PAL MD Games that work fine in 60Hz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL MD Games that work fine in 60Hz

just curious as it'll probably save me a bit of money in the long run...

i'm looking to get a pal md that i'll mod for 60hz/multi-region, specifically for playing streets of rage 1/2 and sonic 1/2/3.

how do the pal versions of the above games fare when played in 60hz? seeing as the md's got synthesisers and all that (no cd audio of course!) i'd assume the music could get sped up?

i think i've still got a us sonic 1 somewhere but i've noticed that playing the us version on my xbox in 60hz has the music faster than it was when i was playing the us one on my pal md way back when (before i even knew what hz were, and i'm assuming the slow music is on account of the 50hz md).

so basically, if i got the pal sor/sor2/sonic2/sonic3, would the music be affected by the speed increase at 60hz?

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
    so basically, if i got the pal sor/sor2/sonic2/sonic3, would the music be affected by the speed increase at 60hz?
    Yup.

Comment

Depends on the game.

Comment

well if the game is using the synthesiser (are there any that don't?) wouldn't that be tied to the frequency it's running at? kinda like overclocking a processor - the timing would be different so i'd assume the music will speed up...

Comment

Anyone know if PAL eternal champions for the mega cd is pal-optimized?

Comment

Here is detailed info that I know 80% of you will ignore:

It depends what game, SOME GAMES - Contain more than one version of the game and both are properly optimized to run in 50 or 60Hz.
            An Example of such a game is VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 - which runs at the correct speed no matter what you set your console to.
            Streets of RAge 1 runs at the wrong speed in 50Hz, 60Hz is the correct speed. I'm not sure about 2.
            There is a version of Sonic 1 that runs at the right speed on 50Hz - although you obviously don't have it.

Games that run right on 50 or 60Hz:
            Sonic 1 (Only the later runs work properly in 50Hz - they reprogrammed it)
            Sonic 2
            VF2
            OutRun

Among others (You think I'd actualy list them ALL?)

Some PAL games that screw up on 60Hz:
            Thunder Force 4 - works, but randomly checks what region it's running on and shuts off if it's not the right one
            Rocket Knight Adventures - on 60Hz the game will lock up and if it still runs - it runs at the slower speed - WTF
            Sonic 3 - "This game is desged for play on PAL blah blah blah" - although it runs at the right speed on 50Hz so it's not as big a problem
            Last edited by g34r~guy; 08-04-2006, 08:25. Reason: crap content

Comment

well i only asked about sor1/2 and sonic 1/2/3

as for my sonic 1, it was the us version i had anyway hence the slow music, although as you say later pal versions sorted this out (i only ever played the early pal version a few times, never the later one, and so did not know that the music should've been faster, hence my surprise when i first played sonic on an emulator )

as a little update, i'm not interested in 60hz-capable pal games anymore as i've just been buying genesis carts really cheap, including sor and sor2.

i'd assume sor2's music speeds up in 60hz, although funnily enough, if you play the us version in 50hz the music goes about twice the speed!

Comment

hey does anyone know if the pal sonic & knuckles works with us/jap sonic 2/3? reason i ask is my local gamestation has it for ?3 and i already have sonic 2 (jap and us)

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
                  hey does anyone know if the pal sonic & knuckles works with us/jap sonic 2/3? reason i ask is my local gamestation has it for ?3 and i already have sonic 2 (jap and us)
                  yeah it does. I once tried a genesis sonic 3 with pal sonic and knuckles. it worked fine..

Comment

that's great - i'd better snap it up then

Comment

Working...
                    X