New Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Playing New Super Mario on the DS has been a real breath of fresh air! I mean seriously it took me way back to the good ol days of gaming. Back to the days I'd be playing nothing but mario and Sonic. Which got me thinking.. Why doesnt sonic team do the same for a sonic game? Sure we've had sonic advance and rush but please! They come nowhere near the greatness of the original 4 megadrive titles. So come on Sonic Team! How bout it? A true sequel to sonic 3 & knuckles! Just like nintendo did with Mario! I think it would be a great hit!

Yeah would be great, i was growing up with them Sonic games on the megadrive back in the 90's.

Comment

Sonic Rush was awesome, best Sonic in about 10 years!

Comment

Originally posted by adam_the_browndog
        Yeah would be great, i was growing up with them Sonic games on the megadrive back in the 90's.
        Totally! Would you agree with me in saying that all the recent efforts of sonic team have not been able to touch the originals in terms of sheer gameplay? I mean Sonic rush got me way excited when it first came out. But it just doesnt feel right.. Its everything from the crazy speed, to the music and even the graphics. Its just not the same anymore. I dont think that the graphics in Rush did it any favours.

Comment

Never played any of the sonics on dreamcast.

I have a few of the games on ps2 but there no fun, got to get the hang of 3D sonicness.

Even the Sonic cartoon series 'Sonic X' .. i found it the worst of the sonic cartoons even though it's popular world wide.

Why i ask, why haven't they released Sonic Saturday AM series on DVD!! this was the best. and they go release sonic X on bloody dvd. shambles.

Sonic Rush?

Comment

The Sonic Advance games are as near as you could hope for the time being. Sonic Advance 1 and 2 in particular are similar to the Mega Drive games, but a lot faster and with the option of using the other pointless characters.

Comment

There was Sonic 1 & 2 on Megadrive, and Sonic CD tho imo that is hit and miss, probably OTT................after that its mediocre for 2D sonic.....the GBA ones are OK, Sonic 3 is lame, Sonic & Knuckle was near return (that 2nd level music, omfg).

Matser System 1 & 2 are mega also, I dont rekkon they could get back to that greatness, but being 25, i dont see how it could capture my imagination again.

Comment

sonic rush 2 would do me fine!

but yeah an all new megadrive style one would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_the_browndog
                  Even the Sonic cartoon series 'Sonic X' .. i found it the worst of the sonic cartoons even though it's popular world wide.

Why i ask, why haven't they released Sonic Saturday AM series on DVD!! this was the best. and they go release sonic X on bloody dvd. shambles.

Sonic Rush?
                  Actually, there's a story behind this. There is a DVD of Sonic SatAM out, with 5 episodes - I have it. Near impossible to find now though. DIC released it a few years back.
                  However, Buena Vista (the Disney people) apparently own the distribution rights for the series, from way back when they were DIC's distributor. They were pretty pissed about the release, and threatened DIC.
                  A gutting thing too, as interviews with people at DIC reveal they had designed the packaging for a DVD box set, content from the unfinished Season 3 and everything!

I guess the sickening part of this is the fact that Buena Vista are sitting on the licence with no intention to do anything with it.
                  And yes, Sonic X was total balls, offloading the roles of the other Sonic characters to the conpletely retarded Chris character, who serves no real purpose in the series other than to enrage the viewer.

Getting back on topic, I loved Sonic Rush, but it was clear to anyone that it lacked something. Some thing that made old Sonic so cool.

Lets think about this for a sec. New 2D Sonic games are all about running as fast as you can. Why is this bad? Well, go play the old Sonic games.... much slower paced huh? There was a real explorative element to the games. Sure, you pretty much followed one path, but it wasn't just left to right. The levels were as high as they were deep, and the slower pace meant that people LEARNT the levels, grew attached to them. We must have known most Sonic stages by heart at one point, or were at least familiar - cannot say this about any new 2D Sonic.

Lets not also forget the multitude of falls to the death, which completely contradict the newer 2D Sonic games focus on pure speed over level depth. Sonic Team realised this sucked long ago, creators of the new 2D games 'Dimps' have not.

I am more tolerant of the 3D Sonic games... enjoyed SA1 and 2 a lot, mainly because they had their own appeals and identities, and weren't trying to 'be' the old games like the GBA ones do.
                  Sonic Heroes and Shadow are tosh though.
                  Last edited by sj33; 07-08-2006, 06:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                    Actually, there's a story behind this. There is a DVD of Sonic SatAM out, with 5 episodes - I have it. Near impossible to find now though. DIC released it a few years back.
                    However, Buena Vista (the Disney people) apparently own the distribution rights for the series, from way back when they were DIC's distributor. They were pretty pissed about the release, and threatened DIC.
                    A gutting thing too, as interviews with people at DIC reveal they had designed the packaging for a DVD box set, content from the unfinished Season 3 and everything!

I guess the sickening part of this is the fact that Buena Vista are sitting on the licence with no intention to do anything with it.
                    And yes, Sonic X was total balls, offloading the roles of the other Sonic characters to the conpletely retarded Chris character, who serves no real purpose in the series other than to enrage the viewer.

Getting back on topic, I loved Sonic Rush, but it was clear to anyone that it lacked something. Some thing that made old Sonic so cool.

Lets think about this for a sec. New 2D Sonic games are all about running as fast as you can. Why is this bad? Well, go play the old Sonic games.... much slower paced huh? There was a real explorative element to the games. Sure, you pretty much followed one path, but it wasn't just left to right. The levels were as high as they were deep, and the slower pace meant that people LEARNT the levels, grew attached to them. We must have known most Sonic stages by heart at one point, or were at least familiar - cannot say this about any new 2D Sonic.

Lets not also forget the multitude of falls to the death, which completely contradict the newer 2D Sonic games focus on pure speed over level depth. Sonic Team realised this sucked long ago, creators of the new 2D games 'Dimps' have not.

I am more tolerant of the 3D Sonic games... enjoyed SA1 and 2 a lot, mainly because they had their own appeals and identities, and weren't trying to 'be' the old games like the GBA ones do.
                    Agreed! Todays 2d sonics are just way too fast! While the old ones were slower, at the same time they were fast enough (still light years ahead of mario - speed-wise)

Sonic rush is a really great game in its own right but in no way a true sequel to the MD originals imo.

Something I hated about the advance games was that it was WAY too hard to get emeralds. Not only was it a mission to get to the bloody starpost in the first place, the actual spwecial stage is ludicrously hard to beat! Sonic advance 2 being my example. Finding those coins was a nightmare! They should've rewarder you with the emerald just for getting the coins.

Also I didnt particularly like the way the sprites in the advance games were "adventurised" Heh sorry for using that lame term, but I mean looking like there counterparts in the adventure games. Too cartoony! The original sprites look a lot more solid imo! And dont get me started on the voices in Rush. I mean for gods sake, SHUT THE **** UP TAILS!!

But yeah I think they should take a more retro approach if they want to make a true sequel for die hard (20 something ) fans lol. What miyamoto did mixing old with new was pure magic!

Comment

Madness SONIC II is still the fastest Sonic game even made in my eye's. Feck me the MD, my TV , the game, and my eye's had trouble keeping up with Sonic in Zone II of the chemical plant. I also never liked Sonic II, III that much , they were nothing to that of Sonic and Sonic CD in my eye's .
                      Sonic Rush onthe other hand is pure SONIC action all the way, fast insane action , kick ass music score and simple pick up fun, its the best Sonic 2D game made since Sonic CD in my eye's .

Now if only Sonic Team could do the same for the PSP with cell shaded graphics and ClockworkNight like 3D backrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                        Madness SONIC II is still the fastest Sonic game even made in my eye's. Feck me the MD, my TV , the game, and my eye's had trouble keeping up with Sonic in Zone II of the chemical plant. I also never liked Sonic II, III that much , they were nothing to that of Sonic and Sonic CD in my eye's .
                        Sonic Rush onthe other hand is pure SONIC action all the way, fast insane action , kick ass music score and simple pick up fun, its the best Sonic 2D game made since Sonic CD in my eye's .

Now if only Sonic Team could do the same for the PSP with cell shaded graphics and ClockworkNight like 3D backrounds
                        Oh yeah! I so remember that part from chemical plant! He goes so fast, the screen cant keep up with him! That was amazing. Yet the rest of the game seems to keep the pace nice and steady. Not too fast.. But yeah Im not comparing the old MD games with eachother, Im comparing them with the new 2d ones and still stick with what i said.

Feck the psp! Dont have one and dont want one! They can make it on the DS! Alongside New Super Mario Bros! More exploration, Easier emerald collecting and more of a retro feel. Thay could add in some of the familiar MD sfx and sprites.

Comment

I enjoyed Rush on release, but over time it became more obvious that it shares the same flaws as the Sonic Advance series.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33

Jakey who are the dimps you refer to? Is it not still Sonic team that make sonics? Are you just referring to their new staff members or summit?

Comment

Dude?

Comment

Working...
                              X