Energy bars in shooters = bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy bars in shooters = bad

Anyone else think that these are a really bad idea?
    Normally in a shoot em up you know that when you get hit you will die. This creates a tension.
    In shoot em ups where you have an energy bar what you notice is your energy bar being gradually eroded. The problem is that it's not always obvious where you lose the energy, so you end up feeling "cheated"

Examples I've played recently: Mercs and 194x series.

I think it works well in Area 88 - I understand your point about tension, but when your bar is flashing red & the warning siren is sounding, your trousers begin to fill quite rapidly.

Comment

I feel the concept is flawed, as it means that game EXPECTS you to take damage.

I think 1 hit = lose power up, 1 hit with no powerup =death, works best for me.

Requires good game planning so that losing power ups doesn't = impossible.

Actually I guess this requires AI.

Comment

Its not that bad when its done properly, Like geoff said it works for Area 88 and I think it works for Mr Heli as well. It just depends on the game.

Comment

Not keen on it myself. Xexex is another one I can think of. The sense of urgency is diminished.

Comment

It's rubbish. Didn't work for Metal Slug Advance either.

Comment

It's most frustrating in Carrier Airwing/US Navy as it's constantly going down - it's a combined health/fuel thingy. If you arent picking up items and careful with your firing then you're screwed.

Comment

The shootumup first game I played with an energy bar was 1941.

For me it was the end of "Do a game on one credit" My skills were perfected on chippy classics like: Nemesis, Rtype & Slapfight, and I felt that it was expected that you could finish a game on 10p.

Then the energy bar came, it it was like Gaunlet & all those catroon fighters like the Simpsons.

The guy with the biggest wallet is the winner.

So for me, the energy bar was all about a paradigm shift in Arcade games, where it became impossible to finish on one credit, and you ended up paying for "Game time"

That's why I still play the classics most, (Like R-type) as the challange is still there for me. I never really got the same buzz from games like Mars Matrix.

Comment

Ikargua pulls it off pretty well, IMHO. Although on the whole, I would tend to agree with the sentiment.

Tirian
                  Last edited by Tirian; 27-03-2006, 14:07.

Comment

on a slightly unrelated note - they do say there are two "routes" through r-type - one with all the power ups and one for the pea shooter

Comment

Originally posted by Tirian
                      Ikargua pulls it off pretty well, IMHO. Although on the whole, I would tend to agree with the sentiment.

Tirian
                      Ikaruga doesnt have an energy bar though, just a weapon charge bar. It's a one hit and you're dead game. Unless it wasn't a typo and there is a game called Ikargua, in which case I appologise

Comment

Guwange uses a lifebar system and I'm not sure what I think of it. Some bullets/projectiles do only minor damage to you while others kill you in one hit. It's weird to not die when you get hit but it makes the gameplay slightly more forgiving. The damage you take might have something to do with how close to your hitbox the bullet hit. It doens't feel completely out of place in that game but I prefer a one-hit-wonder, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X