Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you get when you mix Panzer Dragoon with Virtua Fighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you get when you mix Panzer Dragoon with Virtua Fighter?

The answer is Elan Doree.

I picked this pretty odd title today and found that it's actually one if the most beautiful games I've ever seen on the Saturn. All these screen shots were taken by me. I haven't added any filters or nothing to them. They are direct from the video capture card and as you can see, this is one hell of a pretty looking game.

Made in 1998 by the pretty small company, Sai - Mate. This Saturn beat'em up runs in the Saturn highest resolution just like VF2, Dead or Alive and many others. But the thing that this game has over the others is not only the smooth high detailed textures but also some real transparency effect !

Sai- Mate have done some sort of what looks like an interlacing trick to force the Saturn to produce transparent polygons. There's none of that awful mesh **** that other games suffer from. They aren't 100% perfect however. If you look closely as the game is running you can sometimes see what looks like interlaced scan lines running through the transparent polygons. You really do have to look though and must be running the game through at least S-Video to see them.

The game is really odd to play at first and to be honest I though it was a bit crap but after getting to grips with the play mechanics I found it to be quite enjoyable. There are only 2 attack buttons plus a jump and dash. Combines these though with movements on the D-Pad and you'll find yourself pulling of some pretty impressive moves.

Elan Doree isn't the best fighter on the Saturn but it sure is well worth checking out even if it's just for the oddness of the title.

Yakumo

i really wish you wouldnt do this Mark

makes me want more Saturn games

is it an expensive game?

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
      i really wish you wouldnt do this Mark

makes me want more Saturn games

is it an expensive game?
      hmm, I've seen it for 3500 with spine card. The one I got today has no spine but was only 1480 yen. I guess it depends up on how lucky you are.

Yakumo

Comment

sounds good ill look it up

Comment

I know this game, but I found it to be a bit boring although its concept is original. I'd rather play the likes of DoA, or a better comparison, Astra Superstars. You could also get blown of your dragon wasn't it?

I believe it was an ST-V port.

Comment

that is probably one of the prettiest fighters I've seen on the saturn tho.

*adds to wish list*

Comment

Working...
            X