Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey Saturn - Black and white picture

Got a great grey saturn from on of the lads on this forum, ty

Plugged it into my normal gaming CRT with both scart and composite and it's giving a black and white picture. This has never happened on this telly before, it plays 60hz stuff just great, including my import ps1.

Of course I have a snazzy LCD downstairs and I tried it in that with scart and the picture is perfect.

So, anyone any thoughts on why it isn't colour on my normal telly?

Cheers

Mapster.

is the SCART lead RGB or Composite? if it's Composite it could be that your CRT isn't NTSC compatible which would explain why you get an image but no colour as a TV can still be 60hz compatible even if it's not NTSC compatible.

Comment

I honestly don't know what the scart lead is, I bought it for a few quid from a shop years ago and it didn't have a box or anything.

I know that on the LCD in the main menu I have set it up as RGB and it's fine, what does that suggest?

Also, if you know of a scart lead that might work with my telly, please let me know so I can track it down

Comment

Could mean that the scart lead isnt entirely wired, another pin needs connecting to tell the TV that it should switch to RGB mode. For older TVs it's often the case that they don't have a manual RGB switch (unlike with your LCD) so they need that pin connected to switch modes.

Comment

I bet it the Scart lead becasue I have the same trouble a 6 years back on my old 21' TV, when I need to get a new Scart Lead

Comment

Anyone know of a particular scart lead which might cure the problem?

Comment

Yep it's the Scart Lead. I had this problem a few months back when I was getting leads together to sell my jap saturn, exact same prob.

I got one from www.whitedog.co.uk but can't seem to find them on their site anymore so might be worth popping them an email.

Jei

Comment

There are 9 pins on the scart lead (just counted em).

So it works ok on my pal saturn but not the jap, so I'm guessing I need a full 21 pin scart lead for the saturn?

Comment

Japanese Saturns output a lower switching voltage than UK ones, if the Scart is an official UK Sega one (or is wired the same way) the majority of TVs will not switch to RGB, and you'll get composite.

There will probably be a resistor linking pins 8 & 16, remove it and bridge the gap with either a lower value resistor or a short length of wire and it should be fine. (At your own risk like etc...)

Comment

Working...
                  X