Your favourite 8-bit games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite 8-bit games

Just like the 16 bit thread, what are your favourite 8-bit games?

Mine are;
    Sonic - The SMS version was even better than the Megadrive version IMO. It seemed to be faster and the level design was much more interesting (especially the jungle stages)
    North and South - I haven't played the game in years, but I have such fond memories of it. Classic
    The Ninja - I found it impossible when I was younger, but now I can appreciate how good a game this was.
    Mario 3 - Only suppased by the 2 snes mario games
    Psycho Fox - Great characters, good levels.

Mario 3 - anyone who doesn't agree should be killed

All the mario GB games.. and the Castlevanias too (which incidentally are up for sale as I need cash)

Also, Double Dragon II NES!

Comment

rocky on the master system utter crap now but i still love it
      Fantasy Zone on the master system the guys must've been smokin' sommat when they did that one

Comment

Mario 3 definately, first console game i had
        but battletoads has to be up there with my faves too, even if i didnt used to be any good on it

Comment

Wonderboy in Monsterland for the Master System. Most people prefer Wonderboy III (Dragons Trap) but it was the second instalment that hooked me on console gaming again. I was an Amiga owner at the time with no interest in console gaming. Me other half had joined a video club in Sidcup. Went to get a video one night and saw they sold games (imports as well). Saw the Master System playing Wonderboy in Monsterland and that was it.

The Amiga went for ?200 and I got a Master System, one of them funny joysticks with a big knob on then end, Hang-On game (on a card), Wonderboy, Wonderboy II and some soccer game.

Comment

Mario 3 - Without doubt the best 8-bit game I've ever played. It's just a magical experience from beginning to end that is still fresh after all these years. Everything from Goomba's boot to Dark world is just so fantasticly designed that you can't help fall in love with it.

Snake Rattle 'n Roll - Two player co-op at it's weirdest and most fun. It was the first time I came across a power-up that reversed your controls and it drove me nuts. Frustrating yes, but when you get a critical jump right even with screwed controls, it's a great feeling. Would love to see an update on the GBA.

Comment

Is the PC Engine considered to be 8 or 16 bit? If you call the PC Engine an 8bit machine then-

Gunhed series, Ninja Spirits, Bloody Wolf, Galaga88, Parodius, Gradius, PC Kid + others

Other 8 bit masterpieces-

Mastersystem - Wonderboy, Wonderboy 3, R-Type, Fantasy Zone, Cyborg Hunter, Phantasy Star

NES - Super Mario Bros Series, Elite, Taito Cutesy platformer series, Castlevania, Excitebike

Comment

The PC Engine is 8 bit, but saying that you could call the Super Famicom 8 Bit and the Jaguar 16 bit...

Comment

Sonic SMS I agree this was better than the MD original, it just feels so much better to play.

Any Mario game/Donkey Kong These games are just the best, I still spend hours on the original Mario trying to beat my highscore.

Streets of Rage SMS Not as good as the MD version, but damn was still a blast to play. Not only one of my fav 8-bit games, but also one of my fav in my entire collection.

Others that I can think of right now:

Mighty Final Fight (NES), Tecmo World Wrestling (NES), Phantasy Star (SMS), Alex Kidd in Miracle world (SMS) and Ninja Gaiden.

Comment

Just a brief post, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet. I don't think there are many 8bit games which shine those rose tinted glasses of us old timers quite as much as:

Elite

Nuff said, it needs no more explaining.

Comment

Originally posted by olly
                      Mario 3 - anyone who doesn't agree should be killed

All the mario GB games.. and the Castlevanias too (which incidentally are up for sale as I need cash)

Also, Double Dragon II NES!

Couldn't agree more. Mario Bros 3 is the best game to grace a 8bit machine and so close to being better than the 2 SNES Mario's. The little froggy upgrade, the awesome music, the hidden levels and being able to fly with a racoon tail are the main reasons why I love this game.

In my opinion the only game that comes close to matching this is Zelda on the original brick gameboy. That was 8 bit, right????

Comment

The PC Engine is 8 bit, but saying that you could call the Super Famicom 8 Bit and the Jaguar 16 bit...
                        Hehe, I had a fabulous discussion with a mates brother last week about how many bits each console contains. He was staggered to find that his Xbox wasn't 256 bit like the man in GAME told him. "32? But that would make it look worse than a Nintendo 64!! You don't know anything!!"

"What exactly is a bit anyway, seeing as you need so many?"

"Erm..."

Mind, he was equally surprised that he couldn't get LIVE by plugging it into an electrical socket, so maybe I should stop talking to him...

Sonic - The SMS version was even better than the Megadrive version IMO. It seemed to be faster and the level design was much more interesting (especially the jungle stages)
                        You speaketh the truth. Sonic on Master System was so deep. One of the finest platform experiences ever made, even if his trainers were orange . Jungle Act 2 was so evil, climbing up that waterfall. Mega Drive owners didn't know what they were missing. Getting Chaos Emeralds in SMS Sonic was so much harder than on MD too. The rolling log bit in Jungle and the blind drop of faith in Bridge were something else!

Thankfully it's going to be in Sonic DX for Cube, so I can get into that again without digging the MSII out of the cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs
                          You speaketh the truth. Sonic on Master System was so deep. One of the finest platform experiences ever made, even if his trainers were orange . Jungle Act 2 was so evil, climbing up that waterfall. Mega Drive owners didn't know what they were missing. Getting Chaos Emeralds in SMS Sonic was so much harder than on MD too. The rolling log bit in Jungle and the blind drop of faith in Bridge were something else!
                          The choas emerald placements were much harder to find than on the MD. The bridge level in which you had to stay on the falling bridge and time the jump perfectly was always risky, but really satisfying when you pulled it off.

Also on the first level of SMS Sonic, when you could time your jump on the invincibility and speed sneakers so you ended up going too fast for the screen . I loved that game.

Comment

Sonic SMS was ace, indeed. 2 was wanky though, imo.

Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap
                            Shinobi
                            Mario 3
                            Fantasy Zone II

Comment

Psycho Fox
                              Shinobi GG
                              Sonic The Hedgehog
                              Altered Beast
                              Fantasy Zone
                              Streets Of Rage 2
                              G-loc
                              Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (he was still cool when i was 8.)
                              Asterix (great platformer, one of the master system's best)
                              Gain Ground
                              SCI

Comment

Working...
                              X