Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astro Warrior ( Master System )

ASTRO WARRIOR

The Master System was my first console, and it came with this built-in. I found myself playing it quite a lot, and being quite a simple game, it was soon clocked.

I was thinking about the game yesterday, and how much I liked it back in the day, so I decided to give it another go after what must be 16years.

Well... I was pleased to discover, that despite it's age and simplicity, it's still a charming experience full of bright colours and action. I really like the design of the enemies. They vary quite a bit, and some are really effective in the way they look; the glowing balls being a favourite. The bosses aren't anything miraculous, but as with the rest of the game, they are simple, but still striking. I must also mention the asteroid showers ... as they really work well to boost the experience!

There may not be much to this game, and it's quite easy and short, but I still like it!

Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-05-2006, 07:41.

What version was it that had that game built in?

I had the good old angular one with Hang On and Jungle Hunt and of course Snail Maze Game.

*hums snail maze music*

Comment

It was built into some early units alongside Hang On. (There's about half-a-dozen revisions of the original Master SYstem).

One of my favourite SMS shooters too - it can't compare to either of the Power Strikes, R-Type or Sagaia, but for it's age it's a damn fine game.

Comment

I've never played it, but it looks a lot like Star Force on the Famicom; a personal favourite of mine (the original, not the later versions of SF, which were horrid).

Image from VG Museum:
        Last edited by Sketcz; 26-05-2006, 14:39.

Comment

Astro Warrior is quite possibly one of the first home console games i ever played. Although could have been on the Spectrum my memory is blurred.

I had a Hang-On/Astro Warrior cart (still have it) I remember I used to be kinda scared of the bosses. Lots of love for this classic.
          Last edited by oldskool; 26-05-2006, 20:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Szczepaniak
            I've never played it, but it looks a lot like Star Force on the Famicom; a personal favourite of mine (the original, not the later versions of SF, which were horrid).

Image from VG Museum:
            It looks a lot like Star Force. The style is much the same, and it can seem like the same game at times.

Star Force

Comment

Really? Awesome. I'll be keeping an eye out for Astro Warrior then, been a while since I fired up the MS.

Problem is, when scouring carboots and what have you, the MS boxes look so garish and just plain awful, unless I know specifically what I'm looking for, I just kind of glaze over when browsing. Pity, since there are some corkers for the system.

Comment

In the UK, it's probably easier to find a Master System 1 with Hang On & Astro Warrior built-in that it is to find the cart version - it was never relased as a stand-alone game in Europe, just on the Hang On/Astro carts that came bundled with some consoles, and also on another (pretty uncommon) combo cart alongside the fantastic PitPot.
                Last edited by anagrama; 27-05-2006, 15:39.

Comment

Really? Awesome. I'll be keeping an eye out for Astro Warrior then, been a while since I fired up the MS.

Problem is, when scouring carboots and what have you, the MS boxes look so garish and just plain awful, unless I know specifically what I'm looking for, I just kind of glaze over when browsing. Pity, since there are some corkers for the system.
                  I wouldn't say Astro Warrior is a ' CORKER ' .. but it is pretty nice, in an old fashioned simple way. I was expecting it to be pretty dire these days, but surprisingly it's still a reasonable experience, and quite effective at what it does. Sadly.. there isn't much to it, as it's very short!

Worth having in a collection though!

Comment

Being such a pauper as a kid Astro Warrior and Hang-On were the only games I owned for the MS for many months. I can't remember if they were built in or on a cart but they came with the machine. Consequently they became two of my most-played and thoroughly thrashed games. I do have very fond memories of AW.

"Surely Revive (somethingorother)"

Comment

Originally posted by Sabreman
                      Being such a pauper as a kid Astro Warrior and Hang-On were the only games I owned for the MS for many months. I can't remember if they were built in or on a cart but they came with the machine. Consequently they became two of my most-played and thoroughly thrashed games. I do have very fond memories of AW.

"Surely Revive (somethingorother)"
                      " Surely Survive Zononi! " .... When you defeat the first boss!

Yeah... I was hard-up for games too. I managed to get some cheap lose cartridges at a console fair though, and those included a really fun wrestling game, and the reasonable Outrun. I sold the machine after a year though, and then moved on to the Megadrive. The MS is a nice system, with the first machine being much nicer looking than the horrible 2nd version.

Comment

You can't be serious? those SMS covers are great. Like the one from My Hero !!

Comment

Yes indeed the Master System cases & art were the best yet seen, so good.

Especially the sports games like "Great" Soccer.

Comment

Some MS boxes look pretty cool and neat imo!

There are lots that look like the designer blatantly put no effort in, but as with all systems, there are the good and bad!

Comment

I kind of like the awkward simplicity of MS boxart. It just gives me a warm glow for the time when illustrations and covers really were done by the programmer's mates. That whole 'bedroom coding' thing. Now it's multimillion-dollar concept studios... ah, I'm getting into the whole debate about the expansion of the games industry...

Of course, none of that really applies to SEGA, seeing as they always were a pretty damn big company, but you get my drift

Comment

Working...
                              X