Little known/odd JP PSone games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little known/odd JP PSone games

Anyone recommend any niche/little-known etc Japanese PSone titles? Basically any sort of game except RPG's (love em to bits but can't read Japanese!) that aren't really all that well known - how about some of those PS cooking games I keep reading about?
    If you could give me an indication of their rarity etc too that would be really appreciated! Thanks guys!

I'm also loving getting games for the JPN psone at the moment
    You could try a game called Ore no Ryouri (the cooking game, you probably
    were talking about) not too rare - hard to find with a spine for some reason.

There's a game called Tomarunner as well, basically it's a sort of 'running' racing game full of mexican wrestlers and lizards. Fun, don't pay premium though - as far as I can tell it's not too rare, can't speak for eBay though.

Parappa the rapper is a great (while not region exclusive game) game that is is full english (except one or two menus) - well worth getting and quite common also a suedo sequel Um Jammer Lammy (which i don't like as much, but have only played for a few minutes).

Silent Bomber is absoluteley superb - a fast paced arcade game where you rush around placing bombs on enemies - gets really tough in later stages, but I can't reccommend it enough (not an exclusive though) - shouldn't be too hard to find

There's a game called Bust a Move (1 and 2) which is quite a quirky dance fighting game - really common too

One Piece mansion is a fun game where you have to move guest's rooms around in a hotel so they are all happy with each other, essentially a puzzle game - very charming, and again common.

If you like shooters there is of course Harmful Park (very pretty game) and most of the great Parodius games plus a ton of others. You should give a game called G-Darius a go though if you are into shooters, which ahs a strangely 'Nautical' theme for some reason (not 'arcade perfect' but honestly it's still really playable).

You may want to check Yahoo japan for a couple of these - makes finding things much easier, plus even after the deputy service charges it still is quite cheap.
    Also worth checking here for some great looks at the japanese psx library (doesen't get updated anymore though)

Oh, and one more thing, if you want to search eBay - it makes things easier if you type the title of a game you're after in the search bar before the two bracketed bits in this search

Sorry for the long post mate
    Last edited by Stoise; 10-07-2006, 21:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoise
      There's a game called Bust a Move (1 and 2) which is quite a quirky dance fighting game - really common too
      Isn't that Bust-A-Groove?

Comment

Originally posted by Sane
        yeah i think you're right

the western version of bust a move is puzzle bobble

bust a groove a dancy game

Comment

There's a Resi-type game called Deep Freeze which I remember quite enjoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane
            Yeah, but in Japan it's called Bust-A-Move. They changed the title for the western release because it was copyrighted by Taito.
            Last edited by Stoise; 10-07-2006, 21:41.

Comment

Do you mean deep fear, which is a saturn game?

Comment

Tbh,i wouldnt bother with the rare/odd/obsucure stuff, although thats possibly quite a controversal statment, ive found (the hard way) most of those type of games aint that fun to play. You'd be better off both financially and get more enjoyment from the popular,well known and common titles. That goes for almost every format in my experince.

Comment

That's is very true - unless its cheap, its unfortunately not worth it usually.

Comment

Did someone mention cooking games (Bursts into thread Ouendan style) (^_^)

Apart from the wonderful ore no ryouri theres 2 more cooking games that are fun.

Gourmet action game: Manpuku nabe kazoku (quite rare but not expensive)

Using your trusty chopsticks you have to prepare orders for your hungry customers from a massive bowl of boiling ingredients.

Yakiniku bugyou (same as above)

Pretty much same as above (both are made by same company) but your in charge of a barbecue this time & have to grill meat & veg for your customers, very easy to learn & very fun.
                    Last edited by importaku; 10-07-2006, 22:18.

Comment

Oh & theres one more cool ps game.

Suzuki bakuhatsu (total git to find)

Its sort of a puzzle game where everyday objects have been turned into bombs & its your job to disarm them using your toolkit. Its very weird but fantastic.

The bombs are in 3d & as you start to dismantle them bits come apart exposing more & more of the bomb but some are booby trapped so you have to get in, in a certain way.
                      Last edited by importaku; 10-07-2006, 22:16.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Much appreciated.

The pics and info on the cooking games was great too. Also, Bust a Groove/Move was mentioned - anyone know where I can find a copy of the second game (I have the first)? eBay never seems to have any and I'd love a copy (also after the OST of the 1st game if anyone is selling/knows where to buy).

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                          Do you mean deep fear, which is a saturn game?
                          No, it was set in a tower block and didn't involve gay Australians and pink blobby things, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk
                            No, it was set in a tower block and didn't involve gay Australians and pink blobby things, iirc.
                            Ooh, another RE type of game? I'm rather fond of them. Anymore info or screens for this "Deep Freeze" game?

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk
                              apollogies, im so sussed despite what i posted yesterday it sounds intresting id also like to hear more/see some pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X