Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone own and collect for just one format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own and collect for just one format?

Hows it working out for you? Im considering doing this and concentrating on one format. Intrested to hear your experencies.

I own a couple of machines but I only collect for one. The Megadrive. How do I find it? Personally I think that it heightens my pleasure. I'm not trying to find a handle of games for three or four systems at anyone time and I'm not obligated to spend a small fortune on 'fillers' just to complete those libraries. Maybe the Megadrive isn't everyone's weapon of choice, but selective collecting is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

Comment

to be honest i think many may have tried but very few make it passed the "i only wanna collect for one format" - i know ive tried just to collect for the PAL MD, but then like you spot a bargain or you hear about a great game, i think its pretty much impossible really! Besides i don't see why people would want to just commit themselves just to one format, every system has atleast one or two awesome games for it, right?

Comment

Yeah i hear ya, i have tried it myself before with the gba and failed as, as much as i love 2d gaming, when thats all i had i missed the 3d. Not sure that was the best format to go for in retrospect. If it happens it'll be the ps1 (natch) as it has a great selection of both. Does a handheld count as a second format?,as i dont wanna get rid of my psp. Oh bugger i see where this is heading! Hmmm...

Comment

i dunno mate im the worst one to ask man, i just buy and collect all sorts of CRAP (relatively speaking of course), just buy whatever you fancy man, no point sticking to one format! BROADEN YOUR HORIZONS!! (",)

Comment

Double post
            Last edited by SuperDanX; 20-04-2006, 09:26.

Comment

Thats what i do now and its a spralling mess without focus or direction.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                Thats what i do now and its a spralling mess without focus or direction.
                Same as my DVD collection. Just moved house and it hit home how much ****e i own.

CEX have had their DVD stock swell as a result. Time to be ruthless!

Comment

I guess if you want to have some kind of focus, split it 50/50. collect for a few systems you really like, but not at the exclusion of getting great games for other platforms. Theres no reason to tie yourself down totally.

Having a collection of the best and most interesting games on a variety of formats can be pretty satisfying in it's own right. Personally what i do to get a bit of focus in my collection, is collect by series, so for example, atm i'm trying collect every castlevania game, and of course thats spread out over various platforms.

Occasionally it throws up an oddity that requires a bit more effort, in this case, the x68000 version means i need to get an x68000 at some point. Other times there might be a very rare and hard to get version of a series,
                  but then it gets added to the list of games to look out for, and i get on with other stuff.

My personal opinion atm, is that collecting every game for a system is pretty cool, and if i had the money i would probably do it, but really, you're buying a lot of rubbish games to sit in boxes unplayed, just to have them all. I'm in no way knocking it. but atm i try to get the most for my money, and enjoy the games i get.

Comment

I dont have any intention of collecting every game for the ps1 god forbid :-/ just the ones i want. Must be a more satisfing way to collect than multiple formats at the same time which is what im doing now and its driving me nuts! :-/

Comment

I don't collect for one format, but I do collect for one genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
                        Personally what i do to get a bit of focus in my collection, is collect by series, so for example, atm i'm trying collect every castlevania game, and of course thats spread out over various platforms.
                        That's what I do. I spent 7 years trying to get every single Shining game. And now that I've accomplished that particular dream I've decided to go for every Team 17 game on the CD32.

Sad. I. Know.

Comment

I buy games for all my systems.

In my experience, concentrating on a specific format just leads to you buying rubbish *just because* it's a (insert console here) game.

It's better to just buy GOOD games irrespective of format.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                            I buy games for all my systems.

In my experience, concentrating on a specific format just leads to you buying rubbish *just because* it's a (insert console here) game.

It's better to just buy GOOD games irrespective of format.
                            I'm exactly the same, I collect for the majority of my systems, I tend to buy more for my SNES & MD as I have a soft spot for that generation.

Comment

I think its perhaps folly to concentrate solely on 1 console. There are too many great games out there for that, across too many platforms.

That said though there is a certain type of pleasure in really getting into a console and searching high and low for all that it has to offer, both good and bad. That doesn't necessarily mean collecting every single release, but it does mean experiencing/gaining knowledge about the majority of them.

As with most things a balance you feel happy with is best. I personally focus heavily on 4-5 systems, but have another 20 or so with on average a dozen games for each.

Comment

Working...
                              X