UK Candy Cab Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Candy Cab Import

Note: Please do not take this as a trading thread, it is simply an attempt to gauge current interest in a venture I hope to get off the ground in the near future.

I had been considering buying a cab for a long time. Then recently whilst visiting an arcade here in China (I'm English, but I live and work here now), I came across some cool Japanese sit-down candy cabs which looked ideal for use in a domestic setting. That was it, I had to have one for my apartment! The cab I chose was a Super LS Sound which is based on the SNK Super Neo 29. It has a big 29" 15khz rotateable arcade monitor, stereo speakers, nice balltop joysticks, seven buttons per player and a lit marquee. Here are some pics to give you a better idea:

As a result, I've done some investigation into the possibility of shipping some back to the UK. Having done all the relevant calculations, it seems that we could arrange them for around the ?500 mark. We will of course make a small profit to cover our costs and time to make this a reality, but we still feel that this price is competitive with other similar cabs already available in the UK. These cabs would be more than just as-standard from the factory. They would also include the following:

1. A UK compatible isolation transformer (no need for a step-down)
    2. An ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card modified for 15khz output (similar to the ArcadeVGA)
    3. A PC to JAMMA converter (similar to the JPAC, will include video amp etc)
    4. An audio amp suitable for the standard cabinet speakers
    5. A kick harness for the additional buttons
    6. A
    UK
    compatible coin mech
    7. An internal powerstrip
    8. All required cables for hooking up a PC

Of course, all of this will be ready installed too, so all that needs to be done is add a PC and you'd be good to go (as you can see from the last pic above, these cabs have a nice big area at the bottom to install the PC). And of course, nothing would be butchered such that original JAMMA PCBs could be used easily. We could also have the monitor pre-rotated horizontally of vertically. And yes, these cabinets and components would be brand-new, not ex-arcade.

So what do you guys think? Would anyone be interested? Remember, I am not looking to take any orders here as this is just an idea at the moment. I am just trying to determine if there is any demand. We will need 20 or so people to fill a shipping container.

The guys at killercabs have this pretty much sorted already. ?500 for an LS Sound seems a bit pricey.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Kind of true. The guys at KC have given the Candy Cab collectors in the UK a great service, and I commend them for this. But to be fair, I seem to remember them knocking these out at a very similar price, but without any of the extras included. And of course, there are other suppliers in the UK selling similar cabs for double, so all-in-all we feel that we are not being greedy. I am sure you agree that we should make some profit to cover the amount of effort such shipments require.

Out of interest, what would you deem to be a fair price for these cabs?

Comment

Just as a quick rule of thumb, let's take COX's (coinopexpress) closest example of a cab (as they don't have the LS Sound listed currently):

http://www.coinopexpress.com/product...2%29_5948.html

So that's listed as 265.67 GBP (admittedly, prices may be lower if 20 or so cabs are purchased). After all the freighting to port, shipping, lolo costs, agent fees, scanning, and of course the dreaded import VAT is added, these would come out at around 440 GBP, and that does not include any extras such as the gfx card, PC to JAMMA converter, sound amp, additional wiring etc. It isn't so cheap to bring cabs from Asia.

Last edited by StatMat; 11-05-2006, 09:24.

Comment

Working...
        X