Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rev Limit ( N64 )

REV LIMIT

Rev Limit was a game I and many others had our eyes on at the beginning of the N64's life. It looked amazing in the shots, with it's impressive lighting and detailed colourful visuals. The game was set to be the 64's answer to Ridge Racer, but sadly... it never got released!

What was the reason? It certainly looked far more impressive than any other N64 racer, maybe it was just too ambitious?

I heard rumours the creators SETA were planning to put it on the 64DD and also that it was to be updated and released on the Gamecube; once again, it wasn't to be!
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-05-2006, 03:32.

Like you said, it looks far better than any other N64 racer ever released. Maybe what Seta showed wasn't even running on the N64. Just look at all of Seta's other games. they all look like crap. Just a thought but maybe they thought that they could pull off something close to what they showed but found it not to be possible.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
      Like you said, it looks far better than any other N64 racer ever released. Maybe what Seta showed wasn't even running on the N64. Just look at all of Seta's other games. they all look like crap. Just a thought but maybe they thought that they could pull off something close to what they showed but found it not to be possible.

Yakumo
      Yeah... it was probably running on a more powerful dev unit. If you remember ' MRC: Multi Racing Championship ' ... the preview screens for that looked pretty spectacular, but the final game was murky and far from the previews!

MRC Preview

Actual Release Screen

Maybe SETA realised REV LIMIT would never live up to the preview shots and decided it was best to end the project!

The only SETA racer I remember enjoying was' Exhaust Heat 2 ' on the SuperFamicom.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-05-2006, 03:59.

Comment

I thought Ridge Racer 64 was the N64's answer to Ridge Racer

Certainly looks impressive. I thought I'd missed out until I realised it was never released.

Comment

Are Seta still around? Exhaust Heat on the SNES was brilliant. The music still amazes me to this day, it's almost CD-quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
            Are Seta still around? Exhaust Heat on the SNES was brilliant. The music still amazes me to this day, it's almost CD-quality.
            seta made a golf game on the gc

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
              I thought Ridge Racer 64 was the N64's answer to Ridge Racer

Certainly looks impressive. I thought I'd missed out until I realised it was never released.
              I was gutted at how poor Ridge Racer 64 turned out. It came-out near the end of the machines life, and was way too underwhelming to impress.

I remember thinking " Why the hell does this look much worse than PS1 Ridge Racer 1??? "

I guess the N64 wasn't very good at runing car racing games because I can't think of a single one that came close to the PS1's best. Don't say ' World Driver Championship ' ... I found it to be extremely poor, and I would rather forget the terrible handling.

My favourite 64 car racers were probably: Top Gear Rally, Lamborghini and Top Gear Overdrive. These titles had reasonable visuals, and at least were playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                I had a look around, and it seems they are still going. Looks like they only make Golf games these days ( gingerj mentioned this! )

Here is the GC game: Legend Of Golfer
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-05-2006, 10:22.

Comment

I hear good things about LoG GC...?

It is indeed baffling that for a console that for all appearances and displays just couldn't cut it where racers were concerned, the N64 had so many racing games regardless.

I know it's a crap game, but as with many crap games of yesteryear nostalgia tends to have us think otherwise ... California Speed remains a guilty pleasure for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Naouruki
                    I hear good things about LoG GC...?

It is indeed baffling that for a console that for all appearances and displays just couldn't cut it where racers were concerned, the N64 had so many racing games regardless.

I know it's a crap game, but as with many crap games of yesteryear nostalgia tends to have us think otherwise ... California Speed remains a guilty pleasure for me.
                    The N64 had a super F1 game and that was it . The rest were dire in my view

Comment

With the aid of the Ram expansion pack, I reckon the final product would have looked as good as the screenshots suggest so I don't think it was too ambitious technically. Perhaps the publisher pulled the plug on the development of the game?

Tbh, the driving games on the N64 (Mario kart and f-zero excluded) made Playstation and Saturn owners laugh.
                      Last edited by Kongster; 04-05-2006, 23:06.

Comment

F1GPII was super though (if you had the expansion pack to keep the framerate up)

Comment

San Francisco Rush?

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                            San Francisco Rush?
                            Oh yeh, great, like driving cars that all handled like school buses
                            I preferred World Driver Championship but that's already been dissed for bad handling.

Comment

But... but... they had wings and everything (well, in 2049 they did).

Don't go and make me pull my other suggestion (Cruis'n World) out the bin.

Comment

Working...
                              X