Hunter, Amiga and ST, worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunter, Amiga and ST, worth getting?

I bought this along with Cruise for a corpse in 1992? and thought it was the best thing since but is it worth buying a machine to play it on nowadays? i remember the aimless wandering and feeling of being completely alone but that it was very engrossing one wanted to find other people and vehicles.

I can remember playing hunter on the amiga without actually trying to play the game properly.
    Just walking around driving each vehicle from area to areat to see how far I could get, my favourite had to be the hovercraft, I used to have the co ordinates etched on my brain!
    The windsurf was neat as well, go out to the middle of nowhere and jump in and swim out, then wait for the sharks!

Must admit I was looking at re investing in an amiga to play this and exile again.

Comment

It seems unbearably primitive and sluggish graphically nowadays, but the very basic polygon graphics exude a certain surreal charm. I loved the Amiga version.

Comment

It was probably one of the forerunners to the whole 3d sandbox games.
        If you look from a distance and squint a bit it could be Merceneries, or GTA without the polish, ish..

Comment

I'm going to have to buy it aren't i.

Comment

lol nice one literally i didnt play this till i gave the demo a wiz maybe 6 weeks back.

Impressed I was.

Comment

if your going to get a amiga i would recommend carrier command to

Comment

Carrier Command? What was that?

Comment

The Best Is Yet To Be.

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky
                    Carrier Command? What was that?
                    Carrier Command

Was a great game back in the day.

Comment

If Hunter's the game I remember it being, it's great. Kind of like GTA-meets-Far Cry (in that you can travel between islands and a huge bunch of lands at will).

Comment

I remember being impressed by it

Trouble is i reckon its one of those games where i probably would not like it that much now

Comment

and Midwinter! Don't forget Midwinter...

and Warhead

Hunter is indeed excellent. A fantastic game for its time. You can kill cows in it too if i remember correctly

Comment

Hunter is without doubt my #1 favourite Amiga game.
                            I spent ages trying to find a nice boxed copy for a decent price a while back, because I was never able to complete it the first time around since my pirate copy crashed evry time you went into a lighthouse (which was essential for one mission). I wasn't disappointed once I did track it down- it's every bit as good as I remembered. I left my A1200 set-up for about six months just for playing this again. Free-roaming action with cows, sharks, windsurfers & tanks - what more could you want?

edit: I remember Zero reviewed this twice back in the day - it got 88% the first time, then was delayed for some reason and was re-reviewed a few months later getting 94%.
                            Last edited by anagrama; 06-05-2006, 14:41.

Comment

I'd just play Hunter under emulation, to be honest.

It's nice but you'll get bored with it very quickly as it's rally quite slow and clunky. I wonder who made it and what they've don since?

Comment

Working...
                              X