into the DC... it was just very, very feel good.

Afterwards, I went back and properly discovered NiGHTS, Zwei, Burning Rangers, Saga, Silvergun etc. etc. and found a whole host of amazing games I missed out on.

Shenmue and Panzer Dragoon Saga define the DC and Saturn respectively for me. Unoriginal, but they're regarded highly for good reason.

Comment

Definitely the MD for me. Streets of Rage+Sonic=

Comment

without a shadow of a doubt the SEGA MEGA DRIVE

Comment

I'd say Megadrive because I have loads of Japanese games for it and it's got Super Shinobi. But the Dreamcast is still the shiznit, so that's a very close second.
            I never did the Saturn import thing and I'm sorry I missed it as most I remember from my PAL Saturn were less impressive versions of PS1 games and some ace 2D fighters.

Comment

MD for me too.

Comment

The saturn.

-coolest design
                -Best games
                -most fun to collect for
                -greatest audio cd player

Comment

Out of SS, DC & MD, the Mega Drive comes a distant 3rd for me since I never experienced it properly back in the day when it was an active system. I did have one, but it was only for a few months and I didn't have many of the classics for it, bar Sonic and a couple of others.
                  Making up for it now though with the Japanese machine I got last year. Great system for 2D action.

Different story with the Saturn and Dreamcast though as I bought both at launch and have never been without them. As everyone knows, both are great, but the Saturn was extra special since it was my first real taste of what SEGA was all about and my first console that was capable of displaying reasonable 3D graphics.
                  Plus, I feel the AM divisions were at the top of their game back then and the games were slightly better. Never owned a Master System, or even played on one.

Comment

Dreamcast. For me, the quality of the software was/is simply astounding and un-matched by any other SEGA console.

And when SEGA "created" the numerous in-house development teams, it was a move that spawed many excellent and immensely creative games.

Comment

The Saturn. Add in RSG & it's bliss.

Comment

The buzz around the Mega Drive when it was new was incredible. While there were absolutely stonking games still coming out on the NES at the time the Mega Drive had graphics to die for. It was the last big 2D wow, such a step up from the likes of the Master System and the home computers like the C64.

It's hard to appreciate now how important arcade ports were. I split my play time between home and the local arcade. I spend hours and hours in the arcade. Money was limited so you spend 1/4 of the time playing and 3/4rs of the time waiting around and hoping someone else had money so you could watch!

Just think having near perfect home conversions of Ghouls N' Ghosts, Golden Axe and more suble reworkings like Moonwalker and E-Swat.. at home where you could practice them over and over. Sheer bliss.

I loved getting home from school and playing through the whole of Revenge of Shinobi, WB3: Monster Lair and Strider in one sitting. Maybe took two and a half hours max. You'd just play through them over and over. Like you listen to a favourite music CD.

Now games are 10 hours long, not 45minutes long. Replayablity has gone out the window. All filler no killer. I can't think of many 10 hour movies or music albums that I'd enjoy twice. It's insanity.

Ah, to think pick up and play gameplay mattered once. Arcade gameplay was something to aspire to. Now it's all about "value".

Comment

I feel the same way, Molloy. Megadrive in my eyes is not just the best console of its genertion but the best console there is.

****loads 2D Platformers and adventures all with lush graphics that haven't atall dated, lovely controller that allways makes me feel that i'm in control and dosent hurt my hand atll and cheap prices with ****ing cases to boot ^_^

After that I'd say probally Dreamcast, but if it wasnt for crazy tazi Id probally say the master system

Saturn is console I'm really just not that keen on, I like fighters and shooters enough, its just that so damn expensive. Are there even any shooters that go for under ?20? :/

Still has quite a few decent games though, like Clockwork Orange and House of the Dead 1

Comment

It's got to be the Sega Saturn ! The console that brought so much in such little time Not to mention probably the first console to really have limited editions of the hardware. We all know that the Dreamcast really wins there though. Hy Hi-Saturn with Karaoke box is the pride of my collection. (saturn wise)

Yakumo

Comment

For me it's the Sega Saturn!!

Comment

Working...
                              X