Rez, boots 1% of the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rez, boots 1% of the time.

Mint condition copy, had it ages, but I've always wondered why it never boots unless I'm tilting my DC or trying, again, again, again and again.

And sometimes at the end of the level the game will crash.

The disc is mint, and I've had it on four different Dreamcasts.

I hate GD-ROM with a passion.

Something similar happened with my copy of powerstone 2

I got another copy of it and that worked fine so it must just have been a defective disk

Comment

Originally posted by SegaMark
      Mint condition copy, had it ages, but I've always wondered why it never boots unless I'm tilting my DC or trying, again, again, again and again.

And sometimes at the end of the level the game will crash.

The disc is mint, and I've had it on four different Dreamcasts.

I hate GD-ROM with a passion.
      Rez was one of the few Dreamcast games that got recalled as the first batch of UK disc's were faulty. They wouldn't load up or would crash during play, which sounds like your copy.

Most of the faulty games were recalled but some of them sliped though the net. I've got a later pressing of the game and it's worked fine on both my UK dreamcasts. So you might want to borrow another copy and give that a try.
      Last edited by S3M; 14-09-2006, 16:20.

Comment

I got mine sealed off eBay, so the seller must of got hold of the dodgy batch.

Found an NTSC-J copy, may as well use a boot disc or play it on my R7.

Cheers

Comment

wasn't confidential mission another one of these faulty first pressing dreamcast games?

Comment

Originally posted by SegaMark
            I got mine sealed off eBay, so the seller must of got hold of the dodgy batch.

Found an NTSC-J copy, may as well use a boot disc or play it on my R7.

Cheers
            I've heard of a couple of people getting stung with sealed copies of ebay.

Comment

Apparently, with one of the faulty copies like you have, the game will boot more often if you turn the Dreamcast upside down. I have no idea why that should be true but try it.

Comment

I thought you could fiddle with the DC's potentiometer to get these dodgy PAL Rezs to load?

Comment

I had this happen to a Shenmue disc. Didn't find out until half way through it recently. It used to work *cries*

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                    I had this happen to a Shenmue disc. Didn't find out until half way through it recently. It used to work *cries*
                    My Shenmue disc 2 crashes after a while, and it's in perfect condition.

Soul Calibur only boots if it feels like it, but can usually be coaxed into starting after a few tries.

Worms: Armageddon hasn't booted once.

Dragon's Blood crashed after a while and made the laser transport emit the most horrible noise while playing. (Yes, I know I'm not missing out on much).

I bought my Dreamcast new in late 2002 and it hasn't seen that much use (OK, a fair bit of Soul Calibur but nothing even approaching excessive).
                    Low build quality or poorly pressed discs, what do you think? (They're all in very good to excellent condition).

I've never had problems like this (except for perhaps the occasional troublesome game) with any other console, older or newer than the DC.
                    Last edited by elektronhjarnan; 14-09-2006, 19:11.

Comment

Had the same probs with a number of U.S titles on my U.S DC. But believe this was just the early launch titles; interestingly when I installed a chip (so I could boot Pal and Jap games) everything worked perfectly!? Odd indeed.
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Sounds like the pressing plans made to make PAL discs were doing a half arsed job. I have over 400 Japanese DC discs and not one fails to load. However I have 8 PAL discs, 2 of which give me trouble. Those being Shenmue 2 and MSR. They do load more often than not though.

Yakumo

Comment

I've got about 40 or so PAL GD-Roms (and a PAL launch console) and the only disc I've ever had any problems with at all is Rez. Tried all the turning the DC upside stuff and it made no difference. Disc was absolutely mint (can't remember if it was sealed or not). Ended up buying another copy with which I've never had any problems.

All my other games (PAL and NTSC) have always been fine.

Comment

I have a pal copy of snow surfers which has only ever loaded twice.

Comment

I've come across a couple of discs that simply wouldn't load at all despite being like new. PAL version of Space Channel 5 and a US Blue Stinger which was actually sealed. I tried all the various DC-X techniques and nothing could convince them to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X