i predict a riot - Saturn vs DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i predict a riot - Saturn vs DC

Okay i was smashing my brains over what is the greatest out of the DC and Saturn. I know the saturn has tons of must have games, many however are traditional shooters and 2D fighters which althoughy are great it feels as if the saturn is limited when it comes down to genres in regards to must buy games. The DC although doesn't have as much 2D fighters and traditional shooters still has a good enough showing of both and is more varied genre wise. It all comes down to SEGA though and although SEGA gave us the likes of Nights on the saturn i felt that the DC saw the best of SEGA, jet set radio, shenmue, crazi taxi, cosmic smah, and virtua tennis to name a few. Thats probably why the winner for me personally is the Dreamcast

It was a tough call but Sega's output and more varied genres won it for me, only just, the saturn can feel too limited when it comes down to games

Dreamcast =

Over to you

For a moment, for a brief crazy moment, I thought someone had made a licensed DC and Saturn game, based on the Kaizer Chiefs song, "I Predict a Riot". Now the song is playing in my head.

I'll get back to this topic after collecting my thoughts on the systems, though I must admit, it's not the fairest of comparisons. The DC was a last ticket for Sega, they knew they had to pull out all the stops or it was the end (which it was, actually). So of course you were going to see a higher forced concentration of quality over a shorter time. Obviously every company wants their system to do well and tries hard, but they were really going gung-ho with all these top quality games, like a man whose fighting while backed into a corner...

Comment

This was talked about over at Dreamcast History. So I'll say what I said there.

"Unless you live in Japan there is no way you will be able to make the choice based on quality games since the Saturn's library in Japan is more than twice the size of the US & PAL one put together. I own 359 Japanese Dreamcast games which includes 92% of the none adventure titles. I own 654 Japanese Saturn games but only own about 80% of none adventure titles. The Saturn in Japan was a success unlike the west meaning that there are many cool games that you may not even know about. Anyway, as you can guess for me the Saturn is far better than the Dreamcast is every area apart from racing games."

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
        For a moment, for a brief crazy moment, I thought someone had made a licensed DC and Saturn game, based on the Kaizer Chiefs song, "I Predict a Riot". Now the song is playing in my head.
        Me too...except, the whole thing about the game being made...Just thought of the song .

Anyways, tough decision, but it's gotta be the Dreamcast. The Saturn has many fantastic games, but alot of the shooters and fighters are available on other systems (inferior in some cases, superior in others).

Quality Sega titles like JSR, Samba, Space Channel 5 p2, Rez, Virtua Tennis, they're just soooo good

Comment

I think the DC had a lot more innovative titles than the Saturn. Sambe De Amigo, REZ, Get Bass too name a couple. I think because the machine was Sega's swansong they seemed to have more free reign to release the crazier **** in the West.
          The saturn has some absolute killer titles, but as I'm getting older my eyes are really starting to wince at some of the graphics in certain Saturn titles.
          I think because a lot of the Saturn's catalogue is filled with fantastic Arcade ports; and these titles can now be emulated on the Xbox and P.C, the Saturn has lost some its clout.
          I sold my Saturn collection without much hesitation because I had arcade roms on my Microsoft box.
          It's a close call but the Dreamcast is a classy bit of kit and a bit more resiliant than the Saturn laser wise too, it would seem.
          So at the risk of being unpopular I'd take the D.C.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Personally I really don't know, I love both consoles. I could never get rid of them. Although if I had to choose at this moment on my personal collection it would be the Dreamcast. I simply have not played enough Saturn titles to really be sure.

I think a lot of people will choose the DC because of the rep of some of the appalling PAL Saturn releases.

Comment

Originally posted by oldskool
              Personally I really don't know, I love both consoles. I could never get rid of them. Although if I had to choose at this moment on my personal collection it would be the Dreamcast. I simply have not played enough Saturn titles to really be sure.

I think a lot of people will choose the DC because of the rep of some of the appalling PAL Saturn releases.
              I think if i had owned a Jap segs saturn my opinion may have been different, but I had a pal one and like you rightly pointed out there was some really bad pal saturn games.
              'Mon the dreamcast!

Comment

It's a close call but the Dreamcast is a classy bit of kit and a bit more resiliant than the Saturn laser wise too
                Never had a problem of any kind with any of the Saturns I've owned. On the other hand, I've had two PAL Dreamcasts that suffered laser faults. Plus there's the well-documented resetting problem. Saturn is definitely the better-built machine in my experience.

As for choosing between the two, It's tough as I feel both are essential but I'll go with the Saturn.

As good as the DC's library is, I can't help but feel it relies too heavily on Capcom & SEGA themselves for it's greatness. Same could be said about the SS of course, but it also benefitted from having stuff from the likes of TAITO, Konami etc, plus loads of smaller outfits since it was more successful in it's homeland.

Some reasoning for my choice:

The Saturn has a Metal Slug game, three efforts from Treasure vs the DC's two, more hori shmups, a better range of vert shmups, a better RPG than anything on the DC, it has Panzer Dragoon games, the best Virtua Cop, and a Superior Sega Rally game. It even has a better Tomb Raider game! and you could also argue that VF2 was a better game than VF3tb.

Tbh there's a case for both machines - DC has more Biohazards, superior Virtual-ON etc, but let's just say I think the SS was a better machine overall.

IMO of course

Comment

I would agree about the poor quality of the dreamcast hardware. I'm on my fourth one now!

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                    I know the saturn has tons of must have games, many however are traditional shooters and 2D fighters which althoughy are great it feels as if the saturn is limited when it comes down to genres.
                    You can't have play that many Saturn games, if you make a statement like that. Serious the Saturn had an ace selection of games for all genres, just be prepare to buy a lot of Japanese games.

Unlike the DC which has a very limited library, with most of it's games now also appearing on other formats.

Adds his vote to the poor quality of the dreamcast hardware.

Every gamer should own both machines however.

Comment

Dreamcast gets my vote but it's an extremely close call. However, Sega Rally on the Saturn is miles better than Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast.

Comment

The DC has to be the greatest console ever. Only the Wii has the potential to better it, imo.

Comment

I won't answer the topic of the thread because i havent experienced the saturn as comprehensively as the dc but i will say that the dc is the console with the most unrealised potential in history. I think developers only scratched the surface of what it was capable of.

Comment

Dreamcast is my personal favourite. Wether it's actually better or not I can't say, but I've had more fun (and still do) on my 'cast than on any other console I've ever owned.

Me wubs DC!

Comment

i love both machines but id say saturn is better just because theres so much more variety on it

Comment

Working...
                              X