Moto Toon Grand Prix 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moto Toon Grand Prix 2

I cant find a mention of this game on the net anywhere, have I got the title wrong or is it not even for the DC? I recall that it was a fun little game, and for its time looked half decent, but was blessed with the catchiest theme music of them all 'go go go moto tooooooonnnn' or something.

Playstation only gotta be.

Comment

Aye PS only, Polyphony guys wasn't it?

Comment

Yeah, they re-released it in a double pack with Gran Turismo a few years back. Play Media in Wakefield had loads in a few months back for ?2.99 each. I got one just for MGP2 but it's dated quite badly, though still fun.

Comment

Just thought I post up a picture of my Japanese copy of Motor Toon Grand Prix 2.

And as Jazzfunk has said quite fun to play but also quite dated now.

Comment

I have the Jap version of MTGP1 and MTGP2 (which was released in the UK as MTGP) and the USA version, too. I love this game and I played it to death until completion - without a Negcon, too! I still play it now and again, though nowadays the controls seem too unforgiving - we've been spoilt with analog!

The first game was obviously rushed out - Sony style - to meet the PSX launch in Japan. It's a half finished version of the second game, which is I guess what it turned into when they actually finished it.

I also wrote the largest FAQ you'll find at http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/198006.html. Spoiler: the hover craft goes faster backwards than forwards, and racing in reverse does not flip the controls - so it's a legitimate way to play. You can also unlock (upon game completion) an early "version" of Gran Turismo. After seeing this hidden "demo" Sony asked them to do the game proper. There are tons of other unlockables.

I also write this topic http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=30036 on another forum a while back, just before I tracked down all my various copies. I originally played a dodgy HK gold version of the MTGP2.

marcus, you can't have looked that hard! though I agree, having come out "before the internet", there are few pictures of it on the web.

matt
            Last edited by gingerbeardman; 07-08-2006, 23:36.

Comment

emsef - in your opinion which games better mtgp1 or mtgp2?

As for mtgp2, I'm going to have to give this game a little run out again tomorrow. To be honest it's likely to be at least 12 months or more since it's last been played.

Comment

mtgp2 (called mtgp in the UK or USA) is the only one to bother with. It's likely the only one 98% of owners have. the only "real" mtgp is the jap one, and it plays and looks like the half finished mtgp2 that it is.

glad to see some interest in this game. have a look at my FAQ if you have the jap version of MTGP2, as you can unlock all the goodies with button presses. very interesting if you've never seen them.

Comment

Didn't know Motor Toon GP 1 was out in the UK - I thought they only released 2. So, judging by what you said about the UK/US versions of Motor Toon 1 actually being Motor Toon 2 in Japan, does that mean my UK Motor Toon 2 is actually Motor Toon 3 in Japan?

I'm either getting confused here or need a dunce cap real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by emsef
                    mtgp2 (called mtgp in the UK or USA) is the only one to bother with. It's likely the only one 98% of owners have. the only "real" mtgp is the jap one, and it plays and looks like the half finished mtgp2 that it is.

glad to see some interest in this game. have a look at my FAQ if you have the jap version of MTGP2, as you can unlock all the goodies with button presses. very interesting if you've never seen them.
                    Yeah the plan is to head over to your FAQ and see what goodies I've been missing out on.

I was also interested to see that mtgp in the UK ans US is the same game as mtgp2 in Japan. I used to play the local videogame store manager at mtgp back in the days of it's UK release. But because the gap between playing it then and buying my copy of mtgp2 I never realised it was the same game.

Thanks.

Comment

We're confused, I'll try to recap:

MTGP1 (JAP)
                      MTGP2 (JAP) -> MTGP (UK, USA)

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by emsef
                        We're confused, I'll try to recap:

MTGP1 (JAP)
                        MTGP2 (JAP) -> MTGP (UK, USA)

Does that make sense?
                        It's still a bit boggling but I'm assuming that the PAL UK MTGP2 I have (and which has exactly the same artwork as the JAP MTGP2 that Neostuey posted) is actually MTGP2, because I don't think MTGP1 ever came out over here and was "leapfrogged" by the sequel:

I think I've cracked it(?) We only got number 2.

You must understand what I mean here?!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

(apologies.)
                        Last edited by JazzFunk; 08-08-2006, 16:00.

Comment

You're making me crazy even, now.

I think that's it. Ignore me - sorry I didn't get mine out whilst typing my first email

matt

Comment

Apologies - I just re-edited my post. 2 is 2 but the Americans got the first as well, hence the name change you mention.

I think I think too much!

Cheers emsef.

Comment

I should have checked my facts! MTGP2 is MTGP2 in the UK, but not in the USA.

See here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...976735?ie=UTF8

So we have:
                              First game = MTGP (Jap)
                              Second game = MTGP2 (Jap) = MTGP2 (UK) = MTGP (USA)

presumably because the yanks would be "but what happened to the first one?"

Apologies.
                              matt
                              Last edited by gingerbeardman; 08-08-2006, 16:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X