Total Annihilation - PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Annihilation - PC

Anyone remember this gem from yester-year? (1997)

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/t...ion/index.html

I must admit I had forgotten about this game - At the time I was playing it nine years ago it blew me away!

I can remember playing TA head-2-head on a 56k modem - Astounding

A friend of mine mentioned that a new version is coming out, but this time not under the 'TA' banner - Anyone know any info? Can't wait to play it!
    Last edited by Mu5; 04-08-2006, 09:52.

great game. I've played it waaay more than any other RTS.
    I've also designed some maps, 2 or 3 scored pretty high on TAMEC

back to your question, the TA "sequel" will be named Supreme Commander.
    Last edited by Gabbi; 04-08-2006, 10:18.

Comment

I got the game TA:kingdoms think it was a bit overated though

Trouble is with many rts games i dont ever see that much strategy

Comment

TA was an absolutely ball-busting RTS, what an amazing game, I was mad about it, I liked how you could get hundreds of units and download new units off the 'net.

I remember playing online on Boneyards (back in the days of pay per minute Internet connection and 56K) and it was great, I was hooked and I would get on whenever I had the chance.

You signed up at the beginning for either of the two sides the Arm or the Core, I think I was Arm, and I fought a grand total of 29 "galactic war" battles, these battles helped determine the outcome of the whole galaxy, with one or two planets being contested each day, the side who won the most number of battles on the planet would capture it.. this went on until one side won the whole galaxy.

I can state for the record, that out of a glorious 29 battles fought for the ARM, I won, 0 out of 29, and lost 29 out of 29

Some people would really take the pi$$, build up a huge army, destroy ALL your army, then pick up your commander in a Pelican (flying transport), fly him all around their massive defences and army, then drop him into a big circle of enemies, who would proceed to shoot at him and destroy him in a hail of lasers and bullets!

Needless to say, being a schoolkid at the time with not much money, and I wasnt paying the phone bill, I got cut off the 'net by my dad, and didnt get to lose any more battles again, when I came back to TA some years later I found that the Boneyards service was long-defunct ad:

Comment

I just picked this up recently again.

Me and my mates played this to death back in 2000 when I used to have two PCs linked up in my bedroom.

Is it possible to play each other over broadband? I'm up for a few games if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mu5
            Anyone remember this gem from yester-year? (1997)

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/t...ion/index.html

I must admit I had forgotten about this game - At the time I was playing it nine years ago it blew me away!

I can remember playing TA head-2-head on a 56k modem - Astounding

A friend of mine mentioned that a new version is coming out, but this time not under the 'TA' banner - Anyone know any info? Can't wait to play it!
            yep..called supreme commander, looks insane,

Comment

Could never get into this. It was just so... bland. No character whatsoever. Just looked like a load of cubes moving around a terrain.

Starcraft was (and by all accounts still is) the defacto rts. 8)

Comment

TA was brilliant, had me completely addicted at the time (although I was about 13 and a lot easier to please).

Supreme commander looks fantastic, have been watching this one for a while and it definitely didn't fail to dissapoint me with the E3 showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabbi

back to your question, the TA "sequel" will be named Supreme Commander.
                  Oh man that looks awesome, cheers for the link

Time for a new PC I think

Comment

I'm so glad I'm getting a new gaming laptop. Supreme Commander looks like the dogs bollocks.

I can't wait until I show my mate this..... I thought TA2 was a horrible rumour, until digging up this thread.

So, is it possible for us to hook up for some classic TA matches?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
                      So, is it possible for us to hook up for some classic TA matches?
                      Not sure, but i'd be up for it, havn't played the game in years now.

Comment

I'm gonna have to echo Gizmo on this one. I was soooo excited about Total Annihilation, had followed it in the PC mags for months, and then when it finally landed I was a bit nonplussed. I've always been a C&C fan, so the absence of plot and a sense of character in TA riled. It sure did look pretty though.

TA Kingdoms was quite good in a strange way. It was also technically ahead of its time, running like an absolute dog on most systems at the time.

For my money, the series was never a patch on the almighty StarCraft, but I'll keep an eye on Supreme Commander.

Comment

i'm pretty sure my dad still has a copy of this, both he and i played this to death...

man, rigging up a 'big bertha' (or several) and watch them pound the f*** out of everything from miles away was brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper

man, rigging up a 'big bertha' (or several) and watch them pound the f*** out of everything from miles away was brilliant!
                            Found my copy yesterday- going to fire it up

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smith
                              I'm gonna have to echo Gizmo on this one. I was soooo excited about Total Annihilation, had followed it in the PC mags for months, and then when it finally landed I was a bit nonplussed. I've always been a C&C fan, so the absence of plot and a sense of character in TA riled. It sure did look pretty though.
                              Pah. I never even play 1-player 'campaigns' on these games. I always jump straight into LAN multiplayer with lots of swearing and childish acting when things go great/wrong.

TA was the Perfect Dark of RTS games as far as me and my mates were concerned. So many damn options and technology routes for you to go down. There was so much stuff it became a real management test when it came to judging your resources.

It's funny as me and my mates picked it up out of EB for a fiver as a piss take when we were bored (much like Burnout1).

Got some real stories of later on after we'd been playing constantly for a couple of weeks.

One time I had a 200 strong army (or whatever the limit was, with the limit patch installed) of mainly Kbots trampling towards my mates huge bertha defended base. The colossal force got nuked twice but still one half was still enough to assault the outer wall of cannons (whilst nuked-out units were being brought back to life by the 'Resurrection Kbots' and then carrying on forward with 1/2,2/3 health), after sufficient decay on the parimeter wall my submersibal tanks came out of both sides of the bank BEHIND his defence accompanying my Kbots. There was so much going on he had no choice but to nuke his own patch of land taking his defence out as well as all my stuff. It was insane, and a helluva lot bigger and better than the mediocre-in-comparison sentinal battle out of Matrix 3. So much destruction, I'd attacked, he'd successfully defended. We were back to square 1, even worse as we both had loads of tidying up to do first and resources everywhere. I remember some Kbots making it back relatively unharmed with 2-3 kills and feeling rite proud of them.

Little did he know I had my air-force gaining in numbers whilst he was trying to re-build cannons. They went in in small numbers and routed out the commander from the south and the north FTW, he didn't have time to rebuild anti-air defence.

That was a 7 hour battle and probably the most dramatic I've ever seen in a RTS.

The nuke defence towers are great. Nothing better than watching the little red dot on the radar getting intersected by your little blue dot followed by loads of harmless fire in the sky. I was the first clever bastard to build two seperate nuke towers at opposing sides of the map for simlutaneous deployment, naturally.

Too late, too many spelling mistakes, too much enthusiasm, now I won't sleep thinking about this game and the battles we had.

Comment

Working...
                              X