How good was Starfleet??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good was Starfleet??!!

Probably one of the best TV shows eva!! It had everything, space battles, ant people, soap opera storylines a ghost sailing ship and transforming robots - xbomber, xbomber! DVD please!
    For the benefit of Family Fry (who had no idea what I was babbling on abouts last night in me drunken state)

Big red robot? Puppets? Not Gerry Anderson's Terrahawks? 1980s? You're in the right place - for Star Fleet!
    Last edited by bignige; 09-06-2006, 09:11.

I tried watching them again on VCD i got off ebay years ago, not as good as I remembered is all I?ll say got as far as ep3 before getting bored with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal
      I tried watching them again on VCD i got off ebay years ago, not as good as I remembered is all I?ll say got as far as ep3 before getting bored with it.
      Get outta my thread!

Comment

I had a Starfleet t-shirt as a kid with the big red robot thingy on it. I remember loving the show but can't remember much about it except for a villain with an insect on her face.

Comment

It was amazing, wish they'd re-release it on DVD.

The Dia-X was great.

Comment

Starfleet? OMFG I loved it!

At the time I remember it looking amazing. Puppets but with decent movement, big special effects and amazing battles. Now it would probably look like a couple of washing up bottles fighting with a sparkler.

I loved the characters. The baddies with their insect helmets covering one eye.

And the boss baddy. I remember him being massive! The other baddies would go to see him (usually when they'd ****ed up big time) and they would look over this big smoking pit and then.....BAM!!....he'd suddenly appear. It used to **** me up.

I hope I remembering this right and haven't dreamed any of it up .
            Last edited by Brats; 09-06-2006, 10:58.

Comment

It was soooo Japanese. Remember the three little ships that came out of the big one? Three individual fighters which could link up together to form a huge, stomping mech?

Great stuff. Knocks **** like thunderbirds out of the skies.

Comment

Wasn't the show made by the French?

Comment

Three individual fighters which could link up together to form a huge, stomping mech?
                  The ship was the X-Bomber and the giant robot was the Dia-X.

Tobal - No, but I think the French went ape**** over it.

Comment

I've never seen this. When was it made?

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                      Starfleet? OMFG I loved it!

. Now it would probably look like a couple of wahking up bottles fighting with a sparkler.
                      LMFAO I used to love this show too. Apparently you can get on DVD in Japan but that may just be a rumour. Wasn't one of the characters called Barry Hercules and he looked a bit like Guy Smilie from Sesame Street? I think there was also someone called Shin, a fat nerdy guy, a boring professor, a princess and her alien gorilla bodyguard. Is that right?
                      Last edited by MartyG; 09-06-2006, 10:58. Reason: quote fix
                      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

It was a Japanese show by legendary Go 'Devilman' Nagai called X-Bomber. They love a bit of supermarionation over there (half the mech bits in the various sentai shows are like Thunderbirds on acid!) and this was an attempt to do it the Japanese way.

I remember it being on a Sunday morning. There's been a few VHS compilations but no Western DVDs yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time (with Brian May commentary track, no doubt).

Comment

For those of you who don't know what Wil is talking about, Brian May did a version of the Starfleet theme. The story goes that his son was really into the show.

Comment

Here's a rundown on all the characters.

Bits I used to love -
                            On the opening credits "and I'm Barry Hercules".
                            John Lee's sarcasm!
                            X Impulse (Starfleet's version of the Fiery Phoneix)
                            The ships and robots.
                            Termoids shouting "Xbomber, xbomber"
                            The whole Captain Carter bit.
                            This program was just the best!!
                            Last edited by bignige; 09-06-2006, 12:28.

Comment

The title music rocked, I remember when I first watched it as a kid - It was like I had discovered soemthing really special. Loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X