Super Hydlide (MD) - text problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Hydlide (MD) - text problems?

Found this rare find in Gamestation today, but there's weird text issues in conversations with townspeople sometimes. Whole halves of sentences get cut off, and you can keep talking to the same person and different bits of the sentences are missing. Anyone know if it's meant to be like this? Or does my cart just need serious cleaning? (no idea what's the proper way to clean inside carts either)

Taking it back to GS is a possibility I suppose, especially since I got it free with the excellent Bio Hazard Battle, but it seems an interesting enough game to want to get working.

It's been a while since I experienced the 'pleasure' of playing this game, but I doubt a dirty cart would result in the problem you mention. I think the game was a pretty shoddy conversion so it's probably likely that the errors are a result of this. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Seems to be a game some like and some hate from stuff on the net. Not sure myself, just got out of town after reading a ton of broken sentences and wandered the field for a bit - seems like Ys with an attack button - both a good thing and a bad thing. Seems to have some Ultima-ish elements too.

Tried wiping the inside of the cart a bit with some soft cloth - no improvements. Maybe it just is as you said - a half finished game. Ahh well, was only a quid - if there's no suggestions I'll swap it for something else (if worth it)

Comment

Is it a PAL version that you're playing switched to 60Hz? That might cause errors. I own it, but can't be bothered to get the Megadrive out to test it. I had heard years back that it was a good game but perhaps that was the Sega fans desperate attempts to insist that the machine could do RPGs too, as most other accounts of it that I've read say that it's godawful and generic. Personally, I've not yet played it but it's an ARPG so for me it already has an advantage over Final Fantasy I'd rather play an ARPG that was utter dross than a good traditional RPG.

Comment

I used to own a copy. For the short period of time that I played it, I can't remember experiencing this problem. I was playing my Japanese copy on an Asian Megadrive which hadn't been switched or modded.

Comment

It's a terrible game.

To say the graphics are Master System quality would be an insult to the Master System. The music is awful and the gameplay is soooo dull it makes you want to eat your own leg. It takes ages to level up your character and you wander around for what seems like ages and nothing. Ever. Happens.

But for a quid, I don't suppose you can complain. I bought my copy from Asda nearly ten years ago for a fiver.

Comment

Lol I remember buying this game at launch in Japan :P

One thing that sticks in my mind was when you equiped better armour it made your character move at a snails pace, took about a week to get from one side of the screen to the other.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Virtual Hydlide?

Awsome.

Comment

One thing that sticks in my mind was when you equiped better armour it made your character move at a snails pace, took about a week to get from one side of the screen to the other.
                  There's a weight system thing. If you're carrying too much crap you'll be weighed down - you pretty much have to start out with a basic knife and minimum supplies. Leveling up increases your weight I think - still haven't played too far into it, but I think I've decided I'm keeping it - might just be my Megadrive/the first town in the game. And come on, a quid really isnt anything to cry over.

I found some dungeon which kicked my ass with basic equipment - think I needed to go somewhere else/level more. It reminds me of the original Zelda with stats and leveling up - just a big-ass world where you have no real idea where to go but wander around and find places.

Loving the music - can't understand why Duddyroar hates it so much, really good for early Megadrive music.

Comment

Play Buck Rogers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                      Anyone familiar with Virtual Hydlide?

Awsome.
                      Virtual Hydlide is the kind of game that is SO bad.. its actually... no its not good at all! Lets see: 3fps, horrible graphics, a sort off fatass like hero and awful AWFUL movie clips (That girl.. UGH, Just scary!).

I think this is the worst game on the Saturn, and one of the worst games overall.

Comment

Fighting 2d green blobs on 3 inch brown texture maps ins my bag.

Comment

I think it's a cracking game. Your thread prompted me to give it another shot, and why I didn't spend to much time on it, I kinda liked it and I still know why I kept it instead of selling it off like I sometimes do... About your problem : I play a PAL cart in 60 Hz and it works fine, so that isn't the problem. You might want to try cleaning your cart, but I'd be surprised if that was the problem. Maybe something's wrong with in inside? I'd bring it back and look for a good copy; they are plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Working...
                          X