Dragon Quest trivia and history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Quest trivia and history

Does anyone know if it's actually true that SquareEnix aren't allowed to release a new Dragon Quest game on a weekday in Japan? This is always mentioned but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was just an urban myth and there's no actual law about this in Japan. Does anyone know anything more about it?

Any other pieces of DQ trivia out there, I'm compiling some info for an article.

Originally posted by milk is chillin
    Does anyone know if it's actually true that SquareEnix aren't allowed to release a new Dragon Quest game on a weekday in Japan? This is always mentioned but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was just an urban myth and there's no actual law about this in Japan. Does anyone know anything more about it?

Any other pieces of DQ trivia out there, I'm compiling some info for an article.
    Didn't Edge's Japanese correspondent say that it was a myth a couple of issues back? Or maybe it was gamesTM's guy? I can't remember.

Other than that I would have a flick through Game Over by David Sheff and Power Up by Chris Kohler. I seem to recall both those books making reference to Dragon Quest.

Comment

Originally posted by milk is chillin
      Are you now? Oh are you now?!

For the love of god, who would commission someone to write an article on the fantastic Dragon Quest series, when said writer knows nothing about it and has to run to forums asking for trivia?!

It's ridiculous. Absolutely crazy in fact. UTTER MADNESS!
      Last edited by Sketcz; 20-04-2006, 19:00.

Comment

The weekday thing has made it to the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest

The series is extremely popular in Japan. Following the release of Dragon Quest III in 1988, the Japanese Diet requested that Enix only release new installments of the Dragon Quest series on Sundays or holidays, to prevent children from skipping school to wait in line for the latest Dragon Quest title.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
          Are you now? Oh are you now?!

For the love of god, who would commission someone to write an article on the fantastic Dragon Quest series, when said writer knows nothing about it and has to run to forums asking for trivia?!

It's ridiculous. Absolutely crazy in fact. UTTER MADNESS!
          Hey, how's it going. This might be a strange concept for you to grasp but normally, when people are writing an article, they do a bit of research first. You know, fact checking, that kinda thing. This is especially helpful when dealing with obscure Japanese RPGs that were never released in the West.

Shocking as it may seem, not everyone is an expert on all things Dragon Quest - especially people who write about 'all kinds of stuff' for a living. Sometime it helps to ask for other people's help in case you missed something.

Comment

I think John's taking the piss. Well I hope he is. Cos I know what he's going on about at least

(and that does mean 99.9% of everyone else here is gonna be in the dark, but Ash will know too)
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I wouldn't take it too personally Milk, this forum gets used for fact checking all the time. Besides, I presonally think it would be iresponsible to not check your facts if you weren't 100% sure on something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
                I think John's taking the piss. Well I hope he is. Cos I know what he's going on about at least

(and that does mean 99.9% of everyone else here is gonna be in the dark, but Ash will know too)
                I was in a manner, I actually thought you were someone else completely! But having spoken with Mayhem and Kaladron, it turns out I was mistaken. (and sadly this in-joke can never be revealed or explained, for either love or money)

In which case it would appear that you've randomly been flamed by someone you don't know.

So apologies for the harsh words, and also embroiling you in our trio unawares.

Goodluck with the piece.

Comment

Working...
                X