The Sega 32X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sega 32X

This is part discussion of the 32X and part troubleshooting (for me at least!).

Basically I got my 32X way back at Christmas 95 (I think) and from the outset, it never worked properly. I have a Megadrive and a Megadrive II and the most I've ever got it to work was for about 15 minutes the day I got it.
    Needless to say, that was a very disappointing Christmas

Anyway, does anyone know what the situation with that console was? I've read on the net that there were problems all over the place and IIRC it was mainly to do with those metal prongs that were included. Anyone else get one of these and have nothing but trouble?

Leaving that aside, what were peoples favourite games on the console? As I recall, I hd (and still have) Virtua Fighter, Doom and Chaotix, with the later being a fantastic game and one I would love to see ported to the PSP or included on a Sega PS2 compilation.

Anyone else have memories of the 32X that they want to share?

Why didn't you take it back to the store for a replacement?
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I read at the time about problems with the 32X and very early runs of the original MD1 (the ones that had no 'Produced by..' screen on startup, and had the white writing along the top of the circle ring on the console), where it would mess up after 15 minutes or so - sounds like your problem. Pick up another cheap MD and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi
        Why didn't you take it back to the store for a replacement?
        To be honest, I've no idea actually. I know my dad knew a guy who was into gaming and had his own Sega only rental shop (he got my MD from the same guy) and I presume that's where he got the 32X from. As such I don't know what sort of warranty he had.
        Put it this way, if it had have been in warranty or replaceable, my dad would have been down to whoever sold him it the next day after spedning money on something that didn't work.

Comment

This may sound rather cold hearted but I'd flog it if I were you. As a gaming system it's pretty much a dead end, and fully boxed 32Xs can fetch a pretty penny on fleaBay. I sold mine (which was second hand and in a pretty tatty box) for ?70 over 3 years ago, I can only assume the price has gone up since then.

So sell it and use the funds to purchase a proper retro system - like a Japanese Saturn or Dreamcast (assuming you lack those already).

Comment

I've got a knackered unit that I've never bothered to get up and running. I'd like to try Star Wars, Zaxxon and the other space combat game that's supposed to be alright (can't remember it's damn name now).

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
              This may sound rather cold hearted but I'd flog it if I were you. As a gaming system it's pretty much a dead end, and fully boxed 32Xs can fetch a pretty penny on fleaBay. I sold mine (which was second hand and in a pretty tatty box) for ?70 over 3 years ago, I can only assume the price has gone up since then.

So sell it and use the funds to purchase a proper retro system - like a Japanese Saturn or Dreamcast (assuming you lack those already).
              To be honest, there's little to no chance of me selling it. It's not even boxed so I doubt it would go for much anyway.
              I've never been into selling my gaming stuff and for a console as notorious as the 32X was for all the problems it gave me, I'd rather keep it!

FWIW I don't own a JP DC or Saturn as I'm happy enough importing on my PAL machines atm.
              I do plan on buying the JP consoles sometime though.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                ?70 is probs a bit high these days - I got about ?40 for a complete boxed unit with 2 tatty games a couple of months back.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny

Leaving that aside, what were peoples favourite games on the console?
                  Spiderman is the best game on 32x, along with doom and a few others. I might play spiderman this weekend.

Comment

I fairly regularly play Space Harrier/Virtua Racing & Afterburner on my Jap 32x.

very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                      I've got a knackered unit that I've never bothered to get up and running. I'd like to try Star Wars, Zaxxon and the other space combat game that's supposed to be alright (can't remember it's damn name now).
                      I'm guessing, Stellar assault or darxide.

IMO Stellar Assault is one of the best games on the 32x. quite possibly the best original 32x exclusive title. It was one of the few 3D 32x titles made within the hardware specs and not trying to push the unit too far. They stuck with flat shaded polys, so the game runs pretty smoothly.

Infact, i'd say The graphics have a nice anime/starblade feel to them that grotty unfiltered low-res textures would have only ruined.

Comment

Hmm not sure it was either of those, but they sound interesting.

No it was "Shadow Squadron" http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/shadowsquadron/

looks pretty good, but might be **** for all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
                          Hmm not sure it was either of those, but they sound interesting.

No it was "Shadow Squadron" http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/shadowsquadron/

looks pretty good, but might be **** for all I know.
                          Shadow squadron is the US title for Stellar Assault, I knew i should have put that in the original post

Comment

DOH! I remember reading that somewhere now. CURSE my aging brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelli0n
                              IMO Stellar Assault is one of the best games on the 32x. quite possibly the best original 32x exclusive title..
                              It came out on the Saturn as well you know completely remade by SIMS. Still, the 32X original is a true classic.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X