Buying a DVD player ASAP - suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a DVD player ASAP - suggestions please

Of course I have one. Naturally. But I need to buy a cheaper one for my Dad for his birthday. Budget is up to about ?150 for a standalone player. Needs only be Region 2 to be honest, though would still prefer to get multi-regional if possible.

I've been to Techtronics.com and looked around, but as I haven't wanted to buy a DVD player for ages for myself, I haven't given the newer models the appropriate attention and don't know which ones are worthy of my cash (and my Dad's eyeballs).

So, suggestions please

Although I don't own one, the Yelo 800 player has recieved a lot of plaudits for balancing price and functionality, here's a link:

Comment

the place i work for are doing daewoo dvd/video combi for ?150 quid in a couple of weeks, it plays usa dvd's and has no macrovision on it either supports mp3,vcd,cd,dts and dolby 5.1

Comment

try these guys i got a philips q40 ex demo multi region from them quick delivery too

Comment

Thomson DTH210U. 80 pounds, excellent player IMO - VCD playback is not very stable and jumps up and down the two fields on the screen but if you're not playing VCDs, no probs. Plays DVDs perfectly. To make it multi regional, press 1670Power on the remote and turn it back on. Great entry level player.

www.comet.co.uk have it.

Comment

Cheers guys. I've shortlisted now and will be buying tomorrow, once I've discussed with my bro who's chipping in as well. It'll be late for his birthday, but he'll just have to deal with that

I spent a fair while going over various tests, and have also included the following players on my shortlist:

Toshiba SD-220E; Sony Picot DVP-PQ1; LG DVD-4750; Pioneer DV-44S

I can get a brand new multi-regional Sony Picot for just under ?110 (from Techtronics.com) and even though it's S-Video only I reckon it's probably the nicest for someone who simply wants to watch DVDs without any additional thrills or, indeeed, speakers. Like my Dad.

But I'll put forward all the recommendations and we'll see what we get 8)

Comment

I don't know if you bought one on Sunday, but if it isn't too late I'm really glad you're demoing the Tosh SD-220E; its fecking wonderful. My brother-in-law and I have both replaced our ?400 players with that model after seeing the glorious picture quality it offers. Its only ?119 from Richer or Amazon chipped, as well, which is a bargain.

Comment

The Pioneer DV350. ?99 inc delivery from Amazon. Multiregion out of the box, plays NTSC as NTSC or PAL60, plays MP3s, VCDs, SVCDs, CDR/Ws and DVDR/Ws. Has a digital audio coaxial out as well as RGB SCART and S-Video.

Comment

Working...
                X