Disillusioned with modernity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disillusioned with modernity?

Has anyone found themselves completely dissatisfied with the state of modern gaming? I don't mean crappy nostalgic witterings ("It ain't like it were son.... rubbish) where you praise a game you haven't played for 15 years, but really cannot bring themselves to enjoy the next-generation? I very recently bought a 360 but am bored stiff with it. I know it's in its infancy and may develop but I just cannot play anything next-gen. It's like a disease and quite a crippling one at that. I'm just stuck in a bubble of 2D fighters and shooters now. I spend hours practising roman cacels and dead angles in Guilty Gear X for reasons I cannot fathom. Don't even get me started on Street Fighter addiciton.....I recently bought a DC copy of Garou simply to test how it alters in comparison to the AES version and the responsiveness of the arcade stick. The fact that my most my age are playing Fifa hammers my malady home. After all this ranting, is the modern world that bad, or should I just indulge in this new technology with more vigour?

*Sigh as weight lifts from shoulders*

I would have agreed with you being uninspired by the 360. That was until I met Oblivion.

Comment

Aye, I'm trying to get it now - but I know I'll be trying to Dragon Punch enemies sub-consciously.

Comment

I've been playing mostly DS stuff and 2D shooters recently. Until last night...... When I played Rallisport Challenge 2 and Forza (xbox) online until 4am. It was goddamn amazing. Everyone is so friendly on those games most of the time.

Comment

Has anyone found themselves completely dissatisfied with the state of modern gaming?
          Yes, just about. I still enjoy the odd modern game, but they're quite few and far between, and I just can't muster any enthusiasm for the next-gen at all.

Comment

Thank you Kubrick - a kindred spirit. Time for a little Pulstar.

Comment

I go through phases of dissatisfaction with modern gaming. I alternate between bingeing on retro games and bingeing on modern games. Currently I'm in a modern game phase (largely thanks to Oblivion and Ghost Recon)

Comment

I think you need a long Pong session.

Comment

I think it comes down to ' familiarity breeds comtempt '

Anything becomes boring if you don't have variety. I have to listen to different music, watch different types of movies, and play moden and retro games, because sticking to one thing gets boring pretty quick.

When it comes to games, I often play a lot of 3D FPS's and end-up burnt-out, with a disillusioned feeling. Then I play on my GBA/DS or snes etc.. and I feel invigorated with a new zest for gaming. Then things flip again, and I see the latest 3D extravagansa and really get into that.

Just play what you feel like, and remember the variety of games available over the years means there is little reason to get bored!

Comment

I find that, like many posters on this site, the fact I've been gaming for well over 20 years (I'm, er, 'twentysomething ) means that I have less tolerance for mediocre games as each year goes by. And unfortunately the mass-market nature of today's gaming scene means that there is a higher proportion of mass-market mediocrity as compared to real gems. Note that this isn't a genre-fascism thing; Outrun 2006 might be 'mass market' in that it's an arcadey racer, for example, but it's an outstandingly well-done game. I think the issue with the 360 is that the launch titles are pretty mediocre in general (IMO, of course) and so many of us who are more, shall we say, 'discerning' -- ie. most posters on this site -- are waiting for games that truly justify the purchase of this system.

Comment

Aye, I feel more or less the same way you do, Nietzsche. Not only do I find myself unenthused with the trends in theme and art direction in modern games (don't worry, I'll not bust out my usual "dull WWII FPS" rant :P), I'm constantly being reminded of just how much my expectations of games in general differ from those of seemingly every other gamer, "casual" or otherwise, in the world.

I hate this idea that games with loads of AI are somehow more intelligent, challenging or fun (no offence to you fighting game enthusiasts... I'm mainly referring to games like Halo). I hate the idea that as an educated human being, I should expect all of my games to deliver a cinematic and literary experience, or human drama and interpersonal bull**** (and that I'm somehow less intelligent if none of this interests me). I would suggest that our gaming peers should pick up a few more books and watch a few more films.

I don't want to play a hyper-realistic first-person re-imagining of the Normandy beach landings, or to gradually grow to respect and care for a party of cookie-cutter wisecracking teenagers in an 80-hour RPG, I just want a transdimensional robotic fish to tear through a vortex and attempt to take me down with frenetic blanket-fire.

Am I mad? Am I alone in my thinking? Who gives a **** anyway? There's plenty of room for everything.
                      Last edited by Klatrymadon; 08-04-2006, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
                        I think it comes down to ' familiarity breeds comtempt '

Anything becomes boring if you don't have variety. I have to listen to different music, watch different types of movies, and play moden and retro games, because sticking to one thing gets boring pretty quick.

When it comes to games, I often play a lot of 3D FPS's and end-up burnt-out, with a disillusioned feeling. Then I play on my GBA/DS or snes etc.. and I feel invigorated with a new zest for gaming. Then things flip again, and I see the latest 3D extravagansa and really get into that.

Just play what you feel like, and remember the variety of games available over the years means there is little reason to get bored!
                        same here, i usually have periods where i go retro and then back to modern gaming, although over the past few years i've stuck mainly to retro, the last generation just didn't hold my attention. However i'm about to get a psp and with a 360 next on my most wanted list (oblivion - i must, i have to play this game), my jap sat, psone, and DC will probably gather dust for a while. But once i'm finally had my fill of what current gaming has to offer i'll probably be back on sengoku blaede. As you said it comes and goes, however i'm finding the forthcoming generation much more exciting then the last, and seeing as a game of oblivion's quality and scope has been released so early on in this forthcoming generation's lifespan i have hope. So here's hoping i'm playing much more modern games than retro over the next few years.

Comment

Very much so i got rid of my 360 for a ds, now im not saying the 360was bad but the ds is so much purer.
                          I got tired of too little innovation and way to much lamination on the visual side (the shiny look not a good or real one devs of the world).
                          The two games i kept doa 4 and ridge racer 6 are pure of heart and good looking, why oh why can we not have both?.
                          For now i will stick with my pc and my ds (i will rebuy the 360 in march).

Comment

All I've been playing recently are OutRun 2006, MGS 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga

Comment

Retro? Modern? I personally play both equally asmuch. Possibly slightly more retro, but its a close call.

Comment

Working...
                              X